coronavirus

the irony that we are buying masks etc from china is beyond comprehension - they should be shipping them round the world as fast as they can for free with a big SORRY written  on the side of the boxes 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Damien said:

This is very sad from BBC latest news and shows just how fatal the virus is in those with severest symptoms:

Third of hospitalised Covid-19 patients in UK have died, study finds

The biggest study of Covid-19 patients in the UK shows a third admitted to hospital have died.

Just under half have been discharged, with the rest still being treated.

Prof Calum Semple, the chief investigator from the University of Liverpool, said the "crude hospital fatality rate is of the same magnitude as Ebola".

He said around 35-40% of hospitalised Ebola patients die.

"People need to hear this... this is an incredibly dangerous disease."

Nearly 17,000 patients from 166 hospitals were part of the study. Obesity and age both increased the risk of death.

The study also confirmed that men are more likely to have severe disease, and the gap between outcomes for men and women gets wider with age.

Re the sex differences. Germany's positive tests break down as 48% men, 52% women but deaths are 57% men, 43% women.

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

the irony that we are buying masks etc from china is beyond comprehension - they should be shipping them round the world as fast as they can for free with a big SORRY written  on the side of the boxes 

Sadly, we've relied on them for so long that we have no choice.  Hopefully, once this pandemic is finally under control (hopefully that will happen eventually) we can build a serious supply chain here in the UK so that we are never again so utterly dependent upon a country like China in a situation such as this.

25 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Sadly, we've relied on them for so long that we have no choice.  Hopefully, once this pandemic is finally under control (hopefully that will happen eventually) we can build a serious supply chain here in the UK so that we are never again so utterly dependent upon a country like China in a situation such as this.

Or better still design something better 

30 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Or better still design something better 

In relation to gowns, that is already happening.  There are a couple of British firms now manufacturing washable gowns using a water repellent material (different from the disposables).  They can't manufacture an endless amount apparently because they have only been able to secure a limited amount of the necessary material but each garment can be washed 100 times at the necessary temperature before they become useless.  Baby steps.

21 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

In relation to gowns, that is already happening.  There are a couple of British firms now manufacturing washable gowns using a water repellent material (different from the disposables).  They can't manufacture an endless amount apparently because they have only been able to secure a limited amount of the necessary material but each garment can be washed 100 times at the necessary temperature before they become useless.  Baby steps.

In truth the nurses that used their brains when in a crisis using cagoules are nearly there , but it is the masks that are the biggest sticking point 

Just now, GUBRATS said:

In truth the nurses that used their brains when in a crisis using cagoules are nearly there , but it is the masks that are the biggest sticking point 

Masks are being made all over the place, from big companies to schools and their 3D printers.  I think one of the car manufacturers is making masks to scale (the one in Sunderland).  It's just never enough at the moment.

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

Masks are being made all over the place, from big companies to schools and their 3D printers.  I think one of the car manufacturers is making masks to scale (the one in Sunderland).  It's just never enough at the moment.

It never will be , given the number of countries now advising their whole populations to wear them 

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

From what I can see, many people are just carrying on as normal now. I hope I’m wrong (genuinely) but I can imagine another wave coming if people are so slack, so quickly. 

There must be some massive regional variations in this. I know that @Robin Evans has been saying it's close to normal where he is but, honestly, it's all very quiet around here.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, Copa said:

No known active cases in Canberra.

1F22D691-71D7-4C19-8058-596AEE8CA776.jpeg

Good news. Things seem to be getting pretty positive pretty quickly in Australia.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

31 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Which is good and there definitely will be regional variations. But for example the traffic going to and from work is pretty much as it was before, not quite but not far off. Whereas say, 3 weeks ago the roads were like a ghost town and I was expecting to get stopped by the cops (I have a letter from work authorising travel to and from it)

This is pretty much my experience here in Rovrum

4 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

This is pretty much my experience here in Rovrum

Similar here in St Helens, in terms of car usage anyway but then St Helens yesterday once again had the dubious title of the place with the highest Covid infections in Merseyside, which we seem to swap with Knowsley every few days.

Totally oblivious to conditions outside of my house. Just the occasional comments from the wife if she’s gone out for supplies, she’s invariably done this first thing in the morning. I have heard the neighbours’ kids playing in the street more this week

An anecdote at best but maybe a sign of the future. When my father-in-law retired as a dentist, he sold his practice to a younger guy. Well, that younger dentist, now in his early 50s has just said he’s retiring as he can’t see a way back into it being a sustainable business. A few other dentists in their 60s have done the same in the area.

I wonder how many other businesses will do the same and just bite the bullet of either early retirement or thinking their business isn’t recoverable and giving up.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

13 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Similar here in St Helens, in terms of car usage anyway but then St Helens yesterday once again had the dubious title of the place with the highest Covid infections in Merseyside, which we seem to swap with Knowsley every few days.

How much are you guys paying for a liter of gas over there?

Just now, ckn said:

An anecdote at best but maybe a sign of the future. When my father-in-law retired as a dentist, he sold his practice to a younger guy. Well, that younger dentist, now in his early 50s has just said he’s retiring as he can’t see a way back into it being a sustainable business. A few other dentists in their 60s have done the same in the area.

I wonder how many other businesses will do the same and just bite the bullet of either early retirement or thinking their business isn’t recoverable and giving up.

NHS practices aren’t really sustainable and haven’t been for years. The deliberate reduction in the contracts for units of work has now achieved its goal I fear - privatised dental care.

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There must be some massive regional variations in this. I know that @Robin Evans has been saying it's close to normal where he is but, honestly, it's all very quiet around here.

I suspect in the London commuter belt there are a lot more people with jobs that can be done from home. 

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

Archived