coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This will be an interesting one to watch, but tbh there is no increase yet. Week on week, yesterday stats showed an increase in vehicle use from 37% to 38% and a small increase in bus usage, but a decline in rail travel. Other forms remained static. The increases on the graphs were really because we had dropped considerably over the Easter weekend. 

We will start to see some increases in transport as we see some more businesses open, we are already seeing more restaurants open as they sort their processes out. 

But my personal perception is that things are as quiet as ever and the stats seem to back that up. 

Brother does accounts/consultancy in financial services and has several large insurers as clients - Motor clams down 43% and most of the current claims are for break in from / of vehicles not crashes so lower cost as well

Hows it supposed to get better when we have building site at end a road with dozen or more coming out the  little portacabin after snap time, 6 or 7 dustbin men crammed in a cab,3 or 4 folks in taxis,all going home after work or calling for shopping, Traffic on road today up here is getting to look normal.and thats just a walk to end a road 2 minutes to post some mail,And were out in sticks.:kolobok_punish:

13 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Brother does accounts/consultancy in financial services and has several large insurers as clients - Motor clams down 43% and most of the current claims are for break in from / of vehicles not crashes so lower cost as well

Let's hope our renewal policies will recognise that! Doubt it...

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

As is being shown by our Prime Minister. When did he first show symptoms? That’s a long time ill.

(And not making any snide point about him, he’s just a good example everyone knows about)

At least a month from first symptoms to resolution (of the good or the bad kind) is standard apparently, which means we are going to continue seeing high figures on all counts for some time as there are still legacy cases (as an excellent Cambridge virologist on the BBC this morning called them) from before the lockdown proceeding through our hospitals.

NHS England has announced 784 more deaths of people who tested positive for Covid-19, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 13,918.

Of the 784 new deaths announced on Saturday:
- 150 occurred on 17 April.
- 320 occurred on 16 April.
- 101 occurred on 15 April.

The figures also show 187 of the deaths took place between 1 and 14 April, and the remaining 26 deaths occurred in March, with the earliest new death taking place on 14 March.

5 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Interesting research to keep an eye on as the relaxing of lockdown remains a hot topic.

https://today.rtl.lu/news/science-and-environment/a/1498185.html?fbclid=IwAR2UBuorUbk49v38DRmnzoB4nzpca9PJYYFhbhdmWdFSJq5lpDz6NjfsSIs

I guess it helps in why it may be daft to produce an exit strategy now ... although I should say easing of restrictions plan... as saying exit strategy seems simplistic.

Although if any journalist or politician would like to publish theirs before seeing suggestions from government then fine... we can then boot that about rather than wait for official plans and try and look clever just booting that about.

My town of St Helens is in a bad way, covid wise (actually by any measure but that's another discussion).  105 deaths were recorded over the last 24 hours, up 13 on yesterday and given that on this occasion there was no breakdown of dates I am assuming that 13 people actually died of covid yesterday.  St Helens has the highest death rate on Merseyside and is one of the worst affected areas per capita in the whole of England.  There have also been a number of care home deaths in the borough.  It's all a tad worrying.

5 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

My town of St Helens is in a bad way, covid wise (actually by any measure but that's another discussion).  105 deaths were recorded over the last 24 hours, up 13 on yesterday and given that on this occasion there was no breakdown of dates I am assuming that 13 people actually died of covid yesterday.  St Helens has the highest death rate on Merseyside and is one of the worst affected areas per capita in the whole of England.  There have also been a number of care home deaths in the borough.  It's all a tad worrying.

The Midlands seemed to be the other area on the up according to the graphs yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

It would be nice to think that but I think we all know what will happen.

Having said that, the price of fuel has dropped significantly and this is being seen at the pump. Our heating oil is at its lowest price I can ever remember, at 21p per litre. At that rate, I could probably heat my house for a year for £500. 

33 minutes ago, silverback said:

Hows it supposed to get better when we have building site at end a road with dozen or more coming out the  little portacabin after snap time, 6 or 7 dustbin men crammed in a cab,3 or 4 folks in taxis,all going home after work or calling for shopping, Traffic on road today up here is getting to look normal.and thats just a walk to end a road 2 minutes to post some mail,And were out in sticks.:kolobok_punish:

The traffic here has consistently been more like a Sunday than lockdown.  I don't think everyone is taking this seriously enough.

16 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I guess it helps in why it may be daft to produce an exit strategy now ... although I should say easing of restrictions plan... as saying exit strategy seems simplistic.

Although if any journalist or politician would like to publish theirs before seeing suggestions from government then fine... we can then boot that about rather than wait for official plans and try and look clever just booting that about.

I don't think it's ridiculous to talk about what needs to happen at each stage of easing and to show what a graduated 'exit' would look like. Doesn't need a timeframe. Just needs to exist and show the thinking - and also what might happen to mean the restrictions need to tighten again.

To go any further responding would move us into political debate but I'll say just one thing: the government both chose to lead and make decisions and were elected to do so. It's not unreasonable to expect them to do it. It is their job. It's not the job of anyone else.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

38 minutes ago, silverback said:

wow we only get 3 bin men on each lorry now, 1 driving 1 doing recycling 1 doing bags of general waste

1 hour ago, Northern Eel said:

I think we are already seeing it. I thought I saw on the briefing graph that vehicle use had increased yesterday and I expect that to continue today. I think some people have had enough and don't have the requisite self-control.

It sounded like that increase was expected though because of Easter.  The increase was only back to the level it was before the Easter weekend.  While most of us probably didn't notice the Easter weekend, for others it will have still represented a long weekend off work when they weren't using their cars.

47 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

I expect a drop in premiums.

Signed

Gullible Coventry.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I don't think it's ridiculous to talk about what needs to happen at each stage of easing and to show what a graduated 'exit' would look like. Doesn't need a timeframe. Just needs to exist and show the thinking - and also what might happen to mean the restrictions need to tighten again.

To go any further responding would move us into political debate but I'll say just one thing: the government both chose to lead and make decisions and were elected to do so. It's not unreasonable to expect them to do it. It is their job. It's not the job of anyone else.

How can they do that though when they are still working out how the disease is affecting us all?  

26 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Exactly , the politician in response to an ' exit strategy ' question should just say , no , not yet , what do you recommend ?

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Aren't we meant to get a decrease on the weekend?!

Saturday’s figure is effectively Friday’s to 5pm, tidied up on Friday night and Saturday morning meaning you never know how it’ll come out. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yes it is , so supposed clever people should just let them get on with it without asking stupid questions 

Just so they can then use the answer in the future when circumstances have changed to then ask " but you said ? " 

4 minutes ago, Bearman said:

I expect a drop in premiums.

Signed

Gullible Coventry.

Seeing the first few petitions about that

In US couple of biggest insurers are allowing people to cancel without penalty or further costs if not using vehicles - harder here as compulsory 3rd party if parked "on road", the petition i saw was about pausing that law and the one requiring you to have continuous insurance on vehicles

3 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

How can they do that though when they are still working out how the disease is affecting us all?  

Then that would be a good place to start with answering it. But, again, this is moving into a political response.

Like I say, it's not unreasonable to expect to know what markers (infection level?, fatality level?, recovered level?, global knowledge of the condition?, specific knowledge of the condition in the UK?) they would be looking for; how much they might be led by what's happening in countries with some level of easing; whether they are considering some restrictions based on geography/vulnerability that might not apply to all ... 

... for starters.

Just throwing their hands up and going, "Well, what would you be doing?" That's not good enough. And it's especially not good enough when combined with the apparent ongoing failure to get on top of the practical things it should be more straightforward to get on top of, in spite of what we or don't know about the virus.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes it is , so supposed clever people should just let them get on with it without asking stupid questions 

Just so they can then use the answer in the future when circumstances have changed to then ask " but you said ? " 

We did that. The Prime Minister marched round a hospital filled with infected people shaking everyone's hands.

Archived