coronavirus

2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

So a chippy and diy shop are essential?

DIY shops need to supply hardware for repairs, as simple as a tap washer to a toilet cistern are an electrical distribution board. B&Q are only open for click and collect and you cannot wander around the store.

People do not sit in a chippy, they go, they collect, they walk away. Food is essential. As long as the staff can social distance there is not a problem. Places like McDonalds cannot socially isolate staff enough because of the small footprint of many of their kitchens, KFC have apparently worked out how do it for many of their shops and are reopening those. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Seems that way on social distancing. Masks and queues, and a slower pace of life perhaps.

I’m OK with that. What I’m not OK with is my family being subject to indefinite lockdown to protect the weak. 

It is a bit snowflakey.

Many of your family count as weak, I am sure. It is annoying not to be able to go to pubs or restaurants, particularly if you work for or own a pub or restaurant. Otherwise, it is annoying.

Society is built around making the most out of average people, who are typically unfit and not significantly individually intelligent.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

20 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

But was the first academic to call the peak as 8th April 2020 which is now conventional wisdom. So clearly getting something right. Though I take your point in that there are lies, damn lies and statistics in that countries are not recording coronavirus deaths in the a uniform manne,r one example being the UK apparently having no-one who is being recorded as having recovered from the virus

It will not be until 18-24 months post outbreak with sober analysis that we will be able to determine who got this right and who got this wrong.

Like I said English hospital numbers only and even then looking at his more detailed analysis, the peak was around the 8th for London and the SE with other regions afterwards (NE and Yorks possibly not even there yet). 

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not really. It would be snowflakey to want to keep taking government hand-outs and stay at home while the economy goes down the sh*tter. 

Or getting dramatic.

Well, it is always what other people do ?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I saw my daughter today for the first time in 3 weeks,  feels like 3 years.

On the upside, it does make you value it more than a routine thing.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

42 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I think many people are a bit deluded about how healthy they are.

If you can do thirty push ups, a 10K in less than thirty minutes and squat on your flat feet, you probably do have a basic level of fitness. But, it is amazing how many people do not come close and consider themselves fit.

Asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, being overweight, I would suggest most people on this board would fit into at least one of these.

I’d second this. Two thirds of UK adults are over weight. Anyone who thinks they maybe have room to lose a couple of pounds probably don’t realise they more than likely are considered obese and hypertensive from a clinical point of view and would be considered to have multiple underlying health conditions.

When people hear about those dying with underlying health conditions on the news they assume it’s all advanced cancer or COPD.

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

So we just sit in our caves until it’s all gone away do we?

I'm teetering close to the political thread, but there are some inside and outside government (all parties to keep it neutral) who will agree with your sentiments, but not necessary your 'only the weak' argument. They will be looking at the economy and costs to the country.

It will be a very tough decision for any politician, to ease restrictions knowing more people will die in doing so.  However, once you commit to a lockdown, its rather like CPR, you have to stick to it to its safe to stop, stopping cause you are a bit tired is no longer an option.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On a slightly different tack, I enjoyed listening to the Chief of Staff at the press conference today.  He gave such a stirring speech, in which he told us a lot about what the forces have been up to in their support of the national effort, that when he had finished I really wanted to stand to attention (I never can remember which hand I'm supposed to use to salute though).

I felt right proud of our forces folk today.  They've gone about their business with their amazing skills and nobody claps for them on a Thursday night and yet without them I think most of what has happened which is good would not have happened, at least not as quickly.

5 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I never can remember which hand I'm supposed to use to salute though

The right hand.

*unless it's the navy, then anything goes.

**Thats a joke, its still the right.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Confirmation that cats can get covid. From the BBC

It's long been a worry for pet owners, but now it's been confirmed: domestic cats can contract the coronavirus and show symptoms.

Two pet cats in New York state in the US tested positive for the virus after developing "mild respiratory illnesses", the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said in a joint statement. The two cats weren't part of the same family.

None of the people who lived with the first cat were confirmed to be ill with the coronavirus, so it's thought the cat either caught it from an asymptomatic household member or from someone outside their home.

The owner of the second cat had tested positive for the coronavirus before their cat was tested.

In the statement, the CDC and USDA urged people not to abandon their pets, because "there is no evidence that pets play a role in spreading the virus in the US". Instead, they recommend keeping cats indoors where possible.

These aren't the first animals in the US to contract the virus. Earlier this month Nadia, a tiger at Bronx Zoo, tested positive.

A pet cat in Hong Kong tested positive for the virus in late March but showed no symptoms.

2 hours ago, Padge said:

DIY shops need to supply hardware for repairs, as simple as a tap washer to a toilet cistern are an electrical distribution board. B&Q are only open for click and collect and you cannot wander around the store.

People do not sit in a chippy, they go, they collect, they walk away. Food is essential. As long as the staff can social distance there is not a problem. Places like McDonalds cannot socially isolate staff enough because of the small footprint of many of their kitchens, KFC have apparently worked out how do it for many of their shops and are reopening those. 

Chippy food is not essential.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

48 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I'm teetering close to the political thread, but there are some inside and outside government (all parties to keep it neutral) who will agree with your sentiments, but not necessary your 'only the weak' argument. They will be looking at the economy and costs to the country.

Quite. Restricting the economically active to protect the inactive is not a good place to be as a species.

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Quite. Restricting the economically active to protect the inactive is not a good place to be as a species.

Although some would say that protecting the weak, sick, inactive, disabled, children, pensioners, etc, is one of the fundamentals of humanity.  

21 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Although some would say that protecting the weak, sick, inactive, disabled, children, pensioners, etc, is one of the fundamentals of humanity.  

Of course. But ultimately they can only be protected if the rest of society is not enfeebled.

3 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

In such few numbers as to be inconsequential. It’s an oldies thing. Sad but true. 

Not true, look at table 10 of p24 of this for the age groupings, weight groupings and illness groupings of people who died once in intensive care with this.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

The younger people tend to have a pre-existing condition. Not all but a lot. Also a lot of elderly people die in care homes or at home. 

The table I saw today the deaths progressively decreased the younger people were. 

8 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Chippy food is not essential.

And the disease is not civilization threatening, so everything is a balance. Chippies are serving food quickly, which is important. They can be run while minimizing contact and the customers are typically sober. 

7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Of course. But ultimately they can only be protected if the rest of society is not enfeebled.

You have a point, in that it is a balance. Clearly, your reference to living in a cave is slightly hysterical, but does reflect that people like you find it a major strain. 

But, you are not an expert as far as we know. It is a balance, and just as we are not treating it as a 1919 pandemic, ignoring it also seems extreme. 

11 hours ago, Bob8 said:

I think many people are a bit deluded about how healthy they are.

If you can do thirty push ups, a 10K in less than thirty minutes and squat on your flat feet, you probably do have a basic level of fitness. But, it is amazing how many people do not come close and consider themselves fit.

Asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, being overweight, I would suggest most people on this board would fit into at least one of these.

As much as I agree with your point, a 10K in less than 30mins?! The world record is 26 mins 17 seconds!

And British female record is Paula Radcliffe with 30.01.

Archived