coronavirus

7 hours ago, ckn said:

A copy from a teacher friend’s Facebook page:

Imagine you have 30 kids in a room. One of them lightly dipped their hands in glitter before entering the room. How many kids will not have glitter all over them at the end of the day?

How many kids will not have glitter all over them at the end of the day?

!!!!!??

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, ckn said:

A copy from a teacher friend’s Facebook page:

Imagine you have 30 kids in a room. One of them lightly dipped their hands in glitter before entering the room. How many kids will not have glitter all over them at the end of the day?

Your a moderator and you are expecting us to believe you have friends? ????

2 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Looking at Brazil again and comparing with the UK.

Brazil currently has 16,941 deaths (with 740 yesterday). The UK was at the same stage in mid-April when we had just passed the peak (20th April, 16,509 total deaths, 449 that day)

Brazil does not appear to be at or near its peak. It seems inevitable that Brazil will have significantly more fatalities than the UK.

image.png.a91f834359ddeabe51c4cd8ca387c8d5.png

image.png.1a3ee15d278da83d8338d4f2a58b0d73.png

*the red line is when the UK adjusted figures to include those outside hospital (5,033 on 30th April)

P.S. Don't know why I swapped the colours over. ??

Latest results from Brazil show 1179 deaths in the last 24 hours. Even if that is a bit of an outlier following the weekend, that is a big jump and things are looking serious over there. A country with some very poor areas and a Govt. that doesn't seem to care is just going to make this worse.

This morning, I watched a live-streamed funeral for the first time, although there were technical problems. The full recording will be made available for those who had problems connecting.

He was a very young man who'd been working for us for only a few months, before catching COVID-19 while in hospital.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not seen it covered on the TV but seeing reports from police social media ... Camber and other local beaches are apparently 'overwhelmed'.

Joy.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Reports from China that they are seeing different symptoms and longer incubation in patients in the NE of the country - virus mutating? From BBC Live:

Experts in China say the Covid-19 patients they are seeing in the north-east of the country show “different symptoms" and require “longer incubation” than those in the central city of Wuhan at the beginning of the country's outbreak. Qiu Haibo, one of the country’s top critical care doctors in the National Health Commission’s top medical team, spoke on the national CCTV-13 news channel about the fresh observations his team were making. Dr Qiu said his team were seeing new cases in north-eastern Heilongjiang and Jilin provinces had a longer incubation period, and their clinical symptoms were not typical.

They don’t have a fever, he said, but are suffering from either fatigue or a sore throat. Some have no symptoms at all. He added that the new cases appeared to be carrying the virus for much longer.

According to the national Global Times newspaper, “tests on Wuhan patients normally came back negative within a week or at most two weeks” after a patient shows symptoms.

But now, even though the cases are more curable, people appear to be carrying the virus for “longer periods”.

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Not seen it covered on the TV but seeing reports from police social media ... Camber and other local beaches are apparently 'overwhelmed'.

Joy.

I think people decided not to go last weekend, cause everybody else would.  We'll go Wednesday when its quieter!

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

9 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

How many kids will not have glitter all over them at the end of the day?

!!!!!??

the leader of the gang maybe?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

A direct failing of the government there who will not remotely care how many poor or 'weak' people die.

High murder rate as well . Rate down a little in 2019 lowest numbers for 12 years . Only 41 thousand plus ?

19 minutes ago, henage said:

High murder rate as well . Rate down a little in 2019 lowest numbers for 12 years . Only 41 thousand plus ?

Probably ran out of bullets

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

45 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Come on lighten up, Corrie and 'enders are coming back......

I would be scared a crossing road in enders.Too high risk.

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

This morning, I watched a live-streamed funeral for the first time, although there were technical problems. The full recording will be made available for those who had problems connecting.

He was a very young man who'd been working for us for only a few months, before catching COVID-19 while in hospital.

That's sad.

I went to the funeral of my godmother this morning who died of Covid in a nursing home (she was a lifelong friend of my Mum, who didn't go, but the funeral director kindly stopped the hearse outside Mum's house so that Mum could say her final goodbye).  That too was live streamed.  St Helens Crematorium do the live streaming themselves.  Was that the case at the facility where your colleague was taken?

The funeral this morning almost didn't happen because the funeral directors had to close the whole operation down in St Helens due to every staff member testing positive for Covid last week.  That's 28 people in a single cluster.  Yikes.  It seems even hazmat suits don't fully protect a person.  

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Joy.

The BBC showed two beaches on the news this evening, one of which was Brighton (can't remember the other one).  Both were busy but people were in little clusters separated from each other.  The problem came with the queues, for the toilets (I would go home before going to a public loo at the moment!) and for the ice cream stall.  Everyone forgot to social distance.  They must have been too preoccupied to remember.

On 18/05/2020 at 10:31, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

FC Seoul had some different spectators.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52702075

_112331948_seoul.jpg

Update: 

A South Korean football club has been fined 100m won (£66,500, $81,500) for filling empty seats with "sex dolls" at a recent home match.

FC Seoul put 30 "premium mannequins" in the stands, with fans unable to attend because of coronavirus restrictions.

The club said they did not know the dolls were adult products and apologised on Monday.

"The incident has greatly insulted and hurt female and family fans," a K League statement said.

The comparison graph I didn't post yesterday was the number of cases reported daily.

This is even more damning and would seem to imply that the death toll in Brazil is likely to explode in the next week to 10 days. It could well double in that timescale and overtake that of the UK.

image.png.a7c9e0f9a6c4c1002cc58e578030e7e3.png

If anyone was still ambivalent as to whether 'lockdown' saves lives or not, this should be the clincher. Where would we have been now without those actions? This is not over. Stay Safe. Stay at home. Save lives.

P.S. Does anyone know why the reported cases in the UK went down by 525 from 248,818 to 248,293 yesterday?

It's been going up by 3000 a day recently.

Has any explanation been given?

Had a run out to one of our local lakes yesterday , National Trust Car Parks rammed , lots of dog walkers/ramblers , families having picnics , people swimming in the lake , everybody social distancing ,no problems whatsoever .

10 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Had a run out to one of our local lakes yesterday , National Trust Car Parks rammed , lots of dog walkers/ramblers , families having picnics , people swimming in the lake , everybody social distancing ,no problems whatsoever .

I get the feeling - based on no science whatsoever - that the problems were limited to a couple of beaches rather than a load of places.  Hopefully there will be no negative impact.

Archived