coronavirus

Robin. I have just apologised for the wording of my post. I know full well how hard you people in the N.H.S work and have nothing but admiration for the vast majority of the N.H.S. staff. Indeed I have one grandaughter that works in the N.H.S and another grandaughters husband that works in the N.H.S.My query, wrongly put,I admit was why if there was, apparently 38,000 tests available did only 21,000 turn up for them when all we have heard for weeks is that there are not enough tests.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Robin. I have just apologised for the wording of my post. I know full well how hard you people in the N.H.S work and have nothing but admiration for the vast majority of the N.H.S. staff. Indeed I have one grandaughter that works in the N.H.S and another grandaughters husband that works in the N.H.S.My query, wrongly put,I admit was why if there was, apparently 38,000 tests available did only 21,000 turn up for them when all we have heard for weeks is that there are not enough tests.

Fair enough. I can't answer your question yet.

36 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

CKN,

Apparently there was scope for 38,000 tests today but apparently only 21,000 turned up for the test. Any idea why, could it be that a lot of N.H.S. workers are on their annual six months sick with pay,and do not want to go back to work.Or am I just being cynical?

14 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

This is an affront to all of my colleagues towin their tripe out and risking their lives in the most stressful of circumstances. Medical staff are dying out there you ****house.

I hope you step over then line far enough to be banned from.these boards. Keep on and it's likely to be me that's banned. 

I may well take CKN's advice and deploy ignore mode. 

Shame on you. 

I'm aware of one NHS worker who is currently on the sick and is helping with lambing on the family farm.

They are not all "angels".

3 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

We have heard great discrepancies between stated capacity and what has actually been tested. I would take the 38,000 figure with a great pinch of salt. How many NHS workers were actually offered one? Did their work allow them the time to get one?

48 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

No, I am not a troll, far from it. I hold my hand up and agree my wording of the request was not very well worded. I will try it this way, is it correct that when any N.H.S worker is off with illness or the like they receive a total of six months with pay per year.?

I've worked for the NHS since June but I don't receive any sick pay if I am off work. Fortunately I haven't had any. 

41 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Why were you expecting 38k NHS staff to go for tests? You are positioning it as though 38k were booked in and loads didn't show up. 

And why do you begrudge some people having employment benefits? 

From what I have seen some of the testing centers are set up in car parks at retail parks on the edge of town (where the Darkness is!)  Why couldn't they be placed in Hospital car parks, they are not exactly full at present and would be more convenient for staff, ambulance service, police etc.         Common sense really.

2 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

From what I have seen some of the testing centers are set up in car parks at retail parks on the edge of town (where the Darkness is!)  Why couldn't they be placed in Hospital car parks, they are not exactly full at present and would be more convenient for staff, ambulance service, police etc.         Common sense really.

One was set up at Salford’s ground. No one going there isn’t new ? 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

13 minutes ago, ckn said:

One was set up at Salford’s ground. No one going there isn’t new ? 

The travel and queues to get away are always horrendous

Or maybe they were worried that Sale RU would be playing

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I was thinking earlier. The images from Italy when they were near the peak were far more grim than any images we are seeing here. We were seeing coffins lined up and chaos in hospitals. 

It all seems very civilised here during this period, are we simply handling it better, or have a far higher capacity? Or are our issues just spread more thinly over larger areas? 

I think the extra few weeks we had before the peak probably helped us free up a lot of non covid beds for extra capacity. Also it seems that Italy was particularly bad in a small area of the North, we probably managed to avoid having it quite so bad in one region. 

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'm trying to remember what we thought when we though it ... a few days ago I saw a retweet of a Fraser Nelson column from a few days before that where he said Covid would be fine because we would definitely have less than 5,700 deaths.

What's it going to be now? 25,000? 30,000? More than that?

Why is this surprising ? We were told weeks ago that 20,000 or less would be a “good” outcome.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Just now, Derwent said:

Why is this surprising ? We were told weeks ago that 20,000 or less would be a “good” outcome.

I'm not sure that I meant that it's surprising, more just a complete change of perspective.

And Nelson - of the Spectator/Telegraph/Spiked continuum - wrote his piece after that was given as a 'good outcome'.

A realistic outcome has to be 30,000+ now, doesn't it?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm not sure that I meant that it's surprising, more just a complete change of perspective.

And Nelson - of the Spectator/Telegraph/Spiked continuum - wrote his piece after that was given as a 'good outcome'.

A realistic outcome has to be 30,000+ now, doesn't it?

Fair enough maybe I misunderstood.

The outcome depends on the public and how we behave. That’s the truth of the matter. The only people who can stop the spread are the general public. People can rant about government but essentially it boils down to 2 things - firstly the public behaving responsibly and secondly the scientists producing a vaccine. I have faith the second one will happen in time, I have less faith about the first one. I hope I’m wrong but I honestly think we will see a second wave once lockdown restrictions are lifted. Looking on social media a frighteningly large number of people seem to think once the government eases things they will be able to go back to pre-pandemic life straight away.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

8 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Fair enough maybe I misunderstood.

The outcome depends on the public and how we behave. That’s the truth of the matter. The only people who can stop the spread are the general public. People can rant about government but essentially it boils down to 2 things - firstly the public behaving responsibly and secondly the scientists producing a vaccine. I have faith the second one will happen in time, I have less faith about the first one. I hope I’m wrong but I honestly think we will see a second wave once lockdown restrictions are lifted. Looking on social media a frighteningly large number of people seem to think once the government eases things they will be able to go back to pre-pandemic life straight away.

I must admit, I just don't hear this from anybody I actually speak to. Not a single person. Everyone I speak to is expecting a rather long haul on this, I'm not convinced the media are portraying the people's view on this, which would hardly be a surprise. 

A lot of noise around lockdown ending appears to be coming from people with financial interests in opening for business, as in the rich people, not the lower end struggling to just pay the bills. 

Just now, Dave T said:

I must admit, I just don't hear this from anybody I actually speak to. Not a single person. Everyone I speak to is expecting a rather long haul on this, I'm not convinced the media are portraying the people's view on this, which would hardly be a surprise. 

A lot of noise around lockdown ending appears to be coming from people with financial interests in opening for business, as in the rich people, not the lower end struggling to just pay the bills. 

FB_IMG_1587145816310.jpg

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I completely agree with this. The media are completely out of tune to anyone that I know or any survey I have seen.

the thing is whilst the labs may have ramped up to being able to cope with 38k per day tests, have the testing centers also ramped up AND MORE IMPORTANTLY we have spent the last month screaming that people shouldnt be tested unless needed (look at the issues over Give's daughter being tested) so who has communicated what to whom over who is now eligible and should be turning up at those testing centres. I expect it will take up to 7 days to filter through

22 minutes ago, Damien said:

I completely agree with this. The media are completely out of tune to anyone that I know or any survey I have seen.

The same survey that *some* on the right like to show that shows 60%+ support for the government also shows 90%+ support for continuing or increasing lockdown.

Virtually nobody aside from some extreme voices on here or hacks in the pay of dubious media types have any interest in coming out of restrictions too soon.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Well why don’t you ask your grand daughter or your other grand daughter’s husband so they can see what a POS you are as well?

Shadow, I have just taken your advice and asked them. Grandaughters husband gets 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay. Grandaughter gets 4 months full pay and four half pay.They have no idea why only 21000 took the chance to get tested.If that is what you wanted me to ask them there is their answers.As to what you think of me is of no consequence to me.

6 minutes ago, fairfolly said:

Shadow, I have just taken your advice and asked them. Grandaughters husband gets 6 months full pay and 6 months half pay. Grandaughter gets 4 months full pay and four half pay.They have no idea why only 21000 took the chance to get tested.If that is what you wanted me to ask them there is their answers.As to what you think of me is of no consequence to me.

I hope you got to see the first answer I posted before it was deleted, that’s what I think of you.

If you want facts rather than opinion,  I direct you to the Twitter Feed of Professor David Paton, Professor of Industrial Economics at Nottingham University who has been number cruncing the published stats here and abroad.

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

3 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

If you want facts rather than opinion,  I direct you to the Twitter Feed of Professor David Paton, Professor of Industrial Economics at Nottingham University who has been number cruncing the published stats here and abroad.

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern

Sorry but he has no grasp of epidemiology - this is not an economics exercise it is about disease vectors and  transmission multipliers

I did econometrics at Uni and can see how completely irrelevant the maths is to this kind of issue - I am sorry but I would always trust a medical professor over an economics professor

Archived