coronavirus

Sometimes it seems like a competition between the different news broadcasters on how they view things.  Over the weekend there was a news report on one of the main news channels about how hard the lock down is effecting dairy farmers, with an interview with a very upset lady farmer who runs a dairy farm, and showing video of her pouring milk down the drains as she can't sell it as demand for milk had dropped to it's lowest levels ever.  Next day, the other channel does a piece on milkmen and dairy farmers under lock down where the milkman says his turnover on doorstep deliveries has increased by a lot and he can't get enough milk, and the dairy farmer says he could do with doubling his heard as he is working flat out and can't keep up with demand for milk.  Two rival channels, two different reports.  Maybe it differs in different parts of the country?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A very interesting article from our Parliament's Office of Science and Technology on the virus, how it infects, treatments under investigation and their status. It's good enough that if that contradicts anything else you see then that should trump it.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

12 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Sometimes it seems like a competition between the different news broadcasters on how they view things.  Over the weekend there was a news report on one of the main news channels about how hard the lock down is effecting dairy farmers, with an interview with a very upset lady farmer who runs a dairy farm, and showing video of her pouring milk down the drains as she can't sell it as demand for milk had dropped to it's lowest levels ever.  Next day, the other channel does a piece on milkmen and dairy farmers under lock down where the milkman says his turnover on doorstep deliveries has increased by a lot and he can't get enough milk, and the dairy farmer says he could do with doubling his heard as he is working flat out and can't keep up with demand for milk.  Two rival channels, two different reports.  Maybe it differs in different parts of the country?

Weird isn't it?

On this example though we are working through milk for fun! All that extra coffee, porridge, cereal etc. now we are all at home every day.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Weird isn't it?

On this example though we are working through milk for fun! All that extra coffee, porridge, cereal etc. now we are all at home every day.

Yup. Same here. Gone from basically 2 pints a week to “we demand all of the milk in your shop and we will return tomorrow for more”.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I mentioned before about the huge risk of spreading the virus here in Indonesia by people travelling to their home town/village for Eid at the end of Ramadan next month ('mudik') and how it would be politically difficult to prevent. 

Well, as a first step, we all just received a text from the government politely asking people not to do it to protect their parents and family members.

"Terimakasih Anda tidak mudik tahun ini. Terimakasih Anda melindungi orang tua dan sanak famili di kampung dari kesengsaraan wabah virus corona. Covid19.go.id"

This campaign really needs to work. Failure could be devastating, in particular for Java. 

44 minutes ago, Jasper said:

Wonder if it's that 'local' demand has increased while 'commercial' demand has dropped massively?

Electricity use is another example.  Home use is up 30% yet the national grid is asking power stations to turn off as the demand has dropped so much.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

I mentioned before about the huge risk of spreading the virus here in Indonesia by people travelling to their home town/village for Eid at the end of Ramadan next month ('mudik') and how it would be politically difficult to prevent. 

Well, as a first step, we all just received a text from the government politely asking people not to do it to protect their parents and family members.

"Terimakasih Anda tidak mudik tahun ini. Terimakasih Anda melindungi orang tua dan sanak famili di kampung dari kesengsaraan wabah virus corona. Covid19.go.id"

This campaign really needs to work. Failure could be devastating, in particular for Java. 

I suppose it depends what the reaction is.from the mosques.  If they back the lockdown then people will stay away.

However we are seeing in Pakistan mosques staying open, with leaders saying now is the time they are needed most and that praying will help protect you.  And the exact same excuses used by churches in the USA to stay open.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Germany reopens bookshops & car dealerships. It says everything about German mentality. Car Dealerships? Really essential.

Perhaps more of an indication of how much car manufacturing is worth for the wider German economy rather than individuals? Bit of a difficult balance I guess. I cant imagine they'll be too busy though.

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Germany reopens bookshops & car dealerships. It says everything about German mentality. Car Dealerships? Really essential.

Car dealers don't just sell cars, they repair them. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I love a pint of beer but only down the pub.

Not had any alcoholic drink since St Patricks Day.

:kolobok_negative:

On this I feel your pain. I've been getting a couple of bottles from the local shop over the weekend, but it seems a bit pointless to be drinking beer at home. On the other hand, I am drinking less beer, which is probably not a bad thing.

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I suppose it depends what the reaction is.from the mosques.  If they back the lockdown then people will stay away.

However we are seeing in Pakistan mosques staying open, with leaders saying now is the time they are needed most and that praying will help protect you.  And the exact same excuses used by churches in the USA to stay open.  

I think I mentioned on another thread that in Dewsbury, the (Pakistani) Mosques highlighted a recent fatwa that stated attending prayers will not disadvantage anyone from progress to or within the afterlife. 

In Turkey the interpretation of Islam is usually more secular so people are following Government advice to stay away. 

The belief that mass praying would help was also adopted initially in Orthodox Israeli cities but of course they have been most affected and at one time were sealed off. 

7 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think I mentioned on another thread that in Dewsbury, the (Pakistani) Mosques highlighted a recent fatwa that stated attending prayers will not disadvantage anyone from progress to or within the afterlife. 

In Turkey the interpretation of Islam is usually more secular so people are following Government advice to stay away. 

The belief that mass praying would help was also adopted initially in Orthodox Israeli cities but of course they have been most affected and at one time were sealed off. 

Oh definitely, in most parts of the world the various religions have been very sensible and followed government advice to stay at home.  I think there is a variation of the 'call to pray' which basically says pray at home.  

However, there are one or two who seem to feel that praying in a mosque or church will protect them better, the notable examples are the American evangelicals and big mosques in Pakistan (probably a few other places too).  They both appear to use the same reasoning and rational, god will protect us, praying will make you safer, etc.  

3 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I love a pint of beer but only down the pub.

Not had any alcoholic drink since St Patricks Day.

:kolobok_negative:

Our local is doing takeouts of beer and food. The food is fine, the beer in the pub is great. Trudging across the village to the pub with my 4 pint milk carton is still a mildly amusing pastime, but the beer is dreadful when drunk at home, flat as a fart and without your mates there to talk rubbish to. 

We are engaging in weekly takeout of both to give the landlord a community hand, rather than actually needing to. Whilst in lockdown, I'd take a pot of tea before a swig of beer currently.

1 hour ago, Moove said:

Perhaps more of an indication of how much car manufacturing is worth for the wider German economy rather than individuals? Bit of a difficult balance I guess. I cant imagine they'll be too busy though.

Putting the economy first? Off with their heads. ?

Quite remarkably, I seem to have managed to pick up an adenovirus. I will be treating it as something worse. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 hours ago, Jasper said:

Wonder if it depends on who they usually sell through as well. A lot of farmers have agreements with particular processors/dairies. Depending on whether the one you are contracted to usually sells retail or to commercial may be what affects demand for your milk

22 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Wonder if it depends on who they usually sell through as well. A lot of farmers have agreements with particular processors/dairies. Depending on whether the one you are contracted to usually sells retail or to commercial may be what affects demand for your milk

I have a client who is a milk farmer. Her farm has treated some of the herd to cut off their current lactation cycle. Some cheese works have closed down, so they can't send any surplus there.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

23 hours ago, Padge said:

China doesn't just make them up, they have a committee meeting, pass the thoughts of the meeting to the 'government' and then get told what the figures are based on the figures they were given but adjusted for the 'truth'. It's a complicated process.

Reminds me of my 25 years in the NHS.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Things are getting bad here. I've given BBC Sounds such a bashing thst I'm reduced to listening to a BBC Local Radio programme "Yorkshire Brass". Yorkshire!  It's not as if they are any good at it!

Is that the local radio version of "Money Matters"?

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

what was that American film called when the towns mayor was so concerned about the local economy he told everyone "its safe to go back in the water"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Archived