coronavirus

Just watched local news on BBC Wales. A fair stretch of the River Wye forms the boundary with England. Anglers can fish on the English bank but not on the Welsh one.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yeah, there’s a lot of nonsense about covid being added to death certificates for giggles.

Like most things old people share on social media: it’s not true.

And your sources for this are what? You can maybe come back in here when you've had to move say dozen dead bodies and dealt with their greaving relatives. Please remember that this thread is for facts. You can post fake news on the politics sub forum. 

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

A lot of people at work have just gone for the bonehead look. Zero all over.

I’m too vain for that though 

Mrs Shadow got the clippers out on Saturday, I now have a grade two all over, which is not a massive difference from my normal cut.

I offered to have a go on hers, she politely declined. 

2 minutes ago, JohnM said:

And your sources for this are what? You can maybe come back in here when you've had to move say dozen dead bodies and dealt with their greaving relatives. Please remember that this thread is for facts. You can post fake news on the politics sub forum. 

My sources for the fact that nobody is adding covid-19 to death certificates to artificially inflate the numbers of covid-19 deaths is reality. It's not happening.

I'll be sure and tell Mrs Ginger, whose father died in a care home three weeks ago, that she has clearly forgotten a doctor sneaking in and putting covid-19 on the death certificate. (No doctor did do this by the way because it's not happening. He died from being very ill.)

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I'm in a right dog of a mood that just won't lift.

Should have been setting off for France tomorrow and I just can't step away from that and my own selfish feelings of missing out are lingering ....  lousy rotten mood. Feeling like this when so many have died is making me feel worse....

Ar se!!!

3 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

The memsahib cut my hair with shears that had previously been used on the dogs ar se ffs!!!

"They're clean... they're sterile".. ad infinitum just didn't help!!

Don't worry, that haircut looks the dog's b****cks.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 minutes ago, Niels said:

Is it easy to do Shadow?

Can it be done alone?

I was thinking of having a grade 2 all over also. Though I have no clippers and they are difficult to get. 

Its a doddle. If in doubt about the bits you cant see in a mirror just keep going over!

25 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I'm in a right dog of a mood that just won't lift.

Should have been setting off for France tomorrow and I just can't step away from that and my own selfish feelings of missing out are lingering ....  lousy rotten mood. Feeling like this when so many have died is making me feel worse....

Ar se!!!

I think it's absolutely fine to be down about highly personal things. That's not selfish.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Niels said:

Is it easy to do Shadow?

Can it be done alone?

I was thinking of having a grade 2 all over also. Though I have no clippers and they are difficult to get. 

Plenty of clippers about a week or 2 ago when I was looking - Argos & Ebay. But Boots were sold out online

Should be able to buy a pair doing a grade 2 all over for £20

I went for a set that had longer combs, plus those that can graduate length around the ears

Did my own last weekend. Whilst I wouldn't pay much for the end result, its passable. The family assured me it was ok to go out on our Whatsapp video chat as I was able to show them the bits I can't see. The back is difficult though. I was conservative with it overall, and may be a bit more brave next time

18 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Plenty of clippers about a week or 2 ago when I was looking - Argos & Ebay. But Boots were sold out online

We got ours direct from the manufacturer as none of the online “general” sites had stock. Meant we paid the RRP rather than any discount but it did also mean we got them.

3 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

I went for a set that had longer combs, plus those that can graduate length around the ears

Did my own last weekend. Whilst I wouldn't pay much for the end result, its passable. The family assured me it was ok to go out on our Whatsapp video chat as I was able to show them the bits I can't see. The back is difficult though. I was conservative with it overall, and may be a bit more brave next time

Mrs Sidestep did mine last - halfway through she demanded payment of £10 otherwise I'd have to finish it off myself. No way was I paying that......

VT-Comp-Haircuts2-1.jpg

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

My sources for the fact that nobody is adding covid-19 to death certificates to artificially inflate the numbers of covid-19 deaths is reality. It's not happening.

Who said that they are?

What they are doing, is adding Covid if they think the person may have had Covid while not being 100% sure that they have had it because the person had not been tested.  

6 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Who said that they are?

What they are doing, is adding Covid if they think the person may have had Covid while not being 100% sure that they have had it because the person had not been tested.  

Yes, we agree. The ONS covid death figures are as robust as for any other cause of death in this country.

And I wasn’t replying to you but to the post you were quoted in linking to a letter saying the figures were a nonsense because doctors are too keen to assign to covid.

I guess God must be French (from BBC)……...

France's highest administrative court has ruled the government must lift a blanket ban on meetings at places of worship imposed as part of measures to combat the coronavirus, AFP reports.

The latest rules ban all gatherings in places of worship except funerals which are limited to 20 people.

The Council of State has ruled such a ban on freedom of worship caused "a damage that is serious and manifestly illegal" and is "disproportionate in nature."

It told the government to lift the ban within the next eight days.

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

Who said that they are?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/877302/guidance-for-doctors-completing-medical-certificates-of-cause-of-death-covid-19.pdf

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

4 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Thanks Shaun. I will have a look. I think being conservative like you is sensible for my first time. 

It seems to have been a confusing day about the virus. The lockdown definitely seems a lot looser some places. 

However at work the assessment of the latest advice was that nothing has really changed.

In view of this we are still being very cautious which I think is still the best way to proceed. 

I know some people like to look at mortality rate per capita to compare countries, but I would say it has limited value.

It shows perhaps the relative stress on the health services, but as even within countries the outbreaks are often regionalised the comparison is not even.

If you were to put on my capitalist hat, you could posit that most of the victims were not economically active, so the impact on the economy would be limited.

Anyway, graph of the day:

image.png.40968e06ed024bd67001ee172054bc2e.png

*countries smaller than Luxembourg were excluded. Data up to 18/5/20.

Could do with a day off.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

A copy from a teacher friend’s Facebook page:

Imagine you have 30 kids in a room. One of them lightly dipped their hands in glitter before entering the room. How many kids will not have glitter all over them at the end of the day?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Looking at Brazil again and comparing with the UK.

Brazil currently has 16,941 deaths (with 740 yesterday). The UK was at the same stage in mid-April when we had just passed the peak (20th April, 16,509 total deaths, 449 that day)

Brazil does not appear to be at or near its peak. It seems inevitable that Brazil will have significantly more fatalities than the UK.

image.png.a91f834359ddeabe51c4cd8ca387c8d5.png

image.png.1a3ee15d278da83d8338d4f2a58b0d73.png

*the red line is when the UK adjusted figures to include those outside hospital (5,033 on 30th April)

P.S. Don't know why I swapped the colours over. ??

2 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Brazil does not appear to be at or near its peak. It seems inevitable that Brazil will have significantly more fatalities than the UK.

A direct failing of the government there who will not remotely care how many poor or 'weak' people die.

Archived