coronavirus

9 hours ago, fevtom said:

Trump has suggested that they should look into injecting people with disinfectant. This is really exciting stuff. I can only imagine if the President of the United States has said it, there must be some solid science behind it*.

*To cover myself legally I should probably point out it's not a good idea.

To be fair to Mr Trump, he's clearly using his ears to show correct social distancing, because he always demonstrates that there's eight inches of clear air between them.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBC peddling YESTERDAY's news from little Jimmy Crankie. They tell us in depth as a headline, they then tell us in depth in the main report, then find 3 different correspondents to tell us in depth what they told us yesterday.

Todays news about the problem with the new online website will be rehashed again tomorrow along with the problems of sourcing PEP. This will then be followed by whether we should all be wearing masks. IF the scientist do decide its a good idea to wear a mask the BBC will change tack and be pressing for us to stop wearing masks. One of the biggest events,  in our lifetimes and the BBC manage to make it boring.

And another thing. Every day at 5pm big brother tells us that now over 100,000 people have been tested. Surely any historic testing is now negated as those tested could have been now been infected in any of the days and weeks since their test?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

2 minutes ago, Bearman said:

BBC peddling YESTERDAY's news from little Jimmy Crankie. They tell us in depth as a headline, they then tell us in depth in the main report, then find 3 different correspondents to tell us in depth what they told us yesterday.

Todays news about the problem with the new online website will be rehashed again tomorrow along with the problems of sourcing PEP. This will then be followed by whether we should all be wearing masks. IF the scientist do decide its a good idea to wear a mask the BBC will change tack and be pressing for us to stop wearing masks. One of the biggest events,  in our lifetimes and the BBC manage to make it boring.

And another thing. Every day at 5pm big brother tells us that now over 100,000 people have been tested. Surely any historic testing is now negated as those tested could have been now been infected in any of the days and weeks since their test?

yep- its getting boring- same old same old- its human nature to break rank

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

BBC News just now informing us that people were heeding the stay at home message in the "tourist honeypot of Scarborough".

Not surprised. That north easterly blowing onto the Yorkshire coast this week has been enough to take your face off. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

so predictable... said when it was announced their be loads of journalists looking for fault... when the journalists point fingers its the actual ordinary people that work to create the capability.

All I can say is thank god it ain't my bank or someone like TSB that's doing the web site. As my bank is always having problems with its on line capability.

Anyway it didn't crash it stopped allowing people to book more time slots that didn't exist. you know just like the supermarket on line that we use does... until it free's up more time slots.

Mind you maybe should have got a supermarket to do it --- maybe not as they all had problems initially too.

I have lost faith in journalists whom probably have never had to do anything but just report on other people or organisations failures or success...

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Where? 

I’ve been up and down a stretch of the A1 today and no busier than the last 3wks. 

although given the amount of talk about lifting restrictions by the press I wouldn't be surprised if their is more people moving about.

I think the stats they use showed a slight increase last couple of days... 

Just by talking about what the possible restriction easing will look like surely will make some think well if their going to ease soon I'll no problem if I start sooner. I mean its only me.... multiplied by however many xxxxxxx

3 hours ago, redjonn said:

although given the amount of talk about lifting restrictions by the press I wouldn't be surprised if their is more people moving about.

I think the stats they use showed a slight increase last couple of days... 

Just by talking about what the possible restriction easing will look like surely will make some think well if their going to ease soon I'll no problem if I start sooner. I mean its only me.... multiplied by however many xxxxxxx

Which is why the government doesn't want to talk about the bloody exit strategy.  Thanks to the press the whole thing could go pear shaped.  They are just SO irresponsible.

Yes, the chart did show an uptick in car use, and the medic made a point of referring to it.

6 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Feel sorry for these people... the last thing you want is to be tested by a horrible, sweaty Scottish Infantry soldier (top picture). Well, except for having a Royal Marine put anything near you mouth (bottom picture)... #rancidblokes

25FDED51-8450-4242-96C8-4359529B26B4.jpeg

4CFD6195-F0AC-4324-B6C0-F239A2F6FFB0.jpeg

I wouldn't at all mind having that Royal Marine guy who is crouching down 'putting something near' my mouth.  ? I really must book a test … 

51 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I wouldn't at all mind having that Royal Marine guy who is crouching down 'putting something near' my mouth.  ? I really must book a test … 

That's not what I expected when I opened this thread anyway. 

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's not what I expected when I opened this thread anyway. 

The virus is changing everybody.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

13 hours ago, redjonn said:

so predictable... said when it was announced their be loads of journalists looking for fault... when the journalists point fingers its the actual ordinary people that work to create the capability.

All I can say is thank god it ain't my bank or someone like TSB that's doing the web site. As my bank is always having problems with its on line capability.

Anyway it didn't crash it stopped allowing people to book more time slots that didn't exist. you know just like the supermarket on line that we use does... until it free's up more time slots.

Mind you maybe should have got a supermarket to do it --- maybe not as they all had problems initially too.

I have lost faith in journalists whom probably have never had to do anything but just report on other people or organisations failures or success...

Yes, what they should really be challenging is the fact that Hancock has constantly been telling us that demand ain't high for these tests, hence they can't hit their targets yet surprise surprise as soon as it is made easier for people to register for tests there is demand. 

It's like the BBC putting an RL international on the red button and using the numbers as evidence that demand is low. 

But, once again, we do need to be careful not to spend our time bashing journos and holding them to higher account than our politicians. 

9 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Which is why the government doesn't want to talk about the bloody exit strategy.  Thanks to the press the whole thing could go pear shaped.  They are just SO irresponsible.

Yes, the chart did show an uptick in car use, and the medic made a point of referring to it.

I'm afraid I just can't agree with that position. We can't avoid transparency and blame the media for that. The government's comms has been muddled, let's not put all that on the media, who at worst have been boring. 

The government can hold the position that they don't want to be transparent on this and will tell us when they see fit, that is a stance they can justify, its not one I support but they are well within their rights, but let's not use the media as an excuse for that. 

The reason I disagree with it is because the likes of Whitty and Vallance in particular are very loose lipped and they actually cause problems with some of their comments. Even this week I think it was Whitty who explained that we will have some form of measures in place until the end of the year. We'll, I'm sorry, you are either talking exit strategy or you aren't, because that is part of exit strategy. But vague enough to raise more questions and confuse people and make them anxious. 

Muddled communication is down to the government and advisors.

27 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm afraid I just can't agree with that position. We can't avoid transparency and blame the media for that. The government's comms has been muddled, let's not put all that on the media, who at worst have been boring. 

The government can hold the position that they don't want to be transparent on this and will tell us when they see fit, that is a stance they can justify, its not one I support but they are well within their rights, but let's not use the media as an excuse for that. 

The reason I disagree with it is because the likes of Whitty and Vallance in particular are very loose lipped and they actually cause problems with some of their comments. Even this week I think it was Whitty who explained that we will have some form of measures in place until the end of the year. We'll, I'm sorry, you are either talking exit strategy or you aren't, because that is part of exit strategy. But vague enough to raise more questions and confuse people and make them anxious. 

Muddled communication is down to the government and advisors.

Very succinctly put and saves me the bother of blustering my drivel to make the same point.

16 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

don't be fooled by the mind games that we are in week 4 of lockdown, the pubs have now been shut for 5 weeks- no amount of announcement timing alters actual time 

On my walk yesterday I passed my local. The landlord was sat having a bottled beer in the beer garden. I shouted over " When are you opening again Simon ? "

He replied " Not before September at the earliest matey ".

The lock down is saving me a fortune.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I read an interesting point just now that I'm as a guilty of as anyone.

People will say they have no trust in 'the media' - and they will say this when asked - yet will have some groups within that that they do trust and trust probably more than they should.

The classic one we all know is people in America who will say they don't trust media elites but will then believe everything Fox tells them.

Meanwhile, I get grumpy about 'the media' whilst tracking stories on the FT.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

20 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I read an interesting point just now that I'm as a guilty of as anyone.

People will say they have no trust in 'the media' - and they will say this when asked - yet will have some groups within that that they do trust and trust probably more than they should.

The classic one we all know is people in America who will say they don't trust media elites but will then believe everything Fox tells them.

Meanwhile, I get grumpy about 'the media' whilst tracking stories on the FT.

Normally when people say they do not trust the media, they think they are brilliant at critical thinking. In reality, it means the shop around to find what agrees with them.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Germany has reported an increase in Covid19 cases,and deaths.

May not be a good time to restart the Bundesliga.

This,of course,after some of the the great and good,(Guardian journalists) informed us how far ahead the Germans were when it came to Coronavirus.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Cool. I'm going to increase the number of my friends by an order of magnitude....although some I choose might not be that happy ?

_111932253_dm.jpg

The landlord and landlady of the local will be in my list. ?

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

40 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Germany has reported an increase in Covid19 cases,and deaths.

May not be a good time to restart the Bundesliga.

This,of course,after some of the the great and good,(Guardian journalists) informed us how far ahead the Germans were when it came to Coronavirus.

Think we have to accept that thing won’t go back to normal until we find a cure or an effective treatment

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yes, what they should really be challenging is the fact that Hancock has constantly been telling us that demand ain't high for these tests, hence they can't hit their targets yet surprise surprise as soon as it is made easier for people to register for tests there is demand. 

It's like the BBC putting an RL international on the red button and using the numbers as evidence that demand is low. 

But, once again, we do need to be careful not to spend our time bashing journos and holding them to higher account than our politicians. 

maybe but I guess first task is to create the capability. It seems they are doing so. We can argue it was slow etc... but to get to the capability is an achievement as many said it couldn't be done..

Obviously not sufficient just having the capability and for sure questions should be asked about how going to ensure usage of the tests... or if in order to achieve usage we are just filling the testing just to make use of... as distinct from a logical rational as whom is being tested and why.

I have no problem holding politicians to account, especially in an informed debate/discussion.  In the main the questioning at press conference is merely sound bite stuff either looking for a sensational headline or to front a news item slot with the question from their own journalist even where the question is merely a repeat of another journalist.   

Objective searching questions have been very rare.  

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Cool. I'm going to increase the number of my friends by an order of magnitude....although some I choose might not be that happy ?

_111932253_dm.jpg

I think this must be one of those "let's leak it and see how it flies" things.

I've seen a couple of comments today saying that this will do nothing but make the majority happy at the expense of the minority. For example, lonely people, older folk with few friends/family left and so on, it'll just increase their feelings of worthlessness if they can't add 10 people to the list, or are blocked because the people they'd like to add to it are already at their maximum number of households/friends.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

I tend to believe it because this is classic bread and circuses stuff. 

The NHS seems to be coping. In fact they are worried that there aren’t enough patients in general (ie for other diseases than Covid). Play on!

You do realise that over 100 frontline healthcare workers have given their lives fighting this virus.

Your idiotic Play on statement sums you up perfectly,totally clueless with no grasp of reality.

Archived