coronavirus

Blood plasma treatment trials getting underway in Wales https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-antibody-transfusion-wales-cardiff-18087216 Plenty of trials into this going on elsewhere in the world although I don't think there are yet any controlled results to show whether it is effective or not.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Ireland as one. After South extends lockdown for further three  weeks ,North follows suit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-northern-ireland-52274367

Given that the four nations meet on a regular basis to discuss these things, I'd imagine England, Wales and Scotland will follow Northern Ireland by announcement either today or tomorrow (legally an announcement has to be made by Thursday).  

⚠️ Warning ⚠️ light-hearted post! 

Most of my friends are setting themselves silly physical challenges (running a marathon round the garden etc) during these strange times... 

I’ve done something else... bake a chocolate cake. And this is the result... (yes - that’s two sponges that haven’t risen!). C- at best... 

?

E9107A9E-C2C1-40A1-A5B1-C5064362BA4E.jpeg

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Most of my friends are setting themselves silly physical challenges (running a marathon round the garden etc) during these strange times... 

I’ve done something else... bake a chocolate cake. And this is the result... (yes - that’s two sponges that haven’t risen!). C- at best... 

?

<snip>

Not a physical challenge but I'm going to wash my car tomorrow, something I've not done for I'd guess getting on for 15 years.

PS as long as it tastes fine who cares what it looks like!

Been a stressful week. Family stuff permitting, I'm getting set in the garden with some sounds on and sod the virus.

I've been doffed in PPE today... cant see a bloody thing... its irritating,  its uncomfortable... its absolutely necessary.

Huuuuge respect to the brethren in ICU doing this all shift. How on earth they manage that lord only knows.

Been a long day

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

Been a stressful week. Family stuff permitting, I'm getting set in the garden with some sounds on and sod the virus.

I've been doffed in PPE today... cant see a bloody thing... its irritating,  its uncomfortable... its absolutely necessary.

Huuuuge respect to the brethren in ICU doing this all shift. How on earth they manage that lord only knows.

Been a long day

I did three days of being in full NBC kit on an exercise once in the army, with random CS gas sticks and pellets thrown into our areas to see if we were cheating. I was ready to rip it off and suck up the CS gas by the end of the second day, and would have happily resigned on the spot if we'd been asked to go into a fourth day. I simply could not do the heavy duty kit that the ITU folk have to wear for the time they have to do it. Beyond respect for them doing that with the job they have to do.

And in the army, we did the usual army thing of hurrying up to wait while these folk are at it non-stop. A whole different level of complexity and discomfort that deserves every bit of respect offered.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

16 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

?

My eldest daughter is currently icing a banana loaf she made - (but she burnt the slices of banana she was trying to make into banana chips for decoration)

16 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

?

Strict adherence to the recipe and practice! Treat it like drill (obviously soldier standards of drill rather than officers')

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, ckn said:

I did three days of being in full NBC kit on an exercise once in the army, with random CS gas sticks and pellets thrown into our areas to see if we were cheating. I was ready to rip it off and suck up the CS gas by the end of the second day, and would have happily resigned on the spot if we'd been asked to go into a fourth day. I simply could not do the heavy duty kit that the ITU folk have to wear for the time they have to do it. Beyond respect for them doing that with the job they have to do.

And in the army, we did the usual army thing of hurrying up to wait while these folk are at it non-stop. A whole different level of complexity and discomfort that deserves every bit of respect offered.

i once did 1 hour in it during cadets when the local TA guys sent to do an exercise with us decided to beast the school kids by making us do various tasks in it finishing up by running around the tennis courts for 10 mins rifle (read old lee enfield 303's) above head before entering the range and firing off 20 shots unrested on the 22's to proof how much breathing matters for aim

27 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

?

Nice, I see the you have the " Le Creuset " logo on that jar turned outwards for maximum snob value. My wife does the same.

YAY!  One of the British modified ventilators has been approved.  (I never thought I would write that sentence!)  Formula 1 and the other Challenge manufacturers will now get on with producing loads of them.

The modified CPAP is now being manufactured in big numbers too as they've also been approved.  It's good that the engineers who designed it have uploaded the specs for free and apparently - according to the TV news tonight - 25 countries have expressed an interest.  

46 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Just for a bit of light relief, with his monkey puzzle tree in the background here's BBC North West's great weatherman ...

Was gutted when he left look north. Owain is a breath of fresh air. He's fun, infectious fun....and has style. Few can rock a suit like owain can.

9 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Was gutted when he left look north. Owain is a breath of fresh air. He's fun, infectious fun....and has style. Few can rock a suit like owain can.

Yes he's a brilliant weatherman and a natural in front of the camera. As someone once said - " I'd like to meet his tailor ".

That's one for the music buffs  on here.

And his hair was perfect!

5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Warren.... showing your age!!?

Even though our utter, unquestioned dominance in the sport has ended, all Wiganers believe that we are really just indulgently letting the other teams win for a while in order to make it more interesting.

Stuart Maconie, Cider with Roadies

"cause people often talk about being scared of change but for me I'm more afraid of things staying the same cause the game is never won by standing in any one place for too long"

Nick Cave

20 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Aye, he's definitely got the sharp suit sorted.  And yes, he is fun.  He's been especially appreciated during the lockdown.  Sorry we nicked him from you!

But I'm suffering from drum envy.  I always wanted to learn the drums and began lessons a few years back but I couldn't afford a kit, and indeed didn't have anywhere to put one even if I'd had the money, so all I have left now are tattered dreams and two rather good drum sticks!  So I just love what he does to the opening track.  He plays well, especially considering he is self-taught.  

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

Aye, he's definitely got the sharp suit sorted.  And yes, he is fun.  He's been especially appreciated during the lockdown.  Sorry we nicked him from you!

But I'm suffering from drum envy.  I always wanted to learn the drums and began lessons a few years back but I couldn't afford a kit, and indeed didn't have anywhere to put one even if I'd had the money, so all I have left now are tattered dreams and two rather good drum sticks!  So I just love what he does to the opening track.  He plays well, especially considering he is self-taught.  

if you can ever find a set (discontinued now) look for a set or Arbiter Flat Lites - a drum kit that takes up little space, can be played for acoustic sets but is not electronic

image.jpeg.1a84e50c939ea3fe765921e245abb909.jpeg

Breaking news - which is a potential game changer where I live.

The deputy head of district is the first confirmed case positive for Covid-19. 

https://makassar.tribunnews.com/2020/04/16/breaking-news-hasil-swab-wakil-bupati-tana-toraja-dinyatakan-positif-corona

At first, it smelt like fake news, but this morning he has posted a video himself from the hospital isolation ward on YouTube. So, unless he's scamming us...

He is completely symptomless, but had a 'quick test' along with other people while promoting this test for market workers and drivers, which came up positive.

Following this, he then had a swab test, which was then taken directly by the doctor to a hospital lab in Makassar (200 miles away), which has also turned out to be positive.

He will have been mixing with many people while most of us have been in lockdown and probably travelling around quite a bit too, effectively quite high risk. 

As I've stated before, there are zero facilities here to deal with any kind of outbreak. The area has a population of 440k. Up until now, I felt fairly confident that the remoteness of the region and fairly prompt "lockdown" would protect us here, but now there may be more of a fight on.

Archived