coronavirus

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

They do but, for example, the 'new' season can start as early as July for some teams, especially if they are in European competitions.

Non league football clubs seem to be moving to an expectation that they won't be able to restart until next year - playing behind closed doors isn't an option for them.

Rhyl went out of business yesterday. ?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Rhyl went out of business yesterday. ?

Did they? I missed that.

I saw Aber there once. We won 2-0, I think.

Or lost 2-0. It was a good day out though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

They do but, for example, the 'new' season can start as early as July for some teams, especially if they are in European competitions.

Non league football clubs seem to be moving to an expectation that they won't be able to restart until next year - playing behind closed doors isn't an option for them.

The clubs have voted to end the season but with p&r still under discussion https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52381612 On the topic of televised games without a crowd the Bundesliga estimate that around 300 people will need to be present at the stadium.

1 minute ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

The clubs have voted to end the season but with p&r still under discussion https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52381612 On the topic of televised games without a crowd the Bundesliga estimate that around 300 people will need to be present at the stadium.

Yup - Hastings, for example, are among several teams taking a legal challenge to the FA because they 'voided' the season rather than deal with any promotion and relegation in the lower tiers. There do seem to be some informed voices saying that it will be public liability insurance that means that clubs at that sort of level won't be able to play again before next year - i.e. when there's something formal and followable about large gatherings.

Saw that about the Bundesliga. £2.2m to be spent by them on private testing, I think I read as well.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

From the BBC live feed:

Hopes of getting an antiviral drug to treat Covid-19 took a knock after remdesivir reportedly failed in its first randomised clinical trial.

A Chinese trial showed the drug had not been successful, according to draft documents accidentally published by the World Health Organization.

However, the US firm behind the drug, Gilead Sciences, said the documents had mischaracterised the study.

The thing to remember is that in the US, drugs like this can be advertised to the public and they then pester their doctors for prescriptions. Many doctors then get kick-backs for certain brand prescriptions. What an independent body says is irrelevant when it comes to persuading the public to buy that drug at a grossly inflated price.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, gingerjon said:

Yup - Hastings, for example, are among several teams taking a legal challenge to the FA because they 'voided' the season rather than deal with any promotion and relegation in the lower tiers. There do seem to be some informed voices saying that it will be public liability insurance that means that clubs at that sort of level won't be able to play again before next year - i.e. when there's something formal and followable about large gatherings.

Saw that about the Bundesliga. £2.2m to be spent by them on private testing, I think I read as well.

Yes they were talking of needing 20000 tests - the only prices I've seen are for South African labs which charge £50-100 per test. Unless someone comes up with a cheap and reliable test then that cost alone will make restarting many sports more difficult.

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

The thing to remember is that in the US, drugs like this can be advertised to the public and they then pester their doctors for prescriptions. Many doctors then get kick-backs for certain brand prescriptions. What an independent body says is irrelevant when it comes to persuading the public to buy that drug at a grossly inflated price.

I don't think it's approved for use for anything (even Ebola that it was developed to treat) at the moment so unlikely available to the general public (or even most medics). The Gilead trial extension can be viewed in 2 ways: either it's showing promise and they want more data to confirm or it's not working as thought and they're looking for another avenue 

21 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Someone puts a smile on our faces .... there's always some annoying person who massively overreacts..... 

He's made a bit of a #### out of himself..

Lot of them about at the moment. It's as if they've been waiting for this moment all of their lives.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, fevtom said:

Trump has suggested that they should look into injecting people with disinfectant. This is really exciting stuff. I can only imagine if the President of the United States has said it, there must be some solid science behind it*.

*To cover myself legally I should probably point out it's not a good idea.

If all his supporters do this,it could kill enough of them to make sure he doe'nt get re-elected.

Positive result LOL.

On 22/04/2020 at 20:00, bobbruce said:

How do you know you are vulnerable. When it says they died with an underlying condition sometimes the person doesn’t know they have/had an underlying condition. 

Absolutely, one of the main risk factors is unmanaged hypertension. Many hundreds of thousands of Brits in the 35-59 age group fall into that category simply because they are blissfully unaware they have high blood pressure.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Absolutely, one of the main risk factors is unmanaged hypertension. Many hundreds of thousands of Brits in the 35-59 age group fall into that category simply because they are blissfully unaware they have high blood pressure.

I remember being at a summer bbq around 1996. The memsahib, after watching all three blokes there went and got her sphyg from the car and took the blood pressure of all three of us. John at 160/110 was the best of the three of us. I will remember my numbers.. 222/165 as long as I live. It's a wonder I didn't pop.

All three of us sought treatment the following week.

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I remember being at a summer bbq around 1996. The memsahib, after watching all three blokes there went and got her sphyg from the car and took the blood pressure of all three of us. John at 160/110 was the best of the three of us. I will remember my numbers.. 222/165 as long as I live. It's a wonder I didn't pop.

Bloody hell!

This seems like a big jump in the Welsh deaths today, anything changed that I missed?

Also, I can't work out why it wouldn't be fair to create context by making an English equivalent. Wales measures about 5.5% of England's population, that 110 deaths equals 2000 deaths in England. Again, is there anything wrong with that context?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Nowadays blood pressure monitoring machines are quite cheap... I often think NHS should just ship them to people in the at risk age group.

I take mine on a regular basis, email to the GP surgery and the Doc rings me to chat about...  I always assumed that's how it worked for lots of people nowadays if not in 96..

12 minutes ago, ckn said:

This seems like a big jump in the Welsh deaths today, anything changed that I missed?

Also, I can't work out why it wouldn't be fair to create context by making an English equivalent. Wales measures about 5.5% of England's population, that 110 deaths equals 2000 deaths in England. Again, is there anything wrong with that context?

Lag/delays in reporting from NW Wales Heath Board.

1 minute ago, Pen-Y-Bont Crusader said:

Lag/delays in reporting from NW Wales Heath Board.

Makes sense. You have to travel back in time to get to Gwynedd so there will be a delay in information coming back.

roads chocka block busy today, I repeat the lockdown is a farce, severely punishing large sections of the public and letting others get away with everything

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

roads chocka block busy today, I repeat the lockdown is a farce, severely punishing large sections of the public and letting others get away with everything

Where? 

I’ve been up and down a stretch of the A1 today and no busier than the last 3wks. 

25 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Feel sorry for these people... the last thing you want is to be tested by a horrible, sweaty Scottish Infantry soldier (top picture). Well, except for having a Royal Marine put anything near you mouth (bottom picture)... #rancidblokes

25FDED51-8450-4242-96C8-4359529B26B4.jpeg

4CFD6195-F0AC-4324-B6C0-F239A2F6FFB0.jpeg

isn't the bloke on the right in the bottom picture kirk from coronation street?

36 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Feel sorry for these people... the last thing you want is to be tested by a horrible, sweaty Scottish Infantry soldier (top picture). Well, except for having a Royal Marine put anything near you mouth (bottom picture)... #rancidblokes

25FDED51-8450-4242-96C8-4359529B26B4.jpeg

4CFD6195-F0AC-4324-B6C0-F239A2F6FFB0.jpeg

At least the marines will have experience of inserting small things. ?

I hope they're not Q-stores blokes. "Right, you're a sprog so are getting this used swab, although if our fishing fund were to increase then I may be able to find a new one".

don't be fooled by the mind games that we are in week 4 of lockdown, the pubs have now been shut for 5 weeks- no amount of announcement timing alters actual time 

Archived