coronavirus

2 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Yay, I can move house.

I got new neighbours 3 weeks ago (they're also likely to push someone who was uming and ahing about moving into doing so once lockdown is done with!). I assume it was never an issue as long as the people behind the scenes were still working?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Here’s one for you.

End of March/early April I was sick with what I considered to be C19 (virtually all the symptoms but without test, impossible to say) I wasn’t right for about 3 weeks after that and lost my taste and smell. The thing is, I seem to have developed an ability to eat very spicy food without knowing it. Example, I had a pizza at work the other night that is very hot (hot shot....clues in the name) and it only struck me when talking about stuff the other night that I ate it without barely a flicker. I’ve had the same pizza before and struggled with the spice. 

Just sayin....

Did you notice it the following morning?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Not at all. It was only the other night while eating a curry that my Mrs said ‘this is hot’ that I realised I was barely registering any heat. I wasn’t a total spice wuss before but might struggle with a vindaloo for example. It will probably be temporary 

Could be a good way to check if you've had it until a quick antibody test comes along. "Just take a bite of this Carolina Reaper Mr Sidestep..." ?

One thing (of many) things I did not know was that men are more ACE2 receptors than women. That might explain the great suseptability to the disease.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

It's been reported in a few places that Covid-19 is often accompanied by a loss of smell and taste, which seems to be temporary. So I'd say that Johnoco has almost certainly had a brush with the virus.

Not sure if this has been posted here already, but if not a reminder can't do any harm. If you have a reasonably powerful computer and are willing to use some of its processing power to help model proteins, currently focusing on SARS-CoV-2, then you might consider joining Stanford University's Folding@home project:

https://foldingathome.org/start-folding/

It works in the background on idle processors so won't affect any work that you're doing.

3 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Any idea if that was the case for SARS too?

Yes. It is.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

One thing (of many) things I did not know was that men are more ACE2 receptors than women. That might explain the great suseptability to the disease.

Goes and googles ACE2 receptors..... It does certainly seem like a possible reason given the nature of the virus.

56 minutes ago, ckn said:

Some local info for those living up that way

It's all very localised.  St Helens has been covid death free for three days (and we were tested case free the day before yesterday although apparently there were six new cases in the last 24 hours) but Wigan and Warrington both have had around four deaths each in the last 24 hours.  

3 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Here’s one for you.

End of March/early April I was sick with what I considered to be C19 (virtually all the symptoms but without test, impossible to say) I wasn’t right for about 3 weeks after that and lost my taste and smell. The thing is, I seem to have developed an ability to eat very spicy food without knowing it. Example, I had a pizza at work the other night that is very hot (hot shot....clues in the name) and it only struck me when talking about stuff the other night that I ate it without barely a flicker. I’ve had the same pizza before and struggled with the spice. 

Just sayin....

You sir have just become a superhero spice man we salute you. 

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Having had summer jobs as an ice cream man, a van is one of the last places I'd consider getting anything edible from normally, never mind in the current situation.

Them old commer mr softee vans were a pig to drive,and red hot with ford pop engine in the back running on tvo,I had 2 whippy vans in the 80s 90s in hemsworth ackworth area,The modern soft van picks up the air from the outside vent just under the serving area were customers are stood on most vans,so goes direct to the capigani machine and then in turn end up in the fluffy 99.i dare say an hard van would be ok if the vendor cleans everything regular away, But defo beware any soft fluffy stuff.

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Looks like the summer's here - ice cream man's round...

time to tell the kids- "when the ice cream man is playing those tunes it means the van is empty "

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

6 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Not at all. It was only the other night while eating a curry that my Mrs said ‘this is hot’ that I realised I was barely registering any heat. I wasn’t a total spice wuss before but might struggle with a vindaloo for example. It will probably be temporary 

My son had several of the symptoms of Covid 19 a few weeks back. Complete loss of sense of taste and smell being one of them. His girlfriend thought it would be a great test if he ate a teaspoon of Colman's English Mustard in one go. It never touched him.

In his case it was definitely temporary and his sense of taste and smell returned to normal fairly quickly.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I have just watched a fascinating interview on the BBC with a Prof from the London School of Tropical Medicine who has headed up a team in Italy which has been testing the population of the village where the first death from Covid took place (and they believe the first case arrived in Italy in early January). The team tested 71% of the population with swab tests as the virus was progressing through the village followed up with antibody testing.  Their results are showing that those who were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms did not produce antibodies (as there was no tissue injury) but those with the serious form of the disease did.  They are of the belief (I can't remember how sure of that belief they are) that there is a percentage of the population which has a natural immunity to the disease (the asymptomatics and those with mild symptoms) and they are exploring whether there is a genetic factor at play.  They do not yet know whether this apparent natural immunity would stop people from becoming infected a second time (I doubt any country wants to explore that possibility).

Did anyone else see the interview?  My language is not exactly scientific but hopefully I communicated the gist of it. 

7 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I have just watched a fascinating interview on the BBC with a Prof from the London School of Tropical Medicine who has headed up a team in Italy which has been testing the population of the village where the first death from Covid took place (and they believe the first case arrived in Italy in early January). The team tested 71% of the population with swab tests as the virus was progressing through the village followed up with antibody testing.  Their results are showing that those who were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms did not produce antibodies (as there was no tissue injury) but those with the serious form of the disease did.  They are of the belief (I can't remember how sure of that belief they are) that there is a percentage of the population which has a natural immunity to the disease (the asymptomatics and those with mild symptoms) and they are exploring whether there is a genetic factor at play.  They do not yet know whether this apparent natural immunity would stop people from becoming infected a second time (I doubt any country wants to explore that possibility).

Did anyone else see the interview?  My language is not exactly scientific but hopefully I communicated the gist of it. 

Thank you. That is interesting and well communicated. It goes together with kids not suffering from excessive immune response and not seeming to spread it as much as we would assume.

9 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

That sounds really interesting. There has to be something like that at play because of the vast differences in how people are affected. Seemingly very similar people, on paper at least, are affected very differently and there are real differences in fatality rates due to age, gender or race. I know I have seen that the initial viral load may play a part but with the sheer numbers there has to be far more to it than that. I'm sure that science will find the answer, sooner rather than later

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

That sounds really interesting. There has to be something like that at play because of the vast differences in how people are affected. Seemingly very similar people, on paper at least, are affected very differently and there are real differences in fatality rates due to age, gender or race. I know I have seen that the initial viral load may play a part but with the sheer numbers there has to be far more to it than that. I'm sure that science will find the answer, sooner rather than later

I was totally absorbed in what the Prof was saying.  I just wish I could remember more of it!  

I heard an interesting radio prog on r4 about 1:30 today, "inside health?" lots on interesting info about new approaches to treatments and also new complications re kidney damage and sticky blood in covid-19 patients clogging dialysis machines. 

As an extra for those following the saga of the mate who works for railways and was ordered to do a test 2 weeks ago, this is latest from their facebook

"I rang to chase my test results again. They said they had already escalated it and there was nothing more they could do. They can't even see records to see if I have had the test. Tests that are sent to the US are taking ten days. If I haven't had any results after 14 days, I can have a retest - but obviously it means I don't know whether I had it two weeks ago. I have no idea what else to do, this is turning out to be a massive waste of time."

Archived