coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Its alreight folks.... just fly ryanair and tell the govt to go balls with their quarantine..... you'll be reight....

"Queuing for toilets on board will be prohibited ..."

So make sure you don't have too many in the terminal bar that will be shut anyway before you get on board (wearing your mandatory face covering).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

"Queuing for toilets on board will be prohibited ..."

So make sure you don't have too many in the terminal bar that will be shut anyway before you get on board (wearing your mandatory face covering).

I thought the ryanair ceo was quite irresponsible but it's the kind of thing I've come to expect from that airline.

1 minute ago, Robin Evans said:

I thought the ryanair ceo was quite irresponsible but it's the kind of thing I've come to expect from that airline.

A cynic might suggest it's being done so they can get booking from people who have hopes that the easing in England will be matched by easing everywhere (and won't know otherwise) and that by July it will pretty much be the same as it always was, really. And come flight time, unless you have some magic insurance that lets you cancel because you need to spend two weeks in self isolation at both ends of your one week holiday, you'll be lucky to even get a voucher refund from them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Disgraceful I thought from O'Leary - to be expected though

Ignore quarantine, social distancing and anything the Govt advises. Every seat will be sold. Ryanair branded facemasks the only ones allowed (wonder how much they will cost).

Gives us your money and if the flights can't go ahead you won't get a refund

He thinks all families are ready to rush to Spain, Italy and France come July. Research by Simon Calder (who I'd trust a million times more) suggests passengers are extremely wary of travelling abroad and will be staying at home

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Ordinarily I'd be on the ferry to france in an instant.

P&O cut 1,100 jobs yesterday.

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Wow...... that's severe.

I'll reply here but there's a political edge so further discussion should move ...

If you remember, the ferry companies were asking for government finance to keep going owing to their importance in our infrastructure (despite being registered abroad etc etc). Looks like they didn't get it.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-p-o-ferries-to-cut-1-100-jobs-to-enable-viable-future-11986659

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

That’s only 9 days ?

Ha ha.  I have read the bit in the Guardian rolling news thingy which mentioned the quarantine in Spain and I still can't fully understand it.  First paragraph says that Spain will be introducing a two week quarantine period from 15 May.  In he final paragraph it says there will be a two week quarantine period from 15-24 May.  So at some point in May Spain is introducing a quarantine period for international travellers arriving in Spain for a period of something for I don't know how long. ? 

6 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Sounds pretty fast to me, given their situation only a few weeks ago and their health service couldn’t cope. It’s a dangerous risk they’re taking IMO

It's also being done in a particularly, "Don't blame us" way from the central government (it looks like to this outsider.)

Up until now, following the initial disaster, there's been coordinated rules from central government. Now, they're giving 'power back to the regions' - i.e. the same set-up that's doing so well in the USA.

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

Disgraceful I thought from O'Leary - to be expected though

Ignore quarantine, social distancing and anything the Govt advises. Every seat will be sold. Ryanair branded facemasks the only ones allowed (wonder how much they will cost).

Gives us your money and if the flights can't go ahead you won't get a refund

He thinks all families are ready to rush to Spain, Italy and France come July. Research by Simon Calder (who I'd trust a million times more) suggests passengers are extremely wary of travelling abroad and will be staying at home

The same Simon Calder who yesterday was explaining how to avoid the quarantine by flying into Paris and then getting on a train , so essentially providing more chance to infect more people ?

8 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Wuhan. 6 new cases over the weekend. 

Source BBC. 

Here we go again?

This is the trouble with travel and people moving about. A place can be cleared but all it takes is an infected person to go there and it starts up again. Until the world as a whole gets a grip on the situation its hard not imagine that this will keep happening.

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is it fair to say that foreign travel will become the preserve of the rich again before the crisis is over?

Its hard to see any industry that requires people to congregate having much of an immediate future sad to say.

Blackpool here we come!  Oh hang on...

We've still got our booking for Crete in September. Can't see us going but I'll keep it there as a bit of hope.

Confirmed from our insurers that as it stands they'd cover the deposit we paid even if BA refuse to give a refund. So, no pressure at all to cancel, we'll leave it and hope for a bit of a miracle in this fizzling out.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

The same Simon Calder who yesterday was explaining how to avoid the quarantine by flying into Paris and then getting on a train , so essentially providing more chance to infect more people ?

His tweets weren't about avoiding quarantine, more about how many holes there were in the quarantine plans i.e one said if you were abroad then get on a plane asap back to the UK, or just wait and then get on a train as they don't seem to have the same rules

29 minutes ago, ckn said:

We've still got our booking for Crete in September. Can't see us going but I'll keep it there as a bit of hope.

Confirmed from our insurers that as it stands they'd cover the deposit we paid even if BA refuse to give a refund. So, no pressure at all to cancel, we'll leave it and hope for a bit of a miracle in this fizzling out.

Looking on the bright side camping will make a comeback as that seems fairly self contained!

I’m in a similar position to you re: a mini British cruise including Scotland and Ireland that was going to be combined with West Coast series of train trips in Scotland.

It looks sadly like none of it will take place (only the cruise deposit had been paid for).

Restaurants and cafes in Canberra will be permitted to have up to 10 sit down diners from this weekend.

Many restaurants and cafes here have offered takeaway and home delivery during the shutdown. I’m not sure 10 sit down diners will be very helpful to many of them.

We now have no known active cases in the city.

Archived