coronavirus

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I have to assume that there is an acceptance that the number would increase though as things relax? Is it about trying to keep it at 1 or below though?

The plan will be to keep it as far below 1 as possible but with the acceptance that it is likely to rise as restrictions are eased. The trick is to do so in a carefully controlled and monitored way as the real danger is once it starts rising you can fairly quickly lose control (again).

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That last graph regarding the Global Death Comparison in the Daily Update and the number of deaths in all settings was quite stark. Taken from BBC latest news:

Global death comparison

Global deaths
UK governmentCopyright: UK government

Finally, Prof McLean shows the comparison of the UK to other countries when it comes to deaths from Covid-19.

There are two lines for the UK - one is hospitals only, and the other is for deaths in all settings.

36 minutes ago, Damien said:

That last graph regarding the Global Death Comparison in the Daily Update and the number of deaths in all settings was quite stark. Taken from BBC latest news:

Global death comparison

Global deaths
UK governmentCopyright: UK government

Finally, Prof McLean shows the comparison of the UK to other countries when it comes to deaths from Covid-19.

There are two lines for the UK - one is hospitals only, and the other is for deaths in all settings.

The figures are utterly brutal in how many people have died.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On the R number, it wants keeping as low as possible but it has to stay below 1. Once it goes above 1 the virus starts to spread exponentially again and we all might just as well have stopped in the pub the last six weeks.

its reported 2 thirds of the british public want to keep lockdown in place - I think mainly this is because most people are glad to see other peoples lives become as stale and boring as their own in a strange psychological sort of sense of social comparison 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

The submarine commander who allowed his lads to have a BBQ has been sacked

Naval sources told the BBC that Cdr Lewis had been advised both by his senior officers on shore and some of his own officers on the submarine not to go ahead with the party.

A senior defence source said it was one of a number of instances that had undermined trust and credibility in his command.

Cdr Lewis will remain in the Royal Navy but will be assigned another role.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-52464885 

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Naval sources told the BBC that Cdr Lewis had been advised both by his senior officers on shore and some of his own officers on the submarine not to go ahead with the party.

A senior defence source said it was one of a number of instances that had undermined trust and credibility in his command.

Not impressed 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

heard the local massage parlour opens back up next week- as long as everyone wears surgical masks and rubber gloves - which is fine by me as I usually have to pay extra for that.

53 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

its reported 2 thirds of the british public want to keep lockdown in place - I think mainly this is because most people are glad to see other peoples lives become as stale and boring as their own in a strange psychological sort of sense of social comparison 

I would imagine it is because they see the death figures and are very reasonably scared.

I don't want the lockdown to stop.  I experienced incredible strain before the lockdown when I could sense how things were changing and yet I still had to protect my mum while going to work on an overcrowded train into an overcrowded office.  I don't want that strain back again; I don't want to be in a position where I let my guard down for a moment and accidentally bring the virus to my mum.  My brother has had it and my mum's lifelong friend has today died of it.  I don't want the lockdown to end until the death rate is negligible.  

29 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Not impressed 

If he'd been advised in advance not to have the BBQ party, his punishment is more understandable. I still don't think much of the decision, but the fallout makes more sense.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I would imagine it is because they see the death figures and are very reasonably scared.

I don't want the lockdown to stop.  I experienced incredible strain before the lockdown when I could sense how things were changing and yet I still had to protect my mum while going to work on an overcrowded train into an overcrowded office.  I don't want that strain back again; I don't want to be in a position where I let my guard down for a moment and accidentally bring the virus to my mum.  My brother has had it and my mum's lifelong friend has today died of it.  I don't want the lockdown to end until the death rate is negligible.  

I can understand that too- sorry saintslass 

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If he'd been advised in advance not to have the BBQ party, his punishment is more understandable. I still don't think much of the decision, but the fallout makes more sense.

This fits firmly into the class of “idiot orders” as described here

The post-tour decompression urinate-up has been around since the first guy thousands of years ago became a full-time squaddie. Telling a sub commander to not do this is the idiot sort of thing that normally gets officers filtered out before they can get into positions of authority.

It only makes sense to me if you think the senior officer ordering it is sniffing around for a Knighthood and trying to suck up to the political drones.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

11 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Perhaps the Royal Navy could tell us how submariners at sea are keeping 2metres apart?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Perhaps the Royal Navy could tell us how submariners at sea are keeping 2metres apart?

Indeed.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

4 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

yes get the point.

But the article says senior officers said he shouldn't let the party go ahead.   Does that mean he ignored senior commanders orders... then he should be punished by being re-assigned.

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

yes get the point.

But the article says senior officers said he shouldn't let the party go ahead.   Does that mean he ignored senior commanders orders... then he should be punished by being re-assigned.

At worst, it should have been a meeting without coffee with the Admiral. Now, his career is over. He won't get another promotion and will be unlikely to get another command.

Or at best, the Admiral's boss should have told him to not be so bloody stupid and let the boat crew have some time to decompress.

Just now, ckn said:

At worst, it should have been a meeting without coffee with the Admiral. Now, his career is over. He won't get another promotion and will be unlikely to get another command.

Or at best, the Admiral's boss should have told him to not be so bloody stupid and let the boat crew have some time to decompress.

personally I would not have thought a knees up/party was a problem... especially to let off steam after being couped up.

Never-the-less if ignoring senior commanders then its a whole different kettle... no matter whether agree or not

1 minute ago, redjonn said:

personally I would not have thought a knees up/party was a problem... especially to let off steam after being couped up.

Never-the-less if ignoring senior commanders then its a whole different kettle... no matter whether agree or not

One of the lessons you learn in even the lowest levels of army leadership training is to not issue orders that are likely to be ignored or treated as bloody stupid as when you REALLY need compliance then it should be immediate rather than tained by your bloody stupid previous utterings. It should be as much of a career limiting option for the order issuer as it was for the US Secretary of the Navy dismissing the US Navy carrier Captian.

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

One of the lessons you learn in even the lowest levels of army leadership training is to not issue orders that are likely to be ignored or treated as bloody stupid as when you REALLY need compliance then it should be immediate rather than tained by your bloody stupid previous utterings. It should be as much of a career limiting option for the order issuer as it was for the US Secretary of the Navy dismissing the US Navy carrier Captian.

your may be right - was it a nuclear submarine carrying nuclear arms, as I guess commanders may be overly cautious to someone ignoring advice from senior commanders.

I don't know hence question.

A potentially worrying report 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/airborne-coronavirus-detected-in-wuhan-hospitals/ar-BB13mqDY?ocid=spartanntp

Adding to growing evidence that the novel coronavirus can spread through the air, scientists have identified genetic markers of the virus in airborne droplets, many with diameters smaller than one-ten-thousandth of an inch.

That had been previously demonstrated in laboratory experiments, but now Chinese scientists studying real-world conditions report that they captured tiny droplets containing the genetic markers of the virus from the air in two hospitals in Wuhan, China, where the outbreak started.

It remains unknown if the virus in the samples they collected was infectious, but droplets that small, which are expelled by breathing and talking, can remain aloft and be inhaled by others.

6 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

A potentially worrying report 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/airborne-coronavirus-detected-in-wuhan-hospitals/ar-BB13mqDY?ocid=spartanntp

Adding to growing evidence that the novel coronavirus can spread through the air, scientists have identified genetic markers of the virus in airborne droplets, many with diameters smaller than one-ten-thousandth of an inch.

That had been previously demonstrated in laboratory experiments, but now Chinese scientists studying real-world conditions report that they captured tiny droplets containing the genetic markers of the virus from the air in two hospitals in Wuhan, China, where the outbreak started.

It remains unknown if the virus in the samples they collected was infectious, but droplets that small, which are expelled by breathing and talking, can remain aloft and be inhaled by others.

The significance is this might be (I do not know) unclear. It is remarkable how little we actually understand about the transmission about many viruses.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, redjonn said:

your may be right - was it a nuclear submarine carrying nuclear arms, as I guess commanders may be overly cautious to someone ignoring advice from senior commanders.

I don't know hence question.

HMS Trenchant is a (very old) Hunter Killer Submarine, it carries Torpedoes and Cruise Missiles but not Nuclear Missiles in the same way as Trident.

This is very sad from BBC latest news and shows just how fatal the virus is in those with severest symptoms:

Third of hospitalised Covid-19 patients in UK have died, study finds

The biggest study of Covid-19 patients in the UK shows a third admitted to hospital have died.

Just under half have been discharged, with the rest still being treated.

Prof Calum Semple, the chief investigator from the University of Liverpool, said the "crude hospital fatality rate is of the same magnitude as Ebola".

He said around 35-40% of hospitalised Ebola patients die.

"People need to hear this... this is an incredibly dangerous disease."

Nearly 17,000 patients from 166 hospitals were part of the study. Obesity and age both increased the risk of death.

The study also confirmed that men are more likely to have severe disease, and the gap between outcomes for men and women gets wider with age.

Archived