coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Over 65,000 dead now in the US.

The IHME projection was 68,000 at one point, it's now saying 74,000.  My guess (just eyeballing the graphs) would be 100,000+.

There are also a lot of unexplained deaths (i.e. heart attacks at home, etc) that are not currently counted.  Anecdotally there are significant numbers of these in places like New York.  

They also have big care homes, one in New York reported 98 deaths out of 700 beds.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

An example of how things are not black and white:

This Government billboard is advertising remote walks, which are suitable for social distancing. 

EDCADA82-42E8-463E-B53B-A6471AAAF06B.jpeg

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Aye, once again I'm posting on the wrong bloody thread! :kolobok_biggrin:

It's easy done when there are two threads on essentially the same topic. There is bound to be some crossover and confusion.

Main issue is .. no-one's getting lairy.

• ckn locked this topic
23 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

It's easy done when there are two threads on essentially the same topic. There is bound to be some crossover and confusion.

Main issue is .. no-one's getting lairy.

The problem is that someone will, add to that that many folk (quite probably the largest portion of UK society) are sick to their back teeth of politics and want to get away from it. Some people genuinely do come here to read this thread because it doesn't have either the political or rugby tribalism wrecking it. It's supposed to be a sane space.

I know this because they're the ones who hit "report" and send me messages asking me nicely to keep this bit of the forum politics free. It's the same principle as why we have a cross-code forum, people with that particular set of desires to argue either way on that can go there and pleasure each other out of the sight of civilised folk.

I turn a bit of a blind eye to political posts that are done with good intent and are clearly not tribal as long as they're rare and don't materially set it up to be responded to by someone who will make it tribal.

Please keep the forum as sane as you can make it. As a guide, if you're saying ANYTHING about this government or any other government action then it's political whether it's good news or not. Only if you can truly justify it as genuinely not a political point should you post it on this thread.

Treat this like a pub. This is the lounge where you can bring your family and the bar staff will shoo along the angry old drunks who just can't let people enjoy a pint in peace to the bar next door. The bar is where the angry old drunks can just rant about the world all day out of the sight of civilised folk.

Oh, and 88 posts moved to the politics thread!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• ckn unlocked this topic
18 minutes ago, ckn said:

The problem is that someone will, add to that that many folk (quite probably the largest portion of UK society) are sick to their back teeth of politics and want to get away from it. Some people genuinely do come here to read this thread because it doesn't have either the political or rugby tribalism wrecking it. It's supposed to be a sane space.

etc etc etc etc.

I agree, although sometimes someone may think something is political when its not intended to be. Then again our inner unknown bias may prevent us seeing it.

Anyway keep up the good work... it mustn't be easy but we or more precise myself do appreciate what your doing to try and keep us on the straight and narrow of polite and civilised discussion.

Thanks again...

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I know this because they're the ones who hit "report" and send me messages asking me nicely to keep this bit of the forum politics free. It's the same principle as why we have a cross-code forum, people with that particular set of desires to argue either way on that can go there and pleasure each other out of the sight of civilised folk.

I turn a bit of a blind eye to political posts that are done with good intent and are clearly not tribal as long as they're rare and don't materially set it up to be responded to by someone who will make it tribal.

Please keep the forum as sane as you can make it. As a guide, if you're saying ANYTHING about this government or any other government action then it's political whether it's good news or not. Only if you can truly justify it as genuinely not a political point should you post it on this thread.

Treat this like a pub. This is the lounge where you can bring your family and the bar staff will shoo along the angry old drunks who just can't let people enjoy a pint in peace to the bar next door. The bar is where the angry old drunks can just rant about the world all day out of the sight of civilised folk.

Indeed, and apologies for my part in it, I have little desire to turn everything political, but it is hard to not discuss government performance when the conversation is about test numbers. 

I'll certainly try and be more mindful of it. 

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I have little desire to turn everything political

you could turn a 4 year olds birthday party at jungle jims in to a political debate 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

you could turn a 4 year olds birthday party at jungle jims in to a political debate 

I'm conscious that your reality isn't like most other people's, but to clarify I am not a prolific poster on politics treads here as they are too time consuming. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm conscious that your reality isn't like most other people's, but to clarify I am not a prolific poster on politics treads here as they are too time consuming. 

stop bringing stupid old boring reality up - I don't like it

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's what we get told it is, isn't it?

yep...

and non of us are precise or specific in what we state either... I guess that's why any contracts have long definitions of what a term or word is meant to mean... not what we assume it means.

I mean if I say yep and shaking my head I mean no... but if nodding I mean yep...

The TV mouths-on-a-stick are always banging on about the folly of the Cheltenham racemeeting taking place against warnings of potential Covid-spread by a huge crowd.

I haven't seen any figures about how many attendees caught it there.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

20 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

The TV mouths-on-a-stick are always banging on about the folly of the Cheltenham racemeeting taking place against warnings of potential Covid-spread by a huge crowd.

I haven't seen any figures about how many attendees caught it there.

Death rate of 50 per 100,000 ... in a town known to have a high percentage of ageing residents ... 48% over 65 years old and more dementia patients than Gloucester. You've quoted an organisation also dealing with the at-risk sector.

Cheltenham death rate is lower than South East  Wales and Milton Keynes.

Absolute over-reaction by the Mediamerchants.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

18 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

Death rate of 50 per 100,000 ... in a town known to have a high percentage of ageing residents ... 48% over 65 years old and more dementia patients than Gloucester. You've quoted an organisation also dealing with the at-risk sector.

St Helens has had the worst death rate in Merseyside on numerous occasions and at one time it was, per capita, one of the highest death rates in England.  St Helens is nowhere near Cheltenham but it got a big spike in cases and deaths.  There have been spikes all over the country.  Blaming a particular event makes some people feel sanctimonious but it doesn't mean they are right.

20 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

You do realise that many people going to Cheltenham will be traveling from elsewhere. Thousands come from Ireland alone and cases in Ireland have been traced back to Cheltenham.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

You do realise that many people going to Cheltenham will be traveling from elsewhere. Thousands come from Ireland alone and cases in Ireland have been traced back to Cheltenham.

I'm sure cases in Ireland have been traced back to, er, Ireland as well.  Should Ireland not have been allowed to take place?

On Good Morning Britain Dr Hilary Jones was saying that NHS workers are 12 times more likely to get Covid-19 than anyone else. I always knew the risk was a lot higher but have never seen a figure like that.

11 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Without that gadget, Little Ginger wouldn't be here today.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Damien said:

On Good Morning Britain Dr Hilary Jones was saying that NHS workers are 12 times more likely to get Covid-19 than anyone else. I always knew the risk was a lot higher but have never seen a figure like that.

That's brutal.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived