coronavirus

Quite a statement from the ROI at this stage:

Major public gatherings of more than 5,000 people have been banned in the Republic of Ireland until at least September due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

It means no major sporting fixtures or concerts will take place in the country this summer; large gatherings have been restricted since 24 March.

The government said local authorities had been advised not to consider licences for any such major events.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52372997

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, JohnM said:

Our media have a role to play here. With their interminable misrepresentation of the  situation, they are actively discouraging people from doing as you recommend.

The last place any of us want to be at present is in or even near a hospital with no PPE and thousands and thousands of sweating, coughing and unprotected  Corvid 19 victims with one nurse and one doctor on duty.

Classic example of this this morning on the BBC.

Some total dunderhead of a BBC reporter spouts how all these extra non-Covid deaths are probably people too frightened to go to hospital because they're more likely to catch Covid there instead.  He didn't say that this is what thought might happen; he said people would be more likely to catch Covid in hospital.  He stated it as if it were a fact.  So very irresponsible but so very British media during this pandemic.  

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

3 scaffolders in the front of a truck - from a mix of 7 in a firm - any could be working with the other any given day depending on the job - all from different houses , mainly stripping and bringing back to yard, all handling the same tubes fittings and using the same portaloo on site  - essential? NO!  stupid? YES- but allowed to happen due to cant work from home rule, they may as well go for a pint in the pub together at tea time to round things off- madness - I repeat the lockdown is a shambles that should have been stricter from the off set 

Some construction has stopped.  And if they can't work in line with social distancing rules then they should stop too.  I think the government was concerned about flood hit areas being unable to have repairs done to their homes and businesses - they certainly referenced that at the time of lockdown - and that is why construction could continue.

19 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Covid now in over 2000 care homes out of a total of 17,000 care homes. 

Hopefully the 17,000 care homes that don't have it, won't get it.  The expansion of testing to staff (at the drive throughs and via the new home testing programme) should be able to spot staff who are covid positive, as I imagine it will be the staff now who bring it in given that visitors haven't been allowed in care homes for at least four weeks.

I’m getting quite worried about the number of American deaths. While they already have the highest of all countries (understandable given their population) they’ve been mainly in the North East and many states are still only in their early stages probably the equivalent to where we were a month ago yet they seem convinced that they’re near the end of lockdown. If most Americans can’t continue with sensible social distancing I can’t see anything that would stop the big states Texas, Florida, Etc following the path of European countries.

9 minutes ago, fevtom said:

I’m getting quite worried about the number of American deaths. While they already have the highest of all countries (understandable given their population) they’ve been mainly in the North East and many states are still only in their early stages probably the equivalent to where we were a month ago yet they seem convinced that they’re near the end of lockdown. If most Americans can’t continue with sensible social distancing I can’t see anything that would stop the big states Texas, Florida, Etc following the path of European countries.

It could be that some states won't suffer much, a bit like there are areas in the UK that haven't suffered much.  However, I think your post highlights what the government said before the lockdown that it's all about timing.  The UK government wanted to use lockdown at a time of maximum impact without imprisoning the population for too long and maybe they have pulled it off (we won't know until afterwards).  So in the context of your post I would worry that some states locked down too soon and now the natives are getting restless (not least, no doubt, because they can't yet see the impact of Covid in their particular state).  I suppose only time will tell.  If any restless state ends up getting hit in the way New York did then I'm sure they will lock down again very quickly.  However, lots of the USA is of course big empty space and so the chances are that some states will get away without major outbreaks.  I hope so for their sakes.

37 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

It could be that some states won't suffer much, a bit like there are areas in the UK that haven't suffered much.  However, I think your post highlights what the government said before the lockdown that it's all about timing.  The UK government wanted to use lockdown at a time of maximum impact without imprisoning the population for too long and maybe they have pulled it off (we won't know until afterwards).  So in the context of your post I would worry that some states locked down too soon and now the natives are getting restless (not least, no doubt, because they can't yet see the impact of Covid in their particular state).  I suppose only time will tell.  If any restless state ends up getting hit in the way New York did then I'm sure they will lock down again very quickly.  However, lots of the USA is of course big empty space and so the chances are that some states will get away without major outbreaks.  I hope so for their sakes.

I think your right. Most of Europe is much more densely populated and there are hundreds of tourist hotspots so it was always going to hit quicker. Even in the UK where London appears to have peaked first there probably won’t be too much difference between the regions but in America it’s possible that the peaks in New York and Alaska could be months apart or even Alaska might not be hit bad at all. All that extra time should really be a massive advantage but like you say, if you lockdown too soon in every state it could backfire.

Alaska was probably a bad example but I was just thinking as far away from New York as possible.

5 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Anyone know where the money tree had been hidden for all of the past years when tonights press conference had Hancock explaining how many billions were being given out?

Much of it,of course,going overseas to pay for PPE.

The aftermath of this,and the clawing back of the money,by the government,is going to be a frightening experience.

Denmark have taken the admirable step of denying state aid to companies who use tax havens to cheat their obligations. 

I do hope Somerset Capital Management's attempts to take advantage of the current levels of state aid are calculated by their UK tax returns.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, fevtom said:

I think your right. Most of Europe is much more densely populated and there are hundreds of tourist hotspots so it was always going to hit quicker. Even in the UK where London appears to have peaked first there probably won’t be too much difference between the regions but in America it’s possible that the peaks in New York and Alaska could be months apart or even Alaska might not be hit bad at all. All that extra time should really be a massive advantage but like you say, if you lockdown too soon in every state it could backfire.

Alaska was probably a bad example but I was just thinking as far away from New York as possible.

I know people in the field who expect the USA to be affected badly, albeit later.  They would pretty much agree with all of this post. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Just watched an interview with Kenny Dwan, a 71 year old two time Olympic rower who recovered from Coronavirus after being in hospital for 3 weeks. It was truly inspiration listening to his story. His description of being in a Covid ward, and listening to people pleading to die, was frankly terrifying and should be all anyone needs to hear if they are thinking of not staying at home.

14 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Anyone know where the money tree had been hidden for all of the past years when tonights press conference had Hancock explaining how many billions were being given out?

Much of it,of course,going overseas to pay for PPE.

The aftermath of this,and the clawing back of the money,by the government,is going to be a frightening experience.

That belongs on the political tripe sub forum.

14 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Fantastic idea:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/21/milan-seeks-to-prevent-post-crisis-return-of-traffic-pollution

This concept in some of our cities would be massively beneficial and revolutionise city life.

I don't want to take it political but some of the devolved northern mayors have also been making the same noises.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, M j M said:

why the need to estimate...

The ONS  figures will show what the actual numbers are... every 2 weeks looking back...

we all know the hospital deaths are just that, that is does not cover every death. It is repeatedly said at every press conference..., I don't think I've listened to a press conference in which it isn't clearly stated...

14 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Fantastic idea:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/21/milan-seeks-to-prevent-post-crisis-return-of-traffic-pollution

This concept in some of our cities would be massively beneficial and revolutionise city life.

For all the awfulness of the current situation now is a golden opportunity to make real changes to the direction in which the planet was going and to reduce pollution in our towns and cities. Everyone has seen the unforeseen benefits of the lockdown to our environment and to nature and it would be very sad to just go back to the way we were.

The traffic is noticeably much busier today.....

The numbers of folks at stannies in the queue for a sarny is 'normal'!

The chippy has re-opened and there's folks waiting for their click n collect.

Tesco extra is now back to operating at normal levels so I'm told by a member of staff.

Lockdown my botty

My own (admittedly limited) experience is that there is considerably more traffic about this week than there has been - queues forming at junctions and roadworks where there haven't been any for a couple of weeks and noticeably more cars on the M62. I assume the stats shown in the updates are based on daily traffic counting on a number of (the same) roads. 

17 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

The traffic is noticeably much busier today.....

The numbers of folks at stannies in the queue for a sarny is 'normal'!

The chippy has re-opened and there's folks waiting for their click n collect.

Tesco extra is now back to operating at normal levels so I'm told by a member of staff.

Lockdown my botty

I’d be really interested in some stats. Hastings - at least my bit - still seems quiet.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's getting busier where I live. Boy racers are out in abundance.

Actually, yes, this is a difference. The number of revved up Fiestas burning up and down the hill, especially after, say, 5pm has gone from 'none' in normal times to 'quite a few'.

Just based on my brief excursions to the shops, the road outside does look a bit busier than the last couple of weeks. But I don't go out at the same time of day every time, so it is hard to get an overall impression.

Still way down on normal traffic levels. 

Talking of shops, I went to the nearest supermarket at about 10:30am today. No queue outside and only one person ahead of me at the first till I came to. An ATM withdrawal and two bags of shopping was done in about 10 minutes, with everything on my list in stock. Mid-morning seems like a good time to go.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

34 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Just based on my brief excursions to the shops, the road outside does look a bit busier than the last couple of weeks. But I don't go out at the same time of day every time, so it is hard to get an overall impression.

Still way down on normal traffic levels. 

This is the point that people are missing.  We are not in a total lockdown. People are allowed out to go shopping, work, health appts etc. so why are people surprised when they go out and people are there? It's a weird thing to be surprised about.

But, is the Trafford Centre full of people? Or McDonalds? Are the pubs full of people bobbing in for a pint? Are the gyms full, gym classes booked up? Are tens of thousands of people going to sporting events, festivals, gigs, or are there hundreds in cinemas or at the theatre? Are miserable husbands being dragged round Ikea on a Sunday AM? Are miserable Dads being dragged to soft play by their 3 year old daughter in the middle of Leith? Are trains, buses etc packed? Is the High Street bustling? 

The answer to all the above questions is No. That is what the lockdown has done.

The actual evidence has shown that lockdown has reduced presence in all of the above, apart from parks and residential areas.

Archived