coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Concerns over increased traffic on the roads expressed today, something picked up by a few of us earlier in the week.

What does the data say?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/04/24/government-tells-uk-businesses-time-get-back-work/amp/

Further evidence of the narrative changing. June recommencement is looking increasingly likely 

It’s clear the government wants sport to continue - albeit behind closed doors at first - and there’s nothing the scared crusties can do about it ? 

1 hour ago, Ullman said:

A mate of mine who was an unreconstructed Marxist used to buy The Economist every month. He reckoned it was the best source of objective information on British capitalism you could get your hands on.

I remember reading in The Economist on why they favoured democracy and it was wonderfully cold and rational rather than idealistic.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

47 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Concerns over increased traffic on the roads expressed today, something picked up by a few of us earlier in the week.

I've seen about 10 motorbikes through our village today, which is more than on a usual Saturday afternoon. I'd expect at least some are keeping off the main roads to keep below the radar. Obviously I can't comment on where they were all going, or if the journey was essential, however if suspect in the case of the two I saw with pillions(one of which was a child), it's likely a leisure trip. Likewise the the group of four together. 

It's doubly infuriating for me. Other than the obvious ignoring of guidelines, for me it's rubbing my face in it, given I'm itching to go out on my own bike, but won't until restrictions are lifted. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

48 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

I've seen about 10 motorbikes through our village today, which is more than on a usual Saturday afternoon. I'd expect at least some are keeping off the main roads to keep below the radar. Obviously I can't comment on where they were all going, or if the journey was essential, however if suspect in the case of the two I saw with pillions(one of which was a child), it's likely a leisure trip. Likewise the the group of four together. 

It's doubly infuriating for me. Other than the obvious ignoring of guidelines, for me it's rubbing my face in it, given I'm itching to go out on my own bike, but won't until restrictions are lifted. 

Are motorbikes not allowed? 

Nottinghamshire and then Doncaster to the North are experiencing higher than average increases in positive tests, ICU patients and unfortunately, deaths compared to many other unitary authorities currently. We had a 'slow' start, but it seems to be flat at best, and possible increasing.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Only for commuting if you can't work at home, essential shopping, etc, same as cars. I'm assuming mainly unnecessary journeys, at least in the main today (see my logic for that assumption in last post). I'd use mine if I was called in to work at the hospital rather than working at home, but not when it would only be a leisure ride. 

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

As i posted a couple of days ago. A mate who is a bike mot tester and whose only other vehicle (he has 2 bikes) is an old VW camper was stopped by Mr Plod on the way to Tesco on bike wit rucksack and told he could have walked to Aldi or CoOp so go home

I used bike to go collect a click and collect (I have a 46l topbox) and having not run for a month it ran like a pig, realised after few mins the choke was stuck open , guessing the unleaded has turned to varnish in the carbs, tapped the choke slide in with a punch and came back the long way around (3 miles not 2) and sorted. Reckon when this lifts mechanics are going to be doing a roaring trade in homestarts and services

11 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Germany has reported an increase in Covid19 cases,and deaths.

May not be a good time to restart the Bundesliga.

This,of course,after some of the the great and good,(Guardian journalists) informed us how far ahead the Germans were when it came to Coronavirus.

Don't need to be great or good to see that Germany is doing better, you don't even need to read any papers, just look at the figures.

Germany 155,782 cases  5,843 deaths

UK  148,377 cases 20,319 deaths

I think we need a good dose of rain.  I believe we are due rain for most of this week.  I think we need it.  People won't be as tempted to go out if it rains.  They may go mad in their houses but they won't be tempted to have BBQs or travel to the beach or whatever.  That may help with the lockdown as clearly it's fraying at the edges.

8 hours ago, DoubleD said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/04/24/government-tells-uk-businesses-time-get-back-work/amp/

Further evidence of the narrative changing. June recommencement is looking increasingly likely 

Don't get too excited...

However, a return to action still depends on the government's five tests being met, especially an increase in testing, and meeting social distancing guidelines.

The meetings are viewed as preparatory, and intended to avoid a further delay to seasons being resumed once approval is granted, rather than a sign that it was imminent. Indeed, there is an acceptance that the plans being put in place may not end up being implemented for months if progress elsewhere is not made.

8 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Sweden is an example of a country that has implemented social distancing and has generally followed the rules.

Flattening the curve for them was possible that way. 

Yeah they've been so successful that they've only had 2.5 times as many deaths as the combined total of all the other Scandinavian countries with a death rate per capita between 3 and 7 times that of their neighbours. 

16 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yeah they've been so successful that they've only had 2.5 times as many deaths as the combined total of all the other Scandinavian countries with a death rate per capita between 3 and 7 times that of their neighbours. 

Thats the implications of social distancing without a lockdown. I never actually said successful, I suggested it as an example of how a country following rules without armed intervention (like there is in Spain and Italy) vs a country with a population not following those rules. 

It seems their healthcare system has been able to cope. Until there is a vaccine deaths are an inevitable reality sadly. Flattening the curve is just jargon for spreading out the number of people in hospital at any one time. Their statistics also crucially include those dying in elderly homes and account for 50% of their death rate - something which not all countries including our own . It appears the migrant community, of which Sweden's is double that of Norway's for example, is disproportionately affected - as it is in most places in the world.

They've also not had anything like as much of the associated costs of shutting down their economy, as the USA with huge unemployment and Britain with Government furlough have found for example. They think they can carry on with social distancing as the primary method to deal with the virus because they think their population will adhere to it.

My original point was that the exit from this will depend on how much it is believed our population will adhere to any new rules as lockdown is inevitably loosened. In Sweden they've planned for the reality that the rest of the world faces that we will have to come out of lockdown at some point and changed their lives to fit that reality. Norway and Germany after a period of lockdown are now following suit.

The aim is to limit the reproduction of the virus to less than 1. 

13 hours ago, gazza77 said:

A few bikes round here but not many. 

1. Lincs Blood Bikes (1 mate rides for them,  another is coodinator)

2. Various schemes for prescription deliveries etc to vulnerable and housebound people (2 mates)

3. Travel to and from work - lots of people still at work - legitimate shops, hospital laundries,  etc

9 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats the implications of social distancing without a lockdown. I never actually said successful, I suggested it as an example of how a country following rules without armed intervention (like there is in Spain and Italy) vs a country with a population not following those rules. 

I know you get this but it's surprising how many people don't: there are enforced restrictions in Sweden. There are a lot of loopholes and the enforcement isn't Guardia Civil level but there's still a fair bit.

As far as I know there's also no sport going on at all.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This is an interesting perspective on what's happening in Germany now some shops have been allowed to reopen: https://www.ft.com/content/10e9b3fd-8e36-4cae-b1c0-b08fcc4a3c11

TL:DR - no one is shopping.

14 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No , ban the lot 

Harsh maybe, ? but as a non bike enthusiast I wasn't sure if there were different rules.

But once again I am surprised that people are surprised about people being outside. There has been a minor uplift in motor vehicle use according to the stats, which will obviously be more marked in som areas, but travel is still massively down on normal levels. 

As the weather is nicer it is no surprise that some people may use their bikes. 

People need to not get so angry about people social distancing. 

17 minutes ago, JohnM said:

A few bikes round here but not many. 

1. Lincs Blood Bikes (1 mate rides for them,  another is coodinator)

2. Various schemes for prescription deliveries etc to vulnerable and housebound people (2 mates)

3. Travel to and from work - lots of people still at work - legitimate shops, hospital laundries,  etc

Indeed. Plenty of legitimate reasons to ride your bike. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Harsh maybe, ? but as a non bike enthusiast I wasn't sure if there were different rules.

But once again I am surprised that people are surprised about people being outside. There has been a minor uplift in motor vehicle use according to the stats, which will obviously be more marked in som areas, but travel is still massively down on normal levels. 

As the weather is nicer it is no surprise that some people may use their bikes. 

People need to not get so angry about people social distancing. 

I get the feeling that If it goes #### up people like me will get the brunt of the blame for it. I’m going to work and keeping to social distancing rules as I should be. Yet every day listening to the radio you get mixed messages as if half the country don’t know what the rules are. Every traffic report starts with no major issues as you’d expect with only key workers on the road. Well no it’s not only key workers it’s any worker that can keep to social distancing but absolutely can’t work from home. 

19 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I get the feeling that If it goes #### up people like me will get the brunt of the blame for it. I’m going to work and keeping to social distancing rules as I should be. Yet every day listening to the radio you get mixed messages as if half the country don’t know what the rules are. Every traffic report starts with no major issues as you’d expect with only key workers on the road. Well no it’s not only key workers it’s any worker that can keep to social distancing but absolutely can’t work from home. 

Quite so. I do, though, believe most people do know the rules. The rules are clear. It's the media that is raising peoples expectations of an easing of lockdown thus creating uncertainty. 

I've watched Sky Sophy Ridge and BBC Breakfast this morning totally misrepresent the situation, as did Rachel Burden on BBC. The lockdown in France, Spain, Italy is more severe and more rigorously enforced than here, so any easing there starts from a stricter regime. In Spain, for example, kids under 14 have been confined to their homes. 

We are at a critical point in this outbreak and any easing could be disastrous and it is the duty of the media to reflect this. Yes. ask challenging questions but at the same time realise your responsibilities to the truth. 

Archived