coronavirus

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just for context - what’s our ICU capacity at a normal time? ie is 15,000 an exceptional number of people to be hospitalised with a high risk condition (of whatever nature) at one time?

The average is around 1/4 of COVID hospitalised patients are in ITU, the rest are in either normal wards or high intensity beds. That’s still just shy of 4000 patients though in ITU. 

Prior to COVID, we had 3700 ITU beds. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Damien said:

Its interesting to look at the data from Google on how people's mobility has changed. It really is staggering to see the difference. For anyone interested you can look at the link below at your region and literally any country in the world:

https://www.google.com/covid19/mobility/

It does strike me how the UK compares far more favourably than Demark, and Liverpool has been far better behaved than Copenhagen. I mention this as it goes against stereotype.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Just for context - what’s our ICU capacity at a normal time? ie is 15,000 an exceptional number of people to be hospitalised with a high risk condition (of whatever nature) at one time?

There are over 100,000 acute and overnight beds in England.

In December NHS England figures showed 83% occupancy.

There are actually 5,900 ICU beds I have attached a link for information.

All of the coronovirus patients won't be ICU, not at the same time certainly.

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/nhs-hospital-bed-numbers

25 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

It does strike me how the UK compares far more favourably than Demark, and Liverpool has been far better behaved than Copenhagen. I mention this as it goes against stereotype.

That is interesting and the UK is closer to France and Spain that has much stricter lockdowns. Sweden's figures as a result of their more relaxed policy is interesting too.

1 hour ago, BryanC said:

BTW - Doing a sterling job of keeping me on "ignore" old lad.

Pathetic.

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well have been this damn virus, and he had to look after the entire forum on his own.

Go find another site to troll.

Goodbye.

• ckn unlocked this topic

Unlocking the thread again to allow for this morning's content to be discussed off the more toxic politics threads.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

A number of posts removed, haven't gone back more than last night as we have jobs to do. Have fun in a slightly sanitised thread free of the dross of politics.

I needed to see a GP yesterday, Monday,  and I thought I would relate the experience here as it illustrates life under lockdown. This is not conjecture, it’s my direct experience. If you need a GP, do not hold back.  It all worked like clockwork.

I was following up on two previous telephone consultations from a few weeks ago. I phoned appointments at 8. 15 yesterday morning, waited in a queue for a few minutes, was automatically notified of my position in the queue “you are number one in the queue”, answered the required Covid -19 questions and was told the GP would call me back. She did so within the hour, asked me the same questions then we discussed the reason I wanted to see her. She made an appointment for me to visit her at the health centre at 5.10 pm yesterday, Monday.

On arrival at the empty car park, I waited in the car until ten mins before the due time rather than in the in the waiting room.   The health centre was closed, and you had to use the intercom to announce yourself.  Same Covid 19 questions were asked, details and appointment checked, and outer door opened remotely.  Once through that, it was closed, and the inner door opened automatically.  My temperature was checked by the receptionist who was not wearing a mask and was in normal uniform.

I then waited in the designated area. At least half the chairs had been removed to leave 2 metre gaps between chairs and the TV and check-in screens were covered up and the toilets closed. There was no one else waiting anywhere in the centre.

The GP appeared, goggled, masked and gowned and invited me into her surgery.   On a worktop there were various items of PPE including a visor. All her implements of torture were swabbed before use.

The consultation and examination were thorough and comprehensive, and conclusions discussed.  We then had a short conversation about Covid - 19.  She said it was already circulating in our local community and that the best way to avoid it was not to join the queue at Lidl or the Coop but to use delivery services (we already use ASDA for that, once every 14 days)

Given my condition and recovery from cardiac surgery, I thought she would welcome the fact that we had not exercised much off our property, especially since the gym had been closed since mid-March. She said that polishing my motorbike or doing odd jobs did not count as exercise and told me to get out and take a daily walk along the beach as the risk of catching anything especially with an east wind blowing was low, whereas queuing at Lidl was much more risky. Stopped off at the beach on the way back and for as far as the eye could see, there were only two people out exercising a dog.

17 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

ONS reporting over 5,000 deaths in care homes. 

A little more information here from the Independent:

There have been more than 5,000 deaths linked to Coronavirus in English care homes, according to the latest data from the Office for National Statistics and Care Quality Commission.

The ONS and CQC have been collecting the number of deaths reported in care homes since the epidemic began, amid concerns the virus has become entrenched in care homes.

According to its latest statistics published today the ONS said there had been a total of 2,906 deaths involving Covid-19 in English care homes up to 17 April.

The latest data from the CQC shows an additional 2,375 Covid-19 related care home deaths between 18 April to 24 April, bringing the total to 5,281.

On its website the ONS also revealed the number of deaths in England alone, registered by 25 April had reached 21,284.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-care-home-death-toll-england-office-national-statistics-a9487481.html

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I needed to see a GP yesterday, Monday,  and I thought I would relate the experience here as it illustrates life under lockdown. This is not conjecture, it’s my direct experience. If you need a GP, do not hold back.  It all worked like clockwork.

I was following up on two previous telephone consultations from a few weeks ago. I phoned appointments at 8. 15 yesterday morning, waited in a queue for a few minutes, was automatically notified of my position in the queue “you are number one in the queue”, answered the required Covid -19 questions and was told the GP would call me back. She did so within the hour, asked me the same questions then we discussed the reason I wanted to see her. She made an appointment for me to visit her at the health centre at 5.10 pm yesterday, Monday.

On arrival at the empty car park, I waited in the car until ten mins before the due time rather than in the in the waiting room.   The health centre was closed, and you had to use the intercom to announce yourself.  Same Covid 19 questions were asked, details and appointment checked, and outer door opened remotely.  Once through that, it was closed, and the inner door opened automatically.  My temperature was checked by the receptionist who was not wearing a mask and was in normal uniform.

I then waited in the designated area. At least half the chairs had been removed to leave 2 metre gaps between chairs and the TV and check-in screens were covered up and the toilets closed. There was no one else waiting anywhere in the centre.

The GP appeared, goggled, masked and gowned and invited me into her surgery.   On a worktop there were various items of PPE including a visor. All her implements of torture were swabbed before use.

The consultation and examination were thorough and comprehensive, and conclusions discussed.  We then had a short conversation about Covid - 19.  She said it was already circulating in our local community and that the best way to avoid it was not to join the queue at Lidl or the Coop but to use delivery services (we already use ASDA for that, once every 14 days)

Given my condition and recovery from cardiac surgery, I thought she would welcome the fact that we had not exercised much off our property, especially since the gym had been closed since mid-March. She said that polishing my motorbike or doing odd jobs did not count as exercise and told me to get out and take a daily walk along the beach as the risk of catching anything especially with an east wind blowing was low, whereas queuing at Lidl was much more risky. Stopped off at the beach on the way back and for as far as the eye could see, there were only two people out exercising a dog.

GP practices have this well organised now, practices are kept as COVID-free as possible to allow folk on the shielded list the lowest risk opportunity possible to come into a practice when needed.

If you had ANY COVID symptoms, as a shielded person you'd be sent home and you'd probably get a home visit instead. If you weren't shielded then you'd be given the address of a "hot" site in your patch where the GPs and staff will be in the highest levels of PPE available for their and your safety, and good cleans of everything in the room inbetween appointments.

There is always some risk but the NHS has done everything possible to minimise that risk.

11 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

2000 in that week up to 17 Apr isn’t it?

Yes. It's 2,000 for the single week to 17th April.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

32 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

2000 in that week up to 17 Apr isn’t it? Stats I have seen are 2900 up to that point and another 2300 since. 

Damien has added the link earlier today in this thread.

From what I can gather there are two sources of information being used.  The ONS figures take the death toll to the end of the week to 17 April but thereafter the figures are based on CQC figures to 25 April, which use a different method of recording to the ONS.  

I'd rather just stick with the ONS figures tbh as that is consistent and actually recorded.

I read an article by Piers Morgan saying that after the Covid is over people will have money to burn and we can have a ve style celebration. (It's not a Political comment, just about this comment)

I thought this was incorrect. The reality is that food prices have risen as the special offers are no more. Also we can't shop around anymore. Bills are higher because of home working.

Also I know a lot of friends, staff on 80% pay now.

I don't have money spare after food and bills anyway, so I definitely won't have money to burn.

I think we are all probably the same. 

5 minutes ago, Niels said:

I read an article by Piers Morgan saying that after the Covid is over people will have money to burn and we can have a ve style celebration. (It's not a Political comment, just about this comment)

I thought this was incorrect. The reality is that food prices have risen as the special offers are no more. Also we can't shop around anymore. Bills are higher because of home working.

Also I know a lot of friends, staff on 80% pay now.

I don't have money spare after food and bills anyway, so I definitely won't have money to burn.

I think we are all probably the same. 

I’ve just returned from Tesco in Salisbury and special offers are starting to reappear.

with the money I saved I bought a bottle of Gin

Archived