coronavirus

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Especially with the 14 day (ish) incubation, rather than a couple of days.  

How will Trump blame someone else for a second spike, well he will say I wanted to control coming off lockdown, but, the states insisted they wanted control of it. He has already played the not my fault card.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Padge said:

How will Trump blame someone else for a second spike, well he will say I wanted to control coming off lockdown, but, the states insisted they wanted control of it. He has already played the not my fault card.

At some point they will just stop releasing the figures or do a China and just make them up

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, SSoutherner said:

Or blame it on people not paying for decent insurance so it is their own fault

I believe many Americans’ insurance is tied in with their employment.

Seen the number of unemployed now?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

At some point they will just stop releasing the figures or do a China and just make them up

China doesn't just make them up, they have a committee meeting, pass the thoughts of the meeting to the 'government' and then get told what the figures are based on the figures they were given but adjusted for the 'truth'. It's a complicated process.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, Padge said:

China doesn't just make them up, they have a committee meeting, pass the thoughts of the meeting to the 'government' and then get told what the figures are based on the figures they were given but adjusted for the 'truth'. It's a complicated process.

Would you ever place any trust in any information coming out of china?

36 minutes ago, Padge said:

He will just re-write history and the sheep will let him away with it. He's already done it based on his actions so far. 

We are seeing it with a poster or two on here who have little interest in questioning anything happening as it is their 'team'. 

I genuinely find it scary when people have 'teams' in politics. Blind loyalty is for silly things like sport, not our lives. 

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

He will just re-write history and the sheep will let him away with it. He's already done it based on his actions so far. 

We are seeing it with a poster or two on here who have little interest in questioning anything happening as it is their 'team'. 

I genuinely find it scary when people have 'teams' in politics. Blind loyalty is for silly things like sport, not our lives. 

Absobloodylootly Dave

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Good post Dave. I like the comparison to sport too because its something that I have kept thinking over the last week. I find the blind worshipping of any political party, with a fervour in excess of any sports team, quite frankly bizarre and it is indeed scary. Even with sport most rational people can see the failings of their own team, and I know you and I have disagreed in the past *cough salary cap cough*, but at least we generally see each others point of view and find some common ground.

57 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If they caught Trump red handed his supporters would claim it’s stigmata.

Interesting news regarding plasma trials:

The UK is gearing up to use the blood of coronavirus survivors to treat people who are ill in hospital with the disease.

NHS Blood and Transplant has started approaching some people who have recovered from Covid-19 to donate their blood so they can begin a trial to assess the treatment.

The hope is that the antibodies they have built up will help to clear the virus in others.

Scientists have welcomed the plan - and University Hospital of Wales has already announced a trial.

But some researchers have warned the UK has moved too slowly compared with other countries.

In the US, a national plasma project - involving 1,500 hospitals - has already started. Scientists still need to assess how effective the therapy is.

But with no current treatments for Covid-19, the hope is it could help until a vaccine is found.

Come on. Please play nicely and do your political posting on the political threads. It’s a right ball ache moving them on my phone and I’m not logging into my computer today. 

It’s far easier to delete them. And I may just start doing that. 

There are people who want to keep up with this subject without the political stuff, or even the endless tribalism of the rugby threads. Just think of the innocents. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

PPE facts?

This one is from the old days of ancient lore of March. It’s a good analysis of the standards of facemask needed and their role. 

Four real standards (not including the big fancy full rebreather stuff you see on TV fiction in chem labs and so on, they do exist but not for 99.99% of people)

1. FFP3. The gold standard, meant for use in the most infectious environments where there’s a near guarantee of aerosol generating infection, such as A&E and ITU

2. FFP2. The silver standard, good for most things but has minor issues with protection and sealing  

3. IIR grade facemask. Fluid resistant but will not protect you if someone sneezes right in your face as it is not sealed unit. 

4. Surgical masks, non fluid resistant masks and DIY masks. Useful for civilian use but mainly effective for those who are symptomatic or don’t know they have it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, ckn said:

This one is from the old days of ancient lore of March. It’s a good analysis of the standards of facemask needed and their role. 

Four real standards (not including the big fancy full rebreather stuff you see on TV fiction in chem labs and so on, they do exist but not for 99.99% of people)

1. FFP3. The gold standard, meant for use in the most infectious environments where there’s a near guarantee of aerosol generating infection, such as A&E and ITU

2. FFP2. The silver standard, good for most things but has minor issues with protection and sealing  

3. IIR grade facemask. Fluid resistant but will not protect you if someone sneezes right in your face as it is not sealed unit. 

4. Surgical masks, non fluid resistant masks and DIY masks. Useful for civilian use but mainly effective for those who are symptomatic or don’t know they have it.

Facemasks - assume a very low 'surgical' rating - for the public then would seem to be effective as long as (1) you don't touch the outside of it too often (or at all) and have one you can wash and (2) it's done whilst social distancing is maintained so the chances of someone sneezing full on over you are reduced?

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Facemasks - assume a very low 'surgical' rating - for the public then would seem to be effective as long as (1) you don't touch the outside of it too often (or at all) and have one you can wash and (2) it's done whilst social distancing is maintained so the chances of someone sneezing full on over you are reduced?

There's a good science based (I know...) lay summary review on the use of facemasks for the public:

But, yes, you're right.

7 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Latest on the Turkish PPE (hope you're not holding your breath) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52351029

It all depends on where it’s coming from. If it’s the Turkish government then it should have a high likelihood of arriving. If from a private provider there then there’s all manner of risk and the government should never have led with “you will get it” on Saturday. 

Remember last week where the Germans accused the US of modern piracy with the US confiscating US company made stuff in Thailand that had been bought by Germany. 

It really is all countries for themselves. 

Archived