coronavirus

My Dad was a teacher and ended up as a kind of mini-headmaster within a large comprehensive. He once said that some of his teachers were as bad as the kids in trying to avoid going to school.

?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

My Dad was a teacher and ended up as a kind of mini-headmaster within a large comprehensive. He once said that some of his teachers were as bad as the kids in trying to avoid going to school.

?

Well this is today's message from my children's head (she is head of a c1500 pupil comp)

Dear Parents and Carers,

I hope you have all had a good weekend. So, the final week of this half term, I feel I need to state that as I feel all the weeks are merging into one! Summer term two is about to begin, very strange.

It is virtual sports week, thank you to xxxxxx and the PE dept for organising the events, please try and support if you can. We wait to see on Friday if there are any surprising personal bests amongst us!

A few updates:

The percentage of staff impacted by COVID-19 remains at 34%.

We have now issued £11,325 in vouchers for free school meals.

The school is open throughout half term to continue our Care Provision. Attendance to the provision is rising which is good.

Well, last week saw a number of different Government guidance released, reviewed, released again……I am currently on version 5 of our proposal for the wider opening of the school to incorporate supplementary support to year 10 and 12. Our risk assessment is nearly complete, I am going through the final checks and I will share this with you on Wednesday. I will also share with you my initial proposal for our supplementary provision. My return to school plan is gradual and very measured, starting very small and building from there. The risk assessment is thorough, and will ensure that the site is COVID secure and that social distancing can be strictly followed.

For half term, please plan to take it as a half term as much as you possibly can. I have asked staff to not set/follow up work during this time with families. Take the opportunity to have a rest and switch off!

As always, thank you for your ongoing support.

Take care and stay safe,

xxxxxxxx

Headteacher.

11 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Well this is today's message from my children's head (she is head of a c1500 pupil comp)

Dear Parents and Carers,

A few updates:

The percentage of staff impacted by COVID-19 remains at 34%.

So 34% of the teachers won't be going back. Who'd be surprised if a few more are on the blower, ringing their doctors about stress.

11 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

So 34% of the teachers won't be going back. Who'd be surprised if a few more are on the blower, ringing their doctors about stress.

other messages have gone into more detail on that number

Some are off as they or family they live with have medical conditions listed as meaning they have to stay shielded, others are in 7 or 14 day periods due to either symptoms or living in a house with people who have had or have symptoms, 

If you read it says "impacted by" not "signed off with", I know one of my daughters teachers had a bypass operation last year, I suspect she is part of the "shielded" group - she is issuing work remotely for my daughter but i doubt she would be considered safe to work in an open classroom currently

4 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I know it can be slightly counter intuitive, but increasing testing will probably lead to increased cases.  So detected cases could be going up while actual cases are going down.  How you pick it out from the raw figures I don't know.  Some places use % of tests positive, but without proper figures that might be hard to get.

*proper figures means cases per actual test results, not postage.  

Agree - and like I said my ponderings are far from conclusive given the complexities you mention. I do know tests were ramped up from ca 8000/day in mid April to just over 16000 at the beginning of May and then stayed reasonably steady (fell slightly to just under 1600) to the 11th but not sure after that - there is also the possibility that they are targeting known hotspots to further complicate things. The next days and weeks will tell.

Good to see someone knows the power  of GIS, a technique I mentioned some weeks ago.

Spoke to Bro in law near Ayr last week. They've had 6 Covid deaths last week. . When they are called anywhere, mainly Scottish  care homes at present,  they have to wear full body/face suits, Bodies double bagged and straight into coffin.

One issue: rhe says relatives complaining that docs add Covid 1 to list of causes on death cert.when that has not been confirmed.

No limos in cortege. Limited number of attendees have to go by their own cars, following hearse. Last week, cortege got separated from hearse for some reason but joined another one heading for a different crem! 

The figures are horribly high.

I was very skeptical of the hopeful idea that many millions had already been infected. But, if the fatality rate is about 0.5% (based on Danish figures, where there is good testing), then we would be looking at around 7,000,000 cases. That is enough to start having some limitation of the spread.

Just back of fag packet calculations.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I left Bradford University in 1975. I am 66 this month. The Alumni Association has just sent me a missive containing this.

To be fair, it's good of them to care about some of our younger alumni. :kolobok_yes:

With difficult economic times ahead, for some people it could be the right time to return to university to receive a higher qualification or completely change career, by for example, training to be a healthcare professional

46 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Good to see someone knows the power  of GIS, a technique I mentioned some weeks ago.

Spoke to Bro in law near Ayr last week. They've had 6 Covid deaths last week. . When they are called anywhere, mainly Scottish  care homes at present,  they have to wear full body/face suits, Bodies double bagged and straight into coffin.

One issue: rhe says relatives complaining that docs add Covid 1 to list of causes on death cert.when that has not been confirmed.

No limos in cortege. Limited number of attendees have to go by their own cars, following hearse. Last week, cortege got separated from hearse for some reason but joined another one heading for a different crem! 

I'm going to the funeral of my godmother this week.  She was in a nursing home, developed a cough, was isolated in her room for the remaining weeks of her life wondering what she had done wrong as she had full blown dementia and didn't understand.  She didn't develop any other known symptoms of Covid but 'probable Covid' has gone down on her death certificate and the funeral arrangements are exactly as you describe.  I'm representing my Mum who was her lifelong friend, giving a eulogy on her behalf to the handful of other people allowed to attend.  I am walking there as I don't have a car but the funeral directors have been lovely.  They are going the long way around so that they pass my Mum's house where they will stop a little while outside her living room window to give her a moment to say her goodbyes safely.  I found that incredibly touching.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

Does that denote where people who died are from or where they actually died?  It's a very stark representation and brings home just how much this disease loves people living close together.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

13 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

She didn't develop any other known symptoms of Covid but 'probable Covid' has gone down on her death certificate 

On social media I have read about quite a few 'concerns' from families who's loved ones die and have 'probable Covid' on the death cert, I wold have thought to be included in the 'daily death figures' there would have to be a blood test of the deceased at least, and not just an assumption made. Anyone know if this is the case?

EYSTlE.jpg

Yeah, there’s a lot of nonsense about covid being added to death certificates for giggles.

Like most things old people share on social media: it’s not true.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yeah, there’s a lot of nonsense about covid being added to death certificates for giggles.

Like most things old people share on social media: it’s not true.

It wouldn’t matter anyway they can be added to death certificates as much as they want they still won’t be counted in the numbers the government are using. The 34k odd that they use are only people who’ve died after testing positive.  

Just now, bobbruce said:

It wouldn’t matter anyway they can be added to death certificates as much as they want they still won’t be counted in the numbers the government are using. The 34k odd that they use are only people who’ve died after testing positive.  

Just to add thats why the five year average comparison will give a much clearer figure. 

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

I left Bradford University in 1975. I am 66 this month. The Alumni Association has just sent me a missive containing this.

To be fair, it's good of them to care about some of our younger alumni. :kolobok_yes:

With difficult economic times ahead, for some people it could be the right time to return to university to receive a higher qualification or completely change career, by for example, training to be a healthcare professional

I'm only a few years younger than you. I'm contemplating doing a history degree next year. Just for the sheer fun of it.....

Look at the what are you reading thread. There's nowt on there from me. I don't read fiction. Factual or historical stuff tho...love it. What forged our society in to what it is today fascinates me. I can see why they might tout you up....

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm only a few years younger than you. I'm contemplating doing a history degree next year. Just for the sheer fun of it.....

Look at the what are you reading thread. There's nowt on there from me. I don't read fiction. Factual or historical stuff tho...love it. What forged our society in to what it is today fascinates me. I can see why they might tout you up....

Lots of people post non-fiction book on that thread. If there's something you think people would be interested in, there's nothing stopping you.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

That was one of the huge benefits of the Open University. I fully intended to do similar but the costs are just prohibitive now, beyond stupid.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, Johnoco said:

My hair is a little overgrown. 
I have learnt, via work colleagues, that there are certain barbers operating if you know the right people. I said I’d rather have a crappy hairdo for a while than get a bollocking from my Mrs for using one (I wouldn’t regardless) 

So the ‘black market’ mentality is still alive and well. 

Spivs did well in the Blitz.

Mrs Ginger did my hair yesterday. It's not bad at all.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I’m sure you will genuinely believe that eventually ??

Oh, if it was rubbish, I'd say so on here (although not to her obviously). But she has done a good job.

10 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

I have learnt, via work colleagues, that there are certain barbers operating if you know the right people. I said I’d rather have a crappy hairdo for a while than get a bollocking from my Mrs for using one (I wouldn’t regardless) 

The memsahib cut my hair with shears that had previously been used on the dogs ar se ffs!!!

"They're clean... they're sterile".. ad infinitum just didn't help!!

1 minute ago, Johnoco said:

A lot of people at work have just gone for the bonehead look. Zero all over.

I’m too vain for that though 

A nice mix of grades for me. The only downside is that having the back of my head photo'd (we don't have a mirror that could do the job) means I can no longer I hide from the fact that that really is a bald spot.

This virus is ruining everything.

9 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

There was an item on the news recently (last week?) where a reporter rang around a number of barbers to enquire about getting a haircut. Quite a few (around half IIRC) said no problem but the price had usually gone up due to the risk (of possibly getting caught).

Archived