coronavirus

I like others are in a High Risk Group. Whether its the Cancer etc that kills us or the Virus, is not really that important to me. Each person cant go around living in a bubble and trying to avoid death. Life is life & Death is Death-you sometimes cant avoid it.

What we can do is wash hands, avoid as much contact with others etc and maybe look to arrange Family members to do shopping etc for us. Each person is responsible for what he does and how he conducts himself.

Sadly we have a number of idiots even within our Family/Friends Group at times. Its probably best to avoid these people as best as possible if they are still failing to stay home, take precautions and possibly putting us & others at risk with their conduct. Thats just my opinion!

The Virus in its various forms is here to stay and will not just disappear over Summer or even in a Couple of years in my opinion. Life needs to go go on but we also have to accept the changes etc that life will be in future for all of us-young & old

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, redjonn said:

For example yesterday Vallance did seem a little critical in his tone of a question about possibility of vaccine and that we should ensure we as in UK keep it and the implied sod the rest of world.

The question implied we should sod the rest of the world or his answer did?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

The question implied we should sod the rest of the world or his answer did?

the journalist question... not vallance he said the vaccine could be from anywhere in the world and hence needed to support all efforts... the journalist was referring to a UK potential vaccine (Oxford)...vallance  said their was a number of potential but often early enthusiasms doesn't lead to success.

sorry not to be clear - the journalist implied

The other thing that people are missing is that the death count is only the immediate impact. The hospitalisation count is roughly four times that of the death count. Half of those hospitalised will come out with significant long term illnesses. Most of the others will be ill for ages to come. Even of those not hospitalised, a good few will not be right for a long time with fatigue and other illnesses. 

This isn’t something we can just bash through and hope it goes away. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

27 minutes ago, redjonn said:

the journalist question... not vallance he said the vaccine could be from anywhere in the world and hence needed to support all efforts... the journalist was referring to a UK potential vaccine (Oxford)...vallance  said their was a number of potential but often early enthusiasms doesn't lead to success.

sorry not to be clear - the journalist implied

Thanks. Does sound like a properly stupid question but then I have nothing but contempt for most of the political hacks doing the questioning. Not because the government don’t need to be questioned but because the lobby/Westminster journos are again the wrong people to do it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

25 minutes ago, ckn said:

The other thing that people are missing is that the death count is only the immediate impact. The hospitalisation count is roughly four times that of the death count. Half of those hospitalised will come out with significant long term illnesses. Most of the others will be ill for ages to come. Even of those not hospitalised, a good few will not be right for a long time with fatigue and other illnesses. 

As is being shown by our Prime Minister. When did he first show symptoms? That’s a long time ill.

(And not making any snide point about him, he’s just a good example everyone knows about)

28 minutes ago, ckn said:

Yes , which again opens up , or in fact shuts it down , the discussions on Sport returning , this virus could quite easily end careers if it reacts badly on any pro sportsperson 

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Thanks. Does sound like a properly stupid question but then I have nothing but contempt for most of the political hacks doing the questioning. Not because the government don’t need to be questioned but because the lobby/Westminster journos are again the wrong people to do it.

don't know about whom are the right one's to ask questions... the problem is being objective in questioning rather than a)wanting your snippet for follow on news even if question has already been asked or b)just looking for a sensational headline.

Anyway one of us can identify where potential pinch points are or where going to occur. If the questions came early as distinct from when a potential problem hits then I would think at least they thought through the huge task to be undertaken - rather then them not having the capability to see where potential problems would occur.

Just an example and not extensive - Whether that be logistical issues, which even expert army chaps are struggling with or just purchasing, etc.. hence how going to handle such and if problem worldwide what doing to produce in quantities here. Plus say what contingencies if unable to get hold of something of worldwide shortages. 

That is a thoughtful constructive question that check-points plan or plans in place. As always going to have individual issue or problems the key being having, strategy,  plan and execution.  Then trying to correct as experience throws up issue's.    Otherwise its just simplistic reactive noise that one switches off from..  

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The question was framed along the lines of 'how are the government going to ensure that it is at the front of the queue to buy the 1 million vaccines that are being produced in advance of official test results, such is the confidence of the university producing them'.

Vallance replied along the lines of there being around 40 similar vaccine programmes running around the world, only 2 currently in clinical trials and a very low success rate typical of such trials.  We should not get ahead of ourselves and think the solution is going to be here within a couple of weeks. He has said similar until he is blue in the face. 

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I never claim to be anything but shallow.

A week ago (roughly) you gave the lockdown two weeks.

Still think that?

Yup, should have been. Impose restrictions on the at-risk; leave the rest of us to take our chances.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

9 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Yup, should have been. Impose restrictions on the at-risk; leave the rest of us to take our chances.

I'd be in the at risk group so this would impact on me and my wife in a very serious way. However I think ultimately that will be the policy the government comes up with. I don't like it but I can't see any real alternative.

13 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Apologies - I think I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that we might see people start to more actively break the lockdown if it carried on for two weeks. I do wonder if that's something we might start to see soon.

6 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

888 more deaths announced in the UK today.

Aren't we meant to get a decrease on the weekend?!

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd be in the at risk group so this would impact on me and my wife in a very serious way. However I think ultimately that will be the policy the government comes up with. I don't like it but I can't see any real alternative.

Men are twice as likely do die from covid than women.

I'm surprised to see some folk advocating that the lasses should get more freedom to go out and enjoy themselves but I suppose that's feminism for you.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Apologies - I think I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that we might see people start to more actively break the lockdown if it carried on for two weeks. I do wonder if that's something we might start to see soon.

I think we are already seeing it. I thought I saw on the briefing graph that vehicle use had increased yesterday and I expect that to continue today. I think some people have had enough and don't have the requisite self-control.

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Aren't we meant to get a decrease on the weekend?!

Indeed. It is worrying that the trends usually return a fairly significant decrease on a Saturday. The ray of hope is that we are still playing catch up from the previous week, a time we are led to believe was the peak.

11 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

888 more deaths announced in the UK today.

Not out of line with what the science has been warning us. Look at Spain and italy - it peaked but we're now in a plateau of deaths.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I think the tru figure can probably be estimated from the total number of registered deaths, which takes a while to come through. Comapring that aginst prior March< April, May, June, July, August... will give us a better picture. My view is that we've already gone through 20,000 and we're on target for more than 40,000 in this first wave.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Drop usually comes Monday and Tuesday. Last couple of weekends numbers announced have followed the increasing trend on the Saturday and Sunday.

Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure - was just a bit shocked to see a nudging 900 figure today.

13 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I think we are already seeing it. I thought I saw on the briefing graph that vehicle use had increased yesterday and I expect that to continue today. I think some people have had enough and don't have the requisite self-control.

This will be an interesting one to watch, but tbh there is no increase yet. Week on week, yesterday stats showed an increase in vehicle use from 37% to 38% and a small increase in bus usage, but a decline in rail travel. Other forms remained static. The increases on the graphs were really because we had dropped considerably over the Easter weekend. 

We will start to see some increases in transport as we see some more businesses open, we are already seeing more restaurants open as they sort their processes out. 

But my personal perception is that things are as quiet as ever and the stats seem to back that up. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

4th - 704

11th - 917

18th - 888

Aye, it's just my memory playing tricks. I'd got it into my head that Saturdays were low.

Does show how normalised "someone dies in hospital from covid-19 every other minute" has become ...

Just now, gingerjon said:

Aye, it's just my memory playing tricks. I'd got it into my head that Saturdays were low.

Does show how normalised "someone dies in hospital from covid-19 every other minute" has become ...

I know Sky are doing this thing of pointing out that every number is a real person and affects their family and friends, but it is easy to disconnect from these numbers. 

I wonder whether some more candid coverage may be in order if the lockdown starts to become less adhered to. 

It may be a bit distasteful but I think worth it. It all feels quite removed from us locked away in our homes if you aren't directly affected. 

Archived