coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well have not been to hole in wall for 5 weeks,Missed 2 coach holidays and a few games/days off,only been out once to chemists but now get delivery,You can still get wonky veg and own brand stuff once you get a slot, so have reckoned up have saved £1.350 in past 5 weeks, I think once its over people will have one hell of a street party> at christmas.Not sure when next holiday will be or were i will be going.

19 minutes ago, Niels said:

I read an article by Piers Morgan saying that after the Covid is over people will have money to burn and we can have a ve style celebration. (It's not a Political comment, just about this comment)

I thought this was incorrect. The reality is that food prices have risen as the special offers are no more. Also we can't shop around anymore. Bills are higher because of home working.

Also I know a lot of friends, staff on 80% pay now.

I don't have money spare after food and bills anyway, so I definitely won't have money to burn.

I think we are all probably the same. 

Some are worse off but some are far better off. I even know people furloughed who are far better off as whilst on 80% pay they don't have the expenses associated with working.

42 minutes ago, Niels said:

I read an article by Piers Morgan saying that after the Covid is over people will have money to burn and we can have a ve style celebration. (It's not a Political comment, just about this comment)

I think for some it will be true.  I'd be saving £600 a month in my train season ticket for example.  Less takeaways, cafes' etc.  However, many will also, as you say be furloughed or redundant (like me!).  I think there is this idea that once the pubs open they will be rammed, and I'm not sure.  Some pubs will never reopen at a guess.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

28 minutes ago, silverback said:

Well have not been to hole in wall for 5 weeks,Missed 2 coach holidays and a few games/days off,only been out once to chemists but now get delivery,You can still get wonky veg and own brand stuff once you get a slot, so have reckoned up have saved £1.350 in past 5 weeks, I think once its over people will have one hell of a street party> at christmas.Not sure when next holiday will be or were i will be going.

Holidays will be a strange one, less flights/airlines/hotels/etc available, depending how many go bankrupt?  A recession on top?  Some countries still fighting this?  I can't see it being the same?  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

3 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I think for some it will be true.  I'd be saving £600 a month in my train season ticket for example.  Less takeaways, cafes' etc.  However, many will also, as you say be furloughed or redundant (like me!).  I think there is this idea that once the pubs open they will be rammed, and I'm not sure.  Some pubs will never reopen at a guess.  

I drink at a bar and a stall at the market (very posh one, natch). The latter is now open and I have not been back.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

I drink at a bar and a stall at the market (very posh one, natch). The latter is now open and I have not been back.

I think once people get out of a habit they will not go back.

I can see the same with rugby, fans and some players (amateur) will lose the habit and won't be back.  

On 26/04/2020 at 20:46, GeordieSaint said:

Quite enjoying the ‘lockdown’ to be honest.  Spending quality time at home with the family. The pace of life is significantly better and simpler. 

Other than the 13 month old not being able to go out, i would agree.

I work dynamically as it is, but will certainly look to continue when we're all 'back to normal'

Christ, i miss the pub though

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I think the 5000 is the total excess deaths, and 2000 is the ones attributed to corona.  

From the ONS there have been 9000 'extra/excess/above average' since march, but only 3000 have been put down too corona.  So there is a gap, that some might think is due to corona.  

51 minutes ago, Damien said:

Some are worse off but some are far better off. I even know people furloughed who are far better off as whilst on 80% pay they don't have the expenses associated with working.

That’s about where we’re at at the minute. Our outgoings are significantly reduced when we’re stuck at home.  

47 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Aren’t you someone’s stressed out wife? ?

I've nothing against homosexuality but, just as with gin, I've never felt any urge to try it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Up here, gin's only essential for stressed-out women. Did you get it for your wife?

No, us southerners are proper soffistikated and drink Gin and beer without bubbles on top

1 hour ago, Niels said:

I thought this was incorrect. The reality is that food prices have risen as the special offers are no more. Also we can't shop around anymore. Bills are higher because of home working.

Also I know a lot of friends, staff on 80% pay now.

I don't have money spare after food and bills anyway, so I definitely won't have money to burn.

I think we are all probably the same. 

I know your making a serious point but at the risk of me being flippant...

We're saving a small fortune on my missus hairdressing bills... it was a real shock when I noticed how much a cut and colour was when I once checked the bank statement...

42 minutes ago, redjonn said:

A bit worrying is the news reports that the German infection rate has crept up to near 1 again... it was reported as being around 0.7 earlier this month.

Bit concerning regarding relaxing restrictions...

I have to assume that there is an acceptance that the number would increase though as things relax? Is it about trying to keep it at 1 or below though?

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I have to assume that there is an acceptance that the number would increase though as things relax? Is it about trying to keep it at 1 or below though?

just reading the news report... it doesn't expand.  Just warnings about being careful with relaxations.

I guess as the regions have autonomy that central government are rising a warning not to relax too much too soon.

Archived