coronavirus

47 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's a very interesting article in todays " Guardian " by an Irish writer called Elaine Doyle. It's comparing the respective methods of dealing with the crisis of our government and the Irish government. The bottom line - They are doing a lot better than we are.

Have you got a link? Sick of reading articles from journalists who think it's as simple as comparing a figure across two countries and thinking that tells us something useful. Would be nice to find one who's willing to do some actual investigation and provide context around the whole picture (comparative population densities, even cultural differences for example).

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-52284262

I hope this Nightingale is never used. And I would not consider it a waste of time or money. Better to have planned for the worst than to have not planned and for the existing hospitals to be swamped.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, shrek said:

Seeing a few posts that the official guidance has been updated, not sure when as its not time stamped so sorry if this is old news, but just for info for anyone that its relevant to who might have missed it;

My stepson received notice of the change from the National Autistic Society on 9th April.

https://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/media-centre/news/2020-04-09-guidance-on-exercise-coronavirus.aspx 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There's a very interesting article in todays " Guardian " by an Irish writer called Elaine Doyle. It's comparing the respective methods of dealing with the crisis of our government and the Irish government. The bottom line - They are doing a lot better than we are.

Of course they are. As you will be aware, we are useless at everything, all the time. All other countries are better at everything than us. I'm just surprised so many like you still stay in this gigantic failed state. 

This just in from Mt brother in law who works for a funeral directors south of Galagow. 

only wear mask when removing desceased non-covid, removal of covids are fully PPE. We have 6 covids coffined ready for funerals. They are double body bagged, and not reopened. When coffining we have to wear apron, double gloves, mask and goggles. Coffins are then stored in a separate area than all other deceased. There is no embalming for anyone, we are not accepting any clothes from relatives to dress, viewing is still going on. No more than 10 close family at burials and cremations. No limousines. It all feels very strange. 

16 minutes ago, tim2 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-52284262

I hope this Nightingale is never used. And I would not consider it a waste of time or money. Better to have planned for the worst than to have not planned and for the existing hospitals to be swamped.

In the hospital I work in we're very quiet in terms of actual number of people in the hospital. That isn't to say there's not more pressure on ICU or more patients requiring ventilation than normal just that we don't have corridors full of patients at the moment. Obviously this is largely down to elective surgery being cancelled and far fewer patients coming through a&e.

I wonder if they would consider making use of the nightingale hospitals to allow more elective surgery to go ahead in regular areas. As you said though, much better to have them and not need them. Just the experience of having done it will be good practice for any future pandemics.

1 minute ago, JohnM said:

Of course they are. As you will be aware, we are useless at everything, all the time. All other countries are better at everything than us. I'm just surprised so many like you still stay in this gigantic failed state. 

I haven't got much choice at the moment. Leaving the house to have a walk around the common is as good as it gets. Read the article, the stats speak for themselves. Twice as many people are dying pro rata in the UK than in the Irish Republic.

34 minutes ago, Moove said:

Have you got a link? Sick of reading articles from journalists who think it's as simple as comparing a figure across two countries and thinking that tells us something useful. Would be nice to find one who's willing to do some actual investigation and provide context around the whole picture (comparative population densities, even cultural differences for example).

Sorry I can't do links. I've no doubt somebody a lot smarter than I am will oblige you. It's worth reading.

5 minutes ago, fevtom said:

In the hospital I work in we're very quiet in terms of actual number of people in the hospital. That isn't to say there's not more pressure on ICU or more patients requiring ventilation than normal just that we don't have corridors full of patients at the moment. Obviously this is largely down to elective surgery being cancelled and far fewer patients coming through a&e.

I wonder if they would consider making use of the nightingale hospitals to allow more elective surgery to go ahead in regular areas. As you said though, much better to have them and not need them. Just the experience of having done it will be good practice for any future pandemics.

As you say good practice for the next one, plus it gave all the building trade guys a job to do. My wife's best friend's son worked on the one in Manchester.

At least there aren't any fantastical claims being made anywhere.....

The commander of the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps has unveiled a handheld device that he said could identify people infected with the coronavirus within 100m (330ft), Tasnim news agency reports.

"The basis of this device is to create a magnetic field based on a bipolar virus inside the device, so its antenna can focus on any place within a 100m diameter that is infected by the virus, and identify the infected place in five seconds," Maj-Gen Hossein Salami was quoted as saying.

He added that its accuracy was "80%”, but provided no evidence.

21 minutes ago, JohnM said:

This just in from Mt brother in law who works for a funeral directors south of Galagow. 

only wear mask when removing desceased non-covid, removal of covids are fully PPE. We have 6 covids coffined ready for funerals. They are double body bagged, and not reopened. When coffining we have to wear apron, double gloves, mask and goggles. Coffins are then stored in a separate area than all other deceased. There is no embalming for anyone, we are not accepting any clothes from relatives to dress, viewing is still going on. No more than 10 close family at burials and cremations. No limousines. It all feels very strange. 

That's the same process here. If in hospital, confirmation and certification of death is done, body in a bag, bag decontaminated, put in 2nd bag then off to funeral directors/morgue. Bag never to be opened again short of a court order that'll never be granted. If out of hospital, it's area dependent but many funeral directors are insisting the same process as close as possible or they won't show up to collect the bodies.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sorry I can't do links. I've no doubt somebody a lot smarter than I am will oblige you. It's worth reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/14/coronavirus-uk-ireland-delay

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)

22 minutes ago, ckn said:

That's the same process here. If in hospital, confirmation and certification of death is done, body in a bag, bag decontaminated, put in 2nd bag then off to funeral directors/morgue. Bag never to be opened again short of a court order that'll never be granted. If out of hospital, it's area dependent but many funeral directors are insisting the same process as close as possible or they won't show up to collect the bodies.

There are plague graves that they daren't reopen even after 400 years.

But it was a funeral director who I heard from about the pressure (from some) to not mark deaths as covid because of the difference between how covid/non covid bodies, funerals etc are treated.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Interesting again that the 50%+ over hospital deaths figure has been shown again in Scotland with Sturgeon saying 596 of the total 962 deaths took place in hospital. It does make an easy ready reckoner when the UK government refuses to add non-hospital deaths to the total.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

761 according to Sky, although their numbers seemed out yesterday when I looked. 

I think the discrepancy might be in their wording of "died in hospital". Scotland may have included some community deaths in their figures so perhaps sky deducted them for a more standardised count across the UK?

Just a guess.

19 minutes ago, fevtom said:

I think the discrepancy might be in their wording of "died in hospital". Scotland may have included some community deaths in their figures so perhaps sky deducted them for a more standardised count across the UK?

Just a guess.

Either way, it's not a dramatic turn in any direction. Glass half full, glass half empty day.

I spoke to my Brother today, he's a Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon on the Surrey Hampshire border. He's currently covering 4 different posts, his normal surgical work, although if it can wait three months it does at the moment, he's doing 2 or three shifts 4 - midnight in A&E, he's putting a number of shifts on ITU and he's doing rounds on the medical wards. I suggested he'd finally turned into Doctor Gregory House and advised it may look like Lupus but it never is. 

At the other side of the news from the 106 year old woman recovering is this horrible story

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Interesting again that the 50%+ over hospital deaths figure has been shown again in Scotland with Sturgeon saying 596 of the total 962 deaths took place in hospital. It does make an easy ready reckoner when the UK government refuses to add non-hospital deaths to the total.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.   

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.   

It's not though, especially when certain interested parties, including some media sources, are using it as an example of why the lockdown should be ended early.

Archived