coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Copa said:

Restaurants and cafes in Canberra will be permitted to have up to 10 sit down diners from this weekend.

Many restaurants and cafes here have offered takeaway and home delivery during the shutdown. I’m not sure 10 sit down diners will be very helpful to many of them.

We now have no known active cases in the city.

Canberra is a sterile city anyway. Dullest Capital I have ever visited. It made Stevenage look vibrant.

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

His tweets weren't about avoiding quarantine, more about how many holes there were in the quarantine plans i.e one said if you were abroad then get on a plane asap back to the UK, or just wait and then get on a train as they don't seem to have the same rules

It was his interview on the BBC I was referring to , I like the guy , very good advice about travel , it just seemed to me he didn't realise exactly what he was doing , telling people how to ' get round ' a public health initiative in the middle of a global pandemic ?

4 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Canberra is a sterile city anyway. Dullest Capital I have ever visited. It made Stevenage look vibrant.

It’s changed quite a lot during my time here. It’s much better now. Those early years for me here had me really wondering what I was doing here. The population has since grown around 35 to 40% over a short period and there’s probably over 40,000 university students now also..

38 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

For anyone thinking they'll get away this summer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52632976

Greece have a different idea for our tourists.

Looks like my Crete holiday may technically still be on but whether we go is an entirely different thing.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

Greece have a different idea for our tourists.

Looks like my Crete holiday may technically still be on but whether we go is an entirely different thing.

I know for me personally this is where I need the Government to make a concrete call so I have some chance of getting my money back from Easyjet, the Hotel that I booked and/or travel insurance. 

11 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Speak to TonyXIII before travelling though. Rethymno Pink.

I have, and that fine chap has given lots of helpful advice!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, Hullfan said:

Government won't allow holidays this summer but will encourage people to stay in UK and have breaks to boost the economy. No brainer

There's only limited capacity in the UK for holidays and they're usually booked up for the entire summer holiday period, or if they're available then you're paying about the same for a ratty lodge just off a midlands business park as you would for a really nice European holiday. If the market is entirely captive then you're relying on those places to not implement truly textbook supply/demand pricing and gouge the market.

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

There's only limited capacity in the UK for holidays and they're usually booked up for the entire summer holiday period, or if they're available then you're paying about the same for a ratty lodge just off a midlands business park as you would for a really nice European holiday. If the market is entirely captive then you're relying on those places to not implement truly textbook supply/demand pricing and gouge the market.

A much better idea is to spend the money on your house , specifically your conservatory roof and some composite decking ?

I do YouGov surveys and sometimes they ask demographic and lifestyle questions at the end to make sure they can properly target their surveys, here was one of their questions on today's:

image.png

I'm sure they're trolling me.

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

I do YouGov surveys and sometimes they ask demographic and lifestyle questions at the end to make sure they can properly target their surveys, here was one of their questions on today's:

image.png

I had a *week* of similar in *half hour* increments because via a well-known market research company I agreed, in exchange for some Amazon vouchers, to keep a record of where I was, who I was talking to and how, and what I was interacting with. They told you when to download the app and which week to do it.

Mine was in the second week after the lockdown. So every half hour: "Where are you?" Ten lovely options to scroll through before, "In my own home."

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

This is because you are sociable animals, and miss going down the pub more than us naturalised Southerners feel the need for coffee relations in a Pret a Manger, or Costa.

You feel the need to queue for an hour for a Greggs Steak Bake, we get annoyed if we get lost in IKEA.

56 minutes ago, ckn said:

Just for my clarification...

The map is not the levels of the virus/infections in a region.

The map is a % level of numbers of frail patients (of course of higher risk)

Is that correct...

9 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Just for my clarification...

The map is not the levels of the virus/infections in a region.

The map is a % level of numbers of frail patients (of course of higher risk)

Is that correct...

The article is about new hospital admissions per 100,000 population. NW England significantly higher than other areas of England.

Just now, ckn said:

No, it's new hospital admissions per 100,000 population. NW England significantly higher than other areas of England.

Yep.  That's been the case for a couple of weeks now, which is a bit worrying for those of us living here and I can fully understand why the government's direction that everyone can travel to the Lakes is giving the people living in the Lakes collective heart failure.  That is the one part of the slight release this week that I totally disagree with and think is a big mistake.

21 minutes ago, ckn said:

The article is about new hospital admissions per 100,000 population. NW England significantly higher than other areas of England.

yes the article but the tweet you reproduced showed the map and hence the question regarding the map

The map shading is showing the percentage of patients that are frail, as between 3.9 to 6.0% for the darkest reddish colour. 

I think

My gardener returns to work in a very socially distanced way next week.... thank any faith of choice for that!

My window cleaner is doing the same.

Sadly my ironing lady is still locked down..... and the ironing basket is bigger than les tonks!

No pubs, but I am getting deliveries of good ale.... 

Some things are returning to normal...

3 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

My gardener returns to work in a very socially distanced way next week.... thank any faith of choice for that!

My window cleaner is doing the same.

Sadly my ironing lady is still locked down..... and the ironing basket is bigger than les tonks!

No pubs, but I am getting deliveries of good ale.... 

Some things are returning to normal...

What about your chauffeur , valet and cook??

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

What about your chauffeur , valet and cook??

Those are my roles!!!

Ironing.... life is just too short. I miss Julie the most.

Gardening, I hate it and haven't got the patience.... and its helping a lad starting up on his own.... 

Regardless of the NW having more new cases per 100,000 of the population , it was on our local news last night that over 100 fines were handed out in the Lake District over the Week End and people turned round by the Police from as far away as London and Essex .

2 hours ago, ckn said:

image.png

I got my April google maps update which didn't hesitate to point out my that my travel highlights was Tesco.

Archived