coronavirus

3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

one of those outdoor car washes run and worked by eastern Europeans in full flow near the xscape in cas today, no shortage of customers - no doubt all handling cash each way in payment and giving change, this is on the main road! and I cant sit in the local park without police attention! insanity!!!!

I noticed our local outdoor car wash run and worked by eastern Europeans was also open today.  Good day for washing your car but I wouldn't be asking for change!

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

is it really an essential journey to get in your car and go to one of these car washes, hand over a ten pound note, get back 4 pound coins that have been handled by the guy who takes the money and the previous customer at least?

So long as the car owner leaves the coins somewhere for a few days and promptly washes their hands well when they get back home (making sure to clean car keys/car door, etc on the way) without touching their face then they should be ok. ? 

50 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not sure if this refers to the demonstration against lockdown posted on here a few days ago? From BBC Live

The protesters who gathered in central London were emotional. Many were angry and distrustful of the police, government and media - although most were polite when I spoke to them.

They had placards and leaflets detailing a wide range of conspiracy theories - their targets included 5G technology, Bill Gates and vaccinations. Some clustered in front of our camera and joined arms in defiance of social distancing.

Small groups of up to 40 or 50 people gathered at various points in the capital in the morning.

Our team saw arrests in St James’s Park, near the Accident and Emergency department of St Thomas’ Hospital, and outside the Houses of Parliament. The Metropolitan Police reported 14 arrests.

A police statement said: “Despite repeated attempts by officers to engage with the group, explain the current restrictions and encourage them to go home a number refused to leave.”

There was another protest today so maybe this refers to that.

About those holidays -

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/09/over-60s-warned-may-not-able-holiday-overseas-year/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_androidshare_AvSTPW7fRFWt

Coronavirus could curtail the holiday plans of the over-60s for a year, experts warned, after travel insurers changed the wording of policies to exclude it.

Many firms stopped selling travel insurance in March as the pandemic took hold. The policies are now being reintroduced but with changed wording that specifically excludes claims relating to Covid-19 as it is now a "known event".

This means that, despite travel agents reporting demand for holidays in 2021, any trips booked now are unlikely to be covered by insurance if the holidaymaker changes their mind.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

From the Staysure website: Please note that if you bought your policy after 15 March 2020, we can’t cover you for any claims either directly or indirectly related to COVID-19.

For a lot of people, that would mean no overseas holiday until vaccination.  Would you travel and risk it?  Can you imagine the bill in the USA?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Potentially worrying:

A mysterious illness believed to be linked to Covid-19 has killed three children in New York state, Governor Andrew Cuomo said.

The governor described the illness as a “new” syndrome that caused inflammation of blood vessels, leading to possible heart problems.

Cuomo said health authorities were reviewing 73 similar cases of children across the state.

Many of the children did not display symptoms commonly associated with Covid-19 but later tested positive for the disease or the antibodies it produces.

The three deaths may indicate the virus poses a more severe risk to young people than previously thought, Cuomo said.

9 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Would you travel and risk it?  

Depends.... the numbers would have to be drastically reduced ....

But, if I could go to rural france, stay out of the crowds.... keep a lot of distance away from others....  I'd still give it some consideration....

20 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Potentially worrying:

A mysterious illness believed to be linked to Covid-19 has killed three children in New York state, Governor Andrew Cuomo said.

The governor described the illness as a “new” syndrome that caused inflammation of blood vessels, leading to possible heart problems.

Cuomo said health authorities were reviewing 73 similar cases of children across the state.

Many of the children did not display symptoms commonly associated with Covid-19 but later tested positive for the disease or the antibodies it produces.

The three deaths may indicate the virus poses a more severe risk to young people than previously thought, Cuomo said.

That was reported on over here a couple of weeks back.  It's a very rare condition and as reported by our scientists at one of the press conferences, the link to Covid has yet to be firmly established.  It's appeared in the UK and the US but I don't think anywhere else.

Just now, Robin Evans said:

But, if I could go to rural france, stay out of the crowds.... keep a lot of distance away from others....  I'd still give it some consideration....

Given what's likely to happen with the guff coming out of those supposedly leading us through and out of this, I doubt (m)any countries will be letting Brits in for some time.....

Just now, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Given what's likely to happen with the guff coming out of those supposedly leading us through and out of this, I doubt (m)any countries will be letting Brits in for some time.....

Oh I agree. You are correct. The govt handling of the pandemic and the behavioural and psychological nature of a good proportion of the british public suggests our numbers will remain high for a while and opportunities for travel very limited.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

How would you get to France avoiding the crowds? Ferry & Eurostar would somehow have to work in a social distancing manner?

3 minutes ago, LeeF said:

How would you get to France avoiding the crowds? Ferry & Eurostar would somehow have to work in a social distancing manner?

I'd do the tunnel and not get out of my car other than to show my passport...

Its doable. The ferries are off limits until the virus infections are approaching zero

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Oh I agree. You are correct. The govt handling of the pandemic and the behavioural and psychological nature of a good proportion of the british public suggests our numbers will remain high for a while and opportunities for travel very limited.

Especially as most other countries are in some form of lockdown, something people seem to have forgotten. 

2 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Serious question.

Why would you? The scenery is no better than here. The weather in Northern France is similar to here, yes the weather is nicer in S. France but it can be nice here too without it being overwhelming.

What I like about France is the food and general ambience which is all about mingling with the French in restaurants, bars and markets. For me, if I could not do that I would rather stay at home,

Am I missing something here? 

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Just now, JohnM said:

Especially as most other countries are in some form of lockdown, something people seem to have forgotten. 

Of course they are.... I was giving a hypothetical response.... I thought that was a given

I can't see.me being allowed off the ramp at Calais anytime soon

1 minute ago, Bearman said:

Serious question.

Why would you? The scenery is no better than here. The weather in Northern France is similar to here, yes the weather is nicer in S. France but it can be nice here too without it being overwhelming.

What I like about France is the food and general ambience which is all about mingling with the French in restaurants, bars and markets. For me, if I could not do that I would rather stay at home,

Am I missing something here? 

Yes.... those are what I've enjoyed about france for the last 40 years.

Where we tend to gravitate to in spring (our wedding anniversary is 30th may), is the Loire valley.

There is a campsite we've used for nearly 30 years right in the middle of nowhere. Surrounded by wildlife, vines and agriculture. We adore it. It is very relaxing.

Yes I'd miss the markets at amboise and blois, having an ice cream at chambourd and a coffee and croissant en terrasse in town.

BUT, I'd still enjoy a walk around the vines in wide open spaces bird watching and looking for wildlife. I'd still enjoy the solitude of a stroll along the loire and I'd still enjoy the peace and quiet of the campsites wonderful location as long as L'eclerc or intermarché are open and johnny gauloise is in his cabin across from us and can chat from across the road.

The memsahib and myself are quite happy in those circumstances.?

I'm trying to avoid a topic drift.

The french govt are very hesitant at opening up their tourist industry anytime soon. Spanish and Italians are similarly reluctant but their economies are so central to their functionality there will be pressure to try and salvage something of the summer.

Me? I've written this year off and hope I can make my ruby wedding anniversary in the Loire....even that isn't assured by any means

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

My holiday is scheduled for August and to be honest I'm just hoping it is all cancelled now. I just don't fancy travelling at that time, even though it is still 3 months away.

We're due to go in September, however Id be more than happy to take the money and leave it for this year.

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm trying to avoid a topic drift.

The french govt are very hesitant at opening up their tourist industry anytime soon. Spanish and Italians are similarly reluctant but their economies are so central to their functionality there will be pressure to try and salvage something of the summer.

Me? I've written this year off and hope I can make my ruby wedding anniversary in the Loire....even that isn't assured by any means

If those countries open up and millions of people visit from the world over it could be pretty disastrous for not just those countries but also the one the people are coming from.

Archived