coronavirus

15 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Regardless of the NW having more new cases per 100,000 of the population , it was on our local news last night that over 100 fines were handed out in the Lake District over the Week End and people turned round by the Police from as far away as London and Essex .

That was before folk were permitted to travel, so I wonder how many visitors will be going from tomorrow...…. Personally I'd love to be one of them but I suspect it'll be a while before I am.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

Regardless of the NW having more new cases per 100,000 of the population , it was on our local news last night that over 100 fines were handed out in the Lake District over the Week End and people turned round by the Police from as far away as London and Essex .

How does that compare to previous weekends during lockdown?

For example, both Manchester and Liverpool police have had to deal with multiple house parties every weekend during the lockdown - one weekend Manchester police broke up 40 of them and one repeatedly, finally arresting the woman who held the house party.  Just last weekend I think it was in Liverpool (but may have been Manchester) there was a big fight at one of the house parties so not exactly social distancing.

On the one hand, we couldn't have had worse timing for this pandemic to hit us.  First of all it all kicked off with the February half term and then when we locked down the weather was stunning almost the whole time.  It's been agony not being able to visit places (even locally) when the sun was shining, simply because it so rarely does at this time of year.

I suppose what we need now is a few wet weekends to discourage those who don't care from travelling to our national parks!

23 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

That was before folk were permitted to travel, so I wonder how many visitors will be going from tomorrow...…. Personally I'd love to be one of them but I suspect it'll be a while before I am.

You won't catch me going anywhere like that until we're definitely out of the woods (relatively speaking obvs since this virus isn't going anywhere quickly).  I'm sure there will be plenty of people who think like me and you.  Sadly, there will be plenty of people who won't as well, and won't care.  But then there have been those people all along.

12 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

You won't catch me going anywhere like that until we're definitely out of the woods (relatively speaking obvs since this virus isn't going anywhere quickly).  I'm sure there will be plenty of people who think like me and you.  Sadly, there will be plenty of people who won't as well, and won't care.  But then there have been those people all along.

Personally,  I think it would be bloody ridiculous to put yourself and every other soul at risk by driving to the lakes, peak district, the coast etc.... risk is way too high....

But.... you know full well we are not short of numpties in this country....

Locally, here in Rovrum,  I think it would have more credence to you actually instructed people to go there. The default would be do the bloody opposite.

7 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

But.... your know full well we are not short of numpties in this country....

Oh yes , we’ve had people come up to “ feed the ducks “ and because they were bored 

5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Personally,  I think it would be bloody ridiculous to put yourself and every other soul at risk by driving to the lakes, peak district, the coast etc.... risk is way too high....

But.... your know full well we are not short of numpties in this country....

Locally, here in Rovrum,  I think it would have more credence to you actually instructed people to go there. The default would be do the bloody opposite.

My common sense tells me I'd be absolutely fine to go to the Lakes - I've been many times before, never had an accident in the hills in over 40 years, so given there'll be less traffic and fewer folk about why should it be different? In fact it would probably be safer. However, I won't be going for some considerable time yet because I've done a Risk Assessment ?

49 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

All local chippys now open. Most other take always are. Some local boozers have opened and been collared. 

Most local shops starting to reopen in some form or other.

Shops shouldn't be opening at all unless they one of the named essential shops.  They were specifically ordered to close.  Your council should be shutting them down.

Chip shops have always been free to operate as they sell food.  Take-aways have always been fine.

Here in Sintellins it's been the same today as the previous 7 weeks or however long its been (days have merged of late …).  I was so pleased to learn today that Whiston Hospital has experienced no deaths today or yesterday, although that may change of course, and there were no additional cases recorded today for the first time since the virus arrived in town.  That may change too of course, especially if the numpties wake up tomorrow morning and ignore social distancing.  I'm not changing my routine at all.

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

My common sense tells me I'd be absolutely fine to go to the Lakes - I've been many times before, never had an accident in the hills in over 40 years, so given there'll be less traffic and fewer folk about why should it be different? In fact it would probably be safer. However, I won't be going for some considerable time yet because I've done a Risk Assessment ?

These days I would think it's not so much the pressure on the emergency services as spreading the virus, especially in Cumbria which has been particularly hard hit per 100,000 population.  I think that's what folk there are now more scared of.

i think people are in for a shock in the morning at just how many people will be off, lakes,blackpool,grosmont.buxton, you see how many mingle as thou its all over, its already happening here today,:kolobok_punish:had love to be off to trenchers in whitby for dinner,but i will wait until its over.

3 hours ago, Saintslass said:

How does that compare to previous weekends during lockdown?

For example, both Manchester and Liverpool police have had to deal with multiple house parties every weekend during the lockdown - one weekend Manchester police broke up 40 of them and one repeatedly, finally arresting the woman who held the house party.  Just last weekend I think it was in Liverpool (but may have been Manchester) there was a big fight at one of the house parties so not exactly social distancing.

On the one hand, we couldn't have had worse timing for this pandemic to hit us.  First of all it all kicked off with the February half term and then when we locked down the weather was stunning almost the whole time.  It's been agony not being able to visit places (even locally) when the sun was shining, simply because it so rarely does at this time of year.

I suppose what we need now is a few wet weekends to discourage those who don't care from travelling to our national parks!

Cumbria Police reported that they gave out more tickets last weekend, than they did the previous 8 weeks

Now, whether they were a bit more 'purposeful' because of the newspaper pointers a few days earlier, or they had some that were on previous warnings I wouldn't know. They nabbed the same car twice in 15 mins after they advised it to turn back to where it came from, then the 2nd incident then became a fine. Not the first I've seen of repeat visits or travel to pick up a dog

Personal responsibility. Just because you are allowed to do something, it does not mean that you must or should. We will not put ourselves or anyone else at risk so will continue lockdown.  When we see cases at a really low level, then maybe we'll emerge. 

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

This will be the thoughts of many

However, there are no tourist attractions open. No boats on the Lakes. No campsites, B&B or hotels. All the cafes, restaurants and bars also closed. Most of the main car parks have been cordoned off with concrete blocks, tyres and logs. All loos are also closed 

If any visit, then they are going to be stuck to park up unless they know the little nooks and crannies are, where they can park and walk

However, I can see a number of the 2nd home brigade arriving in the Lakes, Dales, Devon, Cornwall, Wales etc

I read a good suggestion on Twitter - travel for a walk or exercise, but stay in your own county. That way you know your own area, paths, etc as well 

10 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

However, there are no tourist attractions open. No boats on the Lakes. No campsites, B&B or hotels. All the cafes, restaurants and bars also closed. Most of the main car parks have been cordoned off with concrete blocks, tyres and logs. All loos are also closed 

If any visit, then they are going to be stuck to park up unless they know the little nooks and crannies are, where they can park and walk

However, I can see a number of the 2nd home brigade arriving in the Lakes, Dales, Devon, Cornwall, Wales etc

I read a good suggestion on Twitter - travel for a walk or exercise, but stay in your own county. That way you know your own area, paths, etc as well 

I really hope folk don't travel but I think they will. At least the current weather forecast for the weekend isn't fantastic at the moment (for Keswick at least).

13 hours ago, shaun mc said:

There’ll be hell to pay if the govt gets this wrong . It’s a huge fear that it could all spike again ... people go back to work on busy crowded public transport , sometimes when your there distancing is incredibly difficult ... the virus is spread and carried into homes and communities.

And then of course Boris says you can drive anywhere you like so half term , weekends , bank holiday people pile into cars and go all over the place , including the Lakes and Cumbria where we’ve took a battering already . Plans drawn up in Whitehall look so good and straightforward - and then there’s the real world

22 minutes ago, DavidM said:

There’ll be hell to pay if the govt gets this wrong . It’s a huge fear that it could all spike again ... people go back to work on busy crowded public transport , sometimes when your there distancing is incredibly difficult ... the virus is spread and carried into homes and communities.

And then of course Boris says you can drive anywhere you like so half term , weekends , bank holiday people pile into cars and go all over the place , including the Lakes and Cumbria where we’ve took a battering already . Plans drawn up in Whitehall look so good and straightforward - and then there’s the real world

Without getting political will it be the Government or the public’s fault if they get it wrong? Common sense required that’s all although the sheer number of people who seem to be lacking in that at even a basic level is astonishing 

13 hours ago, JohnM said:

Personal responsibility. Just because you are allowed to do something, it does not mean that you must or should. We will not put ourselves or anyone else at risk so will continue lockdown.  When we see cases at a really low level, then maybe we'll emerge. 

Exactly

13 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Cumbria Police reported that they gave out more tickets last weekend, than they did the previous 8 weeks

Now, whether they were a bit more 'purposeful' because of the newspaper pointers a few days earlier, or they had some that were on previous warnings I wouldn't know. They nabbed the same car twice in 15 mins after they advised it to turn back to where it came from, then the 2nd incident then became a fine. Not the first I've seen of repeat visits or travel to pick up a dog

The Cumbria Roads Police twitter account is well worth a read/ follow. The local taxi firms certainly got some business from the police last weekend

I reckon this is apolitical, but if not , please move it.

Really interesting long article in the New York Times sent to me by a French scientist contact whose only weakness is a liking for Man U. 

When diagnosing the ills afflicting modern science, an entertainment that, along with the disparagement of his critics and fellow researchers, he counts among his great delights, the eminent French microbiologist Didier Raoult will lightly stroke his beard, lean back in his seat and, with a thin but ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/magazine/didier-raoult-hydroxychloroquine.html

Lockdown release points that we will consider.

1. When our health centre returns to (the new) normal

2. When hairdressers,  pubs, caravan sites open.

3. When infections, admissions, deaths and other stats are much reduced and stable 

4. But not before early June in any case as it could take 3 weeks to determine if the lockdown easing has had any effect.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I reckon this is apolitical, but if not , please move it.

Really interesting long article in the New York Times sent to me by a French scientist contact whose only weakness is a liking for Man U. 

When diagnosing the ills afflicting modern science, an entertainment that, along with the disparagement of his critics and fellow researchers, he counts among his great delights, the eminent French microbiologist Didier Raoult will lightly stroke his beard, lean back in his seat and, with a thin but ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/magazine/didier-raoult-hydroxychloroquine.html

He seems like a guy who loves to shout 'it's common sense'....

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived