coronavirus

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I despair of academics and who think an interview is a good place just to test a proposition, a thought experiment if you will ...

Some very clever people don’t have the brains they were born with.

4.6k or so new cases announced today; very consistent at that level or above since the start of Apr. Bold hypothesis from that Professor.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Looks like a standard width road that? Even allowing for compression front to back, I can’t see how the groups across the width of the road are in line with the guidance - and even if they are all from the same house, people see that on the TV and think, “Why not me?”

Unless they are diagonal to each other.  That is hard to establish from this angle.

Isn't a good look on the BBC though.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I despair of academics and who think an interview is a good place just to test a proposition, a thought experiment if you will ...

Typical of Sky to indulge as well.  They like to stir things up on Sky.

13 hours ago, gingerjon said:

If they were not naive, they would not speak to the press. Back when I was in academia, the effort science departments would go to to be clear to the media was painful. They could not comprehend the lack of responsibility or interest in truth that national newspapers had. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Theoretical question time.

Donald Trump's Valet has tested +ve, the VP, Mike Pence's Press Secretary has also tested +ve, what would happen, constitutionally, if both passed the virus to DT & MP respectively & the worst happens, and they BOTH pass away?

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

Donald Trump's Valet has tested +ve, the VP, Mike Pence's Press Secretary has also tested +ve, what would happen, constitutionally, if both passed the virus to DT & MP respectively & the worst happens, and they BOTH pass away?

Keifer Sutherland would take charge ?

*Makes sense if you’ve watched Designated Survivor

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Third in the presidential line of succession is the Speaker of the House of Representatives, currently Nancy Pelosi. The full details are here.

Not quite sure I see the link between "the worst happens" and "they BOTH pass away", by the way.

I went to Sweden yesterday, on business connected to the virus response.

Straight over the border into Sweden, with its open restaurants. A quick check as I returned (I spoke in Danish and was clearly on business), but no check into what my business was. Very straight forward.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

11 secret service agents currently have it too.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Well my sister's fella is making very small steps in the right direction.

From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on his own for 2½ hours...

His trachy I believe is closed and was able to say hello yesterday. His first word since 2/4/20.

I'm naturally a cautious soul. I think he'll make it. I didn't give him a chance of survival 3 weeks ago....

Rehab however, will be a long process

Just now, Robin Evans said:

From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on his own for 2½ hours...

His trachy I believe is closed and was able to say hello yesterday. His first word since 2/4/20.

I'm naturally a cautious soul. I think he'll make it. I didn't give him a chance of survival 3 weeks ago....

That’s great news. Hopefully all continues to go well

10 hours ago, Spidey said:

That’s great news. Hopefully all continues to go well

It's been traumatic for my sister bless her. Her life story is something else....

I thought he was a goner three weeks ago... but a decent consultant persevered and pushed the trachy option.... his hunch, up to now at least, appears to have worked.

Most know what I do. My work is nowt compared to those on that unit.... which is replicated in abundance up and down the country.

Band 5 or 6 nurses on those units just seem underpaid to me given the skill set, academic requirements, attitudinal approach and ability to provide an immediate response in an emergency and co-ordinate that response.....

The CPBL is now allowing very small crowds into their stadiums who then have to follow rigid social distancing rules. This is what it looks like. I hope no one in the middle needs the loo.

image.thumb.png.bec29d7dbdbbc6283c5924305c545fef.png

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

11 secret service agents currently have it too.

25 Us police officers murdered this year so far, 26 have also died of covid.  Apparently first time in a long time that shooting/stabbing of Us law enforcement officers as the major cause of death has as been eclipsed by something else.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

one of those outdoor car washes run and worked by eastern Europeans in full flow near the xscape in cas today, no shortage of customers - no doubt all handling cash each way in payment and giving change, this is on the main road! and I cant sit in the local park without police attention! insanity!!!!

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

one of those outdoor car washes run and worked by eastern Europeans in full flow near the xscape in cas today, no shortage of customers - no doubt all handling cash each way in payment and giving change, this is on the main road! and I cant sit in the local park without police attention! insanity!!!!

Having a clean car prevents CAR owner virus

is it really an essential journey to get in your car and go to one of these car washes, hand over a ten pound note, get back 4 pound coins that have been handled by the guy who takes the money and the previous customer at least?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Not sure if this refers to the demonstration against lockdown posted on here a few days ago? From BBC Live

The protesters who gathered in central London were emotional. Many were angry and distrustful of the police, government and media - although most were polite when I spoke to them.

They had placards and leaflets detailing a wide range of conspiracy theories - their targets included 5G technology, Bill Gates and vaccinations. Some clustered in front of our camera and joined arms in defiance of social distancing.

Small groups of up to 40 or 50 people gathered at various points in the capital in the morning.

Our team saw arrests in St James’s Park, near the Accident and Emergency department of St Thomas’ Hospital, and outside the Houses of Parliament. The Metropolitan Police reported 14 arrests.

A police statement said: “Despite repeated attempts by officers to engage with the group, explain the current restrictions and encourage them to go home a number refused to leave.”

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

What’s the difference between NHS England and Public Health England?

NHS England is not the NHS in England, it’s effectively the head of the commissioning side that “buys” care in from hospitals, GPs, dentists, pharmacists and so on. It is not a provider of care but it does set the agenda and strategy. Its power over the providers mentioned comes overwhelmingly from it controlling the money. Most hospital Trusts are legally separate organisations.

PHE was moved into local authorities to give a separation from the NHS and hopefully provide a voice for local areas and also at a national level. It drives the health and safety agenda and is technically in control of coordinating public health emergencies. Again, a commissioning body, not a provider of care or services.

Both have faults, especially that they’re often so far from the provision of care that they have no clue about how things really work. They tend to make one-size-fits-all policies for everyone from the wealthiest to poorest areas, and then have endless meetings about why health inequalities still keep rising. NHSE is learning though, it invites folk like me in to rip apart their documents occasionally these days.

In an ideal world, the blockers and incompetents would be being noted down for rapid retirement or “managing out” rolling some truly imbecilic decisions. In the real world, they’ll all gather round and protect each other like a modern day Masonic Lodge for fornication-wits.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

7 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Excellent news.  I hope the progress continues.  

Archived