coronavirus

22 minutes ago, ckn said:

Have you seen the doughnutgate thing then?

He's been the subject of sustained kicking from clinicians all over Twitter since yesterday

Malhotra's been peddling bad science for years. It seems he's branched out into fake outrage. Versatile chap.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Derwent said:

The link won't open on my works computer so apologies if this is covered in the article but I would've thought it's more likely that smokers are at higher risk of the virus causing major problems (due to their damaged lungs) and therefor are more likely to be hospitalised and be tested rather than being less likely to catch the virus, as the title suggests.

6 hours ago, ckn said:

This is the gold-standard lay analysis of the science around masks. Trisha is a serious expert in this subject and leads teams of researchers that report into the top levels of the NHS. Masks = good, although it should be face-coverings rather than face-masks for non-care workers.

Is that this science or that science? Reads like we should be following WHO unless we shouldn't. 

Masks for all? The science says yes.

World Health Organization: Face masks cannot stop healthy people getting Covid-19, says WHO

4 minutes ago, fevtom said:

The link won't open on my works computer so apologies if this is covered in the article but I would've thought it's more likely that smokers are at higher risk of the virus causing major problems (due to their damaged lungs) and therefor are more likely to be hospitalised and be tested rather than being less likely to catch the virus, as the title suggests.

Some research in France has suggested otherwise and they are going to do some trials with nicotine patches. The theory so far is that nicotine actually prevents the spread of the virus once it’s in your body as it stops the immune system going into overdrive.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Wow, there's all sorts of weird science coming out of this pandemic.

629 new hospital deaths today according to early reports. Usual caveat that day to day deaths aren't a reliable measure but it does follow the general trend of a slow decline in the number of hospital fatalities over the last week or two

10 minutes ago, Derwent said:

Some research in France has suggested otherwise and they are going to do some trials with nicotine patches. The theory so far is that nicotine actually prevents the spread of the virus once it’s in your body as it stops the immune system going into overdrive.

20 players navy cut then....

Another sad tale 

Twins killed by pandemics 100 years apart

A 100-year-old man in the US has died of Covid-19 - more than a century after losing his twin brother to the 1918 flu pandemic, his grandson told CNN.

Philip and Samuel Kahn were born on5 December 1919. Samuel died of the flu just weeks later. The Spanish Flu is thought to have killed between 50-100 million people worldwide, and about 675,000 in the US.

Philip, a World War Two veteran, feared another pandemic would happen in his lifetime, his grandson Warren Zysman told CNN.

"I would have conversations with him and he would say to me, 'I told you history repeats itself, 100 years is not that long of a period of time.'ead more

It feels like a trickle of companies opening back up could become a flood:

DIY chain B&Q has confirmed it has now reopened 155 of its UK stores as lockdown measures remain in place.

After a trial at 14 stores at the weekend, 61 outlets reopened on Wednesday and another 80 on Thursday.

B&Q has introduced "social distancing controls", such as capping the number of customers in-store.

On Thursday, other firms including Jaguar Land Rover, Aston Martin and Taylor Wimpey said they would return to work in May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52393074

20 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its funny you should say that because I cant stand him either. Indeed I have never met anyone that does find him funny!

It's less a dislike for Lenny Henry, who I actually really liked his work when I was a teenager, but the impending overload of the forthcoming clamour of a gaggle of funny people (I use the term lightly in some instances) trying to one-up each other in order to furnish the national love-in upon themselves more than anyone else. 

I'm not in the mood for that tonight. 

7 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

It's less a dislike for Lenny Henry, who I actually really liked his work when I was a teenager, but the impending overload of the forthcoming clamour of a gaggle of funny people (I use the term lightly in some instances) trying to one-up each other in order to furnish the national love-in upon themselves more than anyone else. 

I'm not in the mood for that tonight. 

It has been a long time since I left the UK. I remember in the 80's being excited if Lenny Henry was on, to the 90's when he was OK, to the start of the 00's when he was no longer that funny to me.

I shall take it the trend has continued.

Fair enough, it is a tough career to last in.

I imagine Ian Rush is not the footballer he was, but he is still better than me.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

11 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It has been a long time since I left the UK. I remember in the 80's being excited if Lenny Henry was on, to the 90's when he was OK, to the start of the 00's when he was no longer that funny to me.

I imagine Ian Rush is not the footballer he was, but he is still better than me.

Lenny Henry is a lot, lot better as a serious actor these days. He’s done some excellent stuff in theatre and on the radio.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

What do you reckon Bob ? 

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Lenny Henry is a lot, lot better as a serious actor these days. He’s done some excellent stuff in theatre and on the radio.

His serious acting has been a huge success recently. But still, I remember him on TISWAS.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

His serious acting has been a huge success recently. But still, I remember him on TISWAS.

Yes. I think that’s why he doesn’t do it on the TV so much.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Can anyone explain for me, how the self employed income support scheme will work, as I understand it is, going from ya last 3 years earnings minus tax, then that figure will be divided by 3 then into 12 and we'll be paid 80%of that figure??? If this is incorrect please correct me guys. Cheers!! 

42 minutes ago, Damien said:

It feels like a trickle of companies opening back up could become a flood:

DIY chain B&Q has confirmed it has now reopened 155 of its UK stores as lockdown measures remain in place.

After a trial at 14 stores at the weekend, 61 outlets reopened on Wednesday and another 80 on Thursday.

B&Q has introduced "social distancing controls", such as capping the number of customers in-store.

On Thursday, other firms including Jaguar Land Rover, Aston Martin and Taylor Wimpey said they would return to work in May.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52393074

Provided they stick to social distancing there was no need to stop   

4 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Can anyone explain for me, how the self employed income support scheme will work, as I understand it is, going from ya last 3 years earnings minus tax, then that figure will be divided by 3 then into 12 and we'll be paid 80%of that figure??? If this is incorrect please correct me guys. Cheers!! 

That’s how I understand it I’ve seen it mentioned that they hope to start contacting people by June. 

12 minutes ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

What do you reckon Bob ? 

I would have saved that.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Archived