coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, ckn said:

(Utterly unscientific guesswork) It could be this killer variant is a mutation of a mild but infectious thing.

Report of a study looking at mutations by scientists at the University of Sheffield and Los Alamos National Laboratory, New Mexico, and published openly online here https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8289673/Dominant-version-coronavirus-causing-Europes-outbreak.html  I'll try and find the original report.

Some slightly more positive reporting on mutations on that page too, with a report of a 'weakened' form also being found (similar mutation to that seen before in SARS).

5 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Do you *honestly* think having to put up with a bit of inconvenience for several weeks is tantamount to ‘not living’? We don’t know how this will pan out yet, and several weeks ago we genuinely had no idea how widespread it would be. It would have been an effing scandal if we had just thought ‘eff it, chances are it will be ok’.

I'm having a whale of a time but unfortunately a lot of people aren't. I'm bothered about them and whether the balance was right, and the stats suggest it wasn't.

The eff it point, well actually Sweden did take that approach but they've got a social system I envy so could afford to trust their citizens to be sensible.

There are lies damn lies and statistics....

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-italy-mortality/italys-coronavirus-death-toll-far-higher-than-reported-stats-office-idUKKBN22G1XB

Always a danger in making international comparisons - Spain for example does not include Care Home Deaths and North Korea has 0 Coronavirus cases.

So perhaps our Doctors and Nurses are not doing as bad a job as the MSM imply

Saddest story of the day are all the stories of the old folk who have lost the will to live being denied access to the children and grandchildren while the architect of the lockdown not only seems to think his own rules don't apply to him but also seems to have found a new "model" ??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52553229

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

15 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

I'm having a whale of a time but unfortunately a lot of people aren't. I'm bothered about them and whether the balance was right, and the stats suggest it wasn't.

The eff it point, well actually Sweden did take that approach but they've got a social system I envy so could afford to trust their citizens to be sensible.

Sweden also has a far healthier population. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

and if they are doing that then what else are they doing? like I said for weeks - the lockdown is a badly implemented farce that was never done properly and will end up costing more lives and money - where was boris again at tea time?, losing faith and interest in the whole situation as each day goes

How do you think we should have done our lockdown then?  Like Spain?  Do you honestly think with our approach to policing that the government could have shut us all away without even allowing us out for a walk, having to show the police a piece of paper to prove that our reason for being out was legitimate?  Look how people on here picked and picked at the lockdown we actually had, never mind anything more stringent.  As it is at least two legal actions are being brought for breach of this right or the other.  We've got the lockdown that people will cooperate with.  And there were folk saying we should have locked down earlier.  We can't even cope with the half hearted one we've already got!

47 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Do you *honestly* think having to put up with a bit of inconvenience for several weeks is tantamount to ‘not living’? We don’t know how this will pan out yet, and several weeks ago we genuinely had no idea how widespread it would be. It would have been an effing scandal if we had just thought ‘eff it, chances are it will be ok’.

While I agree with the principle of your post completely, for some people having to stay home is far from simply an inconvenience.  I happen to love the peace and quiet.  But I'm fortunate.  There are so many families and individuals who have circumstances which makes even the relatively mild lockdown we have had a very troubling and lonely experience.

6 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

While I agree with the principle of your post completely, for some people having to stay home is far from simply an inconvenience.  I happen to love the peace and quiet.  But I'm fortunate.  There are so many families and individuals who have circumstances which makes even the relatively mild lockdown we have had a very troubling and lonely experience.

Indeed.

My lockdown has been great. For many it would be very rough. It is a point undermined by people who would not normally care about mental illness or domestic violence feigning concern, but it is genuinely a hard balance to make.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

Yeah I agree and don’t want to dismiss people who are finding it difficult, it can be a bad time and experience for many. 
But I also suspect it’s not the same people jumping into Costa at the drop of a hat who fall into that category. 

Ah yes.  I would agree with that point 100%!

PS:  Has Costa re-opened?

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

In Wakefield one has apparently. 

Oh, I wish you hadn't mentioned it!  We have three of them in St Helens.  If Costa has opened then I can see my own discipline being seriously threatened.  I have so missed my Costa mochas.  ? 

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

We don’t live in Sweden though so it’s completely irrelevant.

Balance? You mean potentially allow people to infect each other? 

Until we know more, it’s wiser to sit tight. And if the poor darlings who can’t wait for a coffee don’t like it, too bad. They can still go for a coffee in a month or two. 

If Covid19  is all you need you worry about I envy you.

Edit - we've been infecting each other for millennia. Covid is not statistically more deadly than other coronavirus derivatives.

20 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Oh, I wish you hadn't mentioned it!  We have three of them in St Helens.  If Costa has opened then I can see my own discipline being seriously threatened.  I have so missed my Costa mochas.  ? 

Well, they're a bit better than Starbucks, at least.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

40 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

If Covid19  is all you need you worry about I envy you.

Edit - we've been infecting each other for millennia. Covid is not statistically more deadly than other coronavirus derivatives.

I'm pretty sure that Covid-19 is more deadly than the 4 common human coronaviruses that are in constant circulation...….

9 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I'm pretty sure that Covid-19 is more deadly than the 4 common human coronaviruses that are in constant circulation...….

Unfortunately that's not proven statistically.

I note Prof Neil Ferguson has quit his job as a government advisor on coronavirus for breaching the lockdown. This is the guy who said we'd have 250,000 deaths, then 100,00 and then 60,000 as the data became clearer and it was his advice that got us into lockdown in the first place. Interesting that he felt it wouldn't affect him and he's the expert. Secondly his shift in predictions is fag packet maths IMO.

Maybe this is a political point but there's some worrying connections between his work at University College London and the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation which funds research on vaccines and similar diseases across the world. The question is whether he was motivated to predict such numbers? Secondly, as an experiment in control the coronavirus pandemic has worked very well because we're doing some crazy stuff when the data was so flimsy. 

Very worrying that we can all be herded so easily because someone with a PhD creates the bogeyman.

From Sarah Vine in the Mail:

According to data released by the NHS, being overweight raises the chances of dying in hospital from the illness by 40 per cent.

Having a body mass index of between 30 and 34 makes a person almost twice as likely to be admitted to ICU as someone with a BMI under 30. For those with a BMI of 35 or more, the likelihood is nearly four times higher.

Yesterday, an NHS report said 67 per cent of men and 60 per cent of women here are overweight or obese.

I knew it. Coronavirus is a manufactured device to allow the Wimp Alliance ... a semi-organsed bunch of vegetarians, vegans, tree-huggers, hand-wringers, Remainers and born-again gym bunnies ... to take over the world.

I'm 66 this month and my BMI is 32. As a natural rebel, I feel duty bound to up my intake of pork pies, cream cakes, ice cream and chips. Then I'm going to annoy the sanctimonious prigs by living for another 10 years; dividing my time between work, family, telly and my mates down the pub. Obviously, I'll make time to help charitable causes ... mainly by telling street beggars that they could always get a job.

??

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

10 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

From Sarah Vine in the Mail:

According to data released by the NHS, being overweight raises the chances of dying in hospital from the illness by 40 per cent.

Having a body mass index of between 30 and 34 makes a person almost twice as likely to be admitted to ICU as someone with a BMI under 30. For those with a BMI of 35 or more, the likelihood is nearly four times higher.

Yesterday, an NHS report said 67 per cent of men and 60 per cent of women here are overweight or obese.

I knew it. Coronavirus is a manufactured device to allow the Wimp Alliance ... a semi-organsed bunch of vegetarians, vegans, tree-huggers, hand-wringers, Remainers and born-again gym bunnies ... to take over the world.

I'm 66 this month and my BMI is 32. As a natural rebel, I feel duty bound to up my intake of pork pies, cream cakes, ice cream and chips. Then I'm going to annoy the sanctimonious prigs by living for another 10 years; dividing my time between work, family, telly and my mates down the pub. Obviously, I'll make time to help charitable causes ... mainly by telling street beggars that they could always get a job.

??

I'm screwed then!!?

1 hour ago, Ackroman said:

I note Prof Neil Ferguson has quit his job as a government advisor on coronavirus for breaching the lockdown. This is the guy who said we'd have 250,000 deaths, then 100,00 and then 60,000 as the data became clearer and it was his advice that got us into lockdown in the first place. Interesting that he felt it wouldn't affect him and he's the expert. Secondly his shift in predictions is fag packet maths IMO.

Maybe this is a political point but there's some worrying connections between his work at University College London and the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation which funds research on vaccines and similar diseases across the world. The question is whether he was motivated to predict such numbers? Secondly, as an experiment in control the coronavirus pandemic has worked very well because we're doing some crazy stuff when the data was so flimsy. 

Very worrying that we can all be herded so easily because someone with a PhD creates the bogeyman.

is he the only one saying put us in lockdown and is he also the advisor to other countries who put citizens into lockdown.

11 minutes ago, redjonn said:

is he the only one saying put us in lockdown and is he also the advisor to other countries who put citizens into lockdown.

Maybe he mainly wanted to put his lover's husband in lockdown.

?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Archived