coronavirus

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Provided they stick to social distancing there was no need to stop   

Quite correct , food retailers had to stay open and organise themselves ' on the hoof ' do to speak , other businesses have now had time and are confident they can return 

However it is the ' necessary ' nature of the purchase that is the issue , to me anything that ' works ' with regards social distancing can look to open , it is social distancing that is the issue , be interesting to see Westminster bridge tonight ?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Quite correct , food retailers had to stay open and organise themselves ' on the hoof ' do to speak , other businesses have now had time and are confident they can return 

However it is the ' necessary ' nature of the purchase that is the issue , to me anything that ' works ' with regards social distancing can look to open , it is social distancing that is the issue , be interesting to see Westminster bridge tonight ?

Yes, I really hope the broadcasters refuse to cover these 'event' style gatherings. They should be told to be responsible and show people on their doorsteps and balconies etc. 

20 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Chippy food is not essential.

Ask that of someone in  some of the temporary accommodation we stick them in with very little or no cooking facilities.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Hullfan said:

Can anyone explain for me, how the self employed income support scheme will work, as I understand it is, going from ya last 3 years earnings minus tax, then that figure will be divided by 3 then into 12 and we'll be paid 80%of that figure??? If this is incorrect please correct me guys. Cheers!! 

Correct but subject to the cap so maximum payment is £2,500 per month.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Yes, I really hope the broadcasters refuse to cover these 'event' style gatherings. They should be told to be responsible and show people on their doorsteps and balconies etc. 

Looks like Sky did this tonight. Far better coverage. Showing people on balconies and gardens only. 

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

Provided they stick to social distancing there was no need to stop   

I think they stopped because they could keep going with click and collect whilst they worked out good systems to do social distancing in store.

Supermarkets have struggled because they have had no down time and have been continually adapting on the fly.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Intersting plot of the numbers, highlights the lags in reporting.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

32 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Intersting plot of the numbers, highlights the lags in reporting.

There have been quite a few graphs published recently to show that the deaths in hospitals peak was around 8th April, often accompanied with a call to now ease the restrictions. Problem for the Government is that when first announced they were saying that they would remain in place until we were over the peak when what they really meant was until we're over it and well down the other side with the number of infections low enough to be confident that they're not going to start rising uncontrollably again. Unfortunately, for some reason they didn't want to come clean with what a long haul it was going to be.

16 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

There have been quite a few graphs published recently to show that the deaths in hospitals peak was around 8th April, often accompanied with a call to now ease the restrictions. Problem for the Government is that when first announced they were saying that they would remain in place until we were over the peak when what they really meant was until we're over it and well down the other side with the number of infections low enough to be confident that they're not going to start rising uncontrollably again. Unfortunately, for some reason they didn't want to come clean with what a long haul it was going to be.

They have never once suggested it would be anything other than a 'long haul' (and if you want a really long haul just look at Italy - still in lock down in Lombardy where it hit big time a few weeks before we were hit and a far, far stricter lockdown too).

12 hours ago, gingerjon said:

"If you do go out, always stay 2m apart from anyone who is not from your household"

You change the message to make the part you want to be clear, clear.

Ironic.  I'm sure you were one of the ones calling for the government to just tell everywhere to shut down because the message just before lockdown wasn't straightforward enough.

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

you wont be smiling for long, lenny henry is on his way tonight 

I watched the first two hours of the Big Night In, until Peter Kay was on because I wanted to watch all the members of the public being daft while joining in On the Way to Amerillo (or whatever it's called!) and actually Lenny Henry was funny.  For the first time in my life, Lenny Henry made me properly laugh.  He managed some comic timing for a change and actually said funny stuff.

I have to say that when the Beeb does something well, they seriously do it well, and from what I saw of the Big Night In they did it seriously well.  There was some very funny stuff on and some very moving stuff.  The luvvies were naff (and it didn't help that I felt old as a result of not knowing who any of them were!), although I loved the adapted baked potato song being accompanied by the BBC orchestra. ? 

9 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Ironic.  I'm sure you were one of the ones calling for the government to just tell everywhere to shut down because the message just before lockdown wasn't straightforward enough.

I said the government message was unclear. Which it is. Hence why some people believe that only essential businesses are open.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Trump has suggested that they should look into injecting people with disinfectant. This is really exciting stuff. I can only imagine if the President of the United States has said it, there must be some solid science behind it*.

*To cover myself legally I should probably point out it's not a good idea.

European Athletics Championship, scheduled for the last week in August in Paris, have been cancelled.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

From the BBC live feed:

Hopes of getting an antiviral drug to treat Covid-19 took a knock after remdesivir reportedly failed in its first randomised clinical trial.

A Chinese trial showed the drug had not been successful, according to draft documents accidentally published by the World Health Organization.

However, the US firm behind the drug, Gilead Sciences, said the documents had mischaracterised the study.

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

From the BBC live feed:

Hopes of getting an antiviral drug to treat Covid-19 took a knock after remdesivir reportedly failed in its first randomised clinical trial.

A Chinese trial showed the drug had not been successful, according to draft documents accidentally published by the World Health Organization.

However, the US firm behind the drug, Gilead Sciences, said the documents had mischaracterised the study.

Did the drug have the capacity to cure but not the ability to deliver the cure?

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Did the drug have the capacity to cure but not the ability to deliver the cure?

The data suggest that it may be beneficial if given early ie just after infection but then that makes it less useful practically. In medium infected (hospital but not ICU) there was no significant difference in recoveries (actual numbers favoured control). A significant number of those taking part in the trials were taken off the drug because of side effects.

Larger tests are also in progress elsewhere which should be reporting initial findings soon. 

4 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The data suggest that it may be beneficial if given early ie just after infection but then that makes it less useful practically. In medium infected (hospital but not ICU) there was no significant difference in recoveries (actual numbers favoured control). A significant number of those taking part in the trials were taken off the drug because of side effects.

Larger tests are also in progress elsewhere which should be reporting initial findings soon. 

I was being flippant but thanks for the detail. The reality, I think, has to be that we simply don't know if an effective cure is likely in the near future so any future strategy, and this moves us onto politics really, has to be based on a real-world scenario that there isn't one and it's no use pretending there is.

23 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I was being flippant but thanks for the detail. The reality, I think, has to be that we simply don't know if an effective cure is likely in the near future so any future strategy, and this moves us onto politics really, has to be based on a real-world scenario that there isn't one and it's no use pretending there is.

Gilead are still being bullish (no surprise since they'll have spent a small fortune on development without getting approval for its intended use) and have extended and changed the parameters of their own study. Results from the other larger studies (this was around 290 patients) will be interesting to see.

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not as bad for them Robin , given they only need a month to complete 

They do but, for example, the 'new' season can start as early as July for some teams, especially if they are in European competitions.

Non league football clubs seem to be moving to an expectation that they won't be able to restart until next year - playing behind closed doors isn't an option for them.

Archived