coronavirus

On 20/05/2020 at 20:23, JohnM said:

Just returned from Sandilands beach, 8 pm  Crowds flooding back: there were maybe 10 people squeezed into about 2 mile of beach.  Maybe another 10-15  walking dogs on promenade.  

When I worked in Skipton in the '70s and '80s, Sandilands was the local sports centre.  If it is now on the beach, then global warming and coastal erosion in Yorkshire is a tad worse than I thought!

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the film Contagion last night. I've seen it before but watching it last night was quite eerie with what is currently going on. It is also a bit freaky on how accurate much of it is and how similar it is to today's pandemic.

More research that could reveal a chink in covid's defences https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52754280

It has been found those with the most severe form of the disease have extremely low numbers of an immune cell called a T-cell.

T-cells clear infection from the body.

The clinical trial will evaluate if a drug called interleukin 7, known to boost T-cell numbers, can aid patients' recovery.

For all you people eager to learn more about contact tracing and Covid-19. Coursea are offing a free course by John Hopkins University. I know a lot of people are interested and have time to kill so someone may be interested:

About this Course

The COVID-19 crisis has created an unprecedented need for contact tracing across the country, requiring thousands of people to learn key skills quickly. The job qualifications for contact tracing positions differ throughout the country and the world, with some new positions open to individuals with a high school diploma or equivalent.

In this introductory course, students will learn about the science of SARS-CoV-2 , including the infectious period, the clinical presentation of COVID-19, and the evidence for how SARS-CoV-2 is transmitted from person-to-person and why contact tracing can be such an effective public health intervention. Students will learn about how contact tracing is done, including how to build rapport with cases, identify their contacts, and support both cases and their contacts to stop transmission in their communities. The course will also cover several important ethical considerations around contact tracing, isolation, and quarantine. Finally, the course will identify some of the most common barriers to contact tracing efforts -- along with strategies to overcome them.

https://www.coursera.org/learn/covid-19-contact-tracing?edocomorp=covid-19-contact-tracing#enroll

12 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It's fine. A few days ago the Chinese media were reporting that the situation in Jilin was under control. And, if this pandemic has taught us anything at all, it's that we can trust everything the Chinese government says.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Seems my optimism was misplaced.

My sister's fella is back in ICU.... trachy back open and ventilator back on.

For the first time the consultant has suggested he might not make it and has warned that if he does, he will be nowhere near his former self. His lungs have been ravaged by the virus. 

Anxiety is now back in place.....

2 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

For the first time the consultant has suggested he might not make it and has warned that if he does, he will be nowhere near his former self. His lungs have been ravaged by the virus. 

That's absolutely awful news. Hoping that things don't turn out anywhere near as bad as it sounds.

20 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Oh god mate, so sorry to hear this.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Really sorry to hear this.  What a terrible time everyone in your family is going through.  I hope he makes it.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Really sorry to hear that. Hope things take a turn for the better.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-new-york-victims-without-family-buried-in-mass-grave-on-hart-island-11971679

An old story but got me thinking of when archeologists or builders come across a mass grave from a major historical event when working. Horrible thought/part of history but we are living through an historical event that will be remember for a long long time.

Can sky news literally fill the screen with anything more ? Ridiculous when the press conference is on that they plaster it with irritating distracting stuff all over the place ... like a big sidebar telling us about Priti Patel’s constituency and where she went to university , and important breaking news of something she’s just said 2 seconds ago

I heard on the local BBC news tonight that Shearings the coach travel company has been liquidated (along with other companies in the group - Wallace Arnold, another coach travel company, being one of them) because its parent company has gone into administration .  The company's demise is as a result of the Covid lockdown.  2,500 people have lost their jobs in Wigan where Shearings is based (I don't know about the other companies) and 65,000 holidays have been cancelled.  The company was 100 years old I believe and born in Oldham.  I suspect there are going to be many similar casualties of this virus.

11 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I heard on the local BBC news tonight that Shearings the coach travel company has been liquidated (along with other companies in the group - Wallace Arnold, another coach travel company, being one of them) because its parent company has gone into administration .  The company's demise is as a result of the Covid lockdown.  2,500 people have lost their jobs in Wigan where Shearings is based (I don't know about the other companies) and 65,000 holidays have been cancelled.  The company was 100 years old I believe and born in Oldham.  I suspect there are going to be many similar casualties of this virus.

A friend of mine took a hit in this, it's been on the cards a while and the company was in trouble before Covid hit, but like many who have underlying problems Covid was the last straw.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Son in law was  a Shearings driver UK to Spain until a fee years ago. He reported at the time the difficulties they were in. Falling prices, increasing costs, etc etc. And now this. Even the company's premium brand - Legers -has gone. 

Heard the group was in administration. No hope of saving at least a part of the group? 

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Six posts removed. 

Fair enough.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

Son in law was  a Shearings driver UK to Spain until a fee years ago. He reported at the time the difficulties they were in. Falling prices, increasing costs, etc etc. And now this. Even the company's premium brand - Legers -has gone. 

Heard the group was in administration. No hope of saving at least a part of the group? 

I think all the companies have been liquidated.  All the staff at Shearings had been furloughed so they'll now be in a right pickle.  Poor sods.

Great shame about Wallace Arnold! An old Leeds firm that took me to the seaside as a kid so many times. Always remember worrying we would never get to The Calls in time to catch the coach to Cleethorpes for the day! Days I remember with great fondness!

On 28/04/2020 at 13:07, Damien said:

Some are worse off but some are far better off. I even know people furloughed who are far better off as whilst on 80% pay they don't have the expenses associated with working.

I read just now that you are correct about this and people are better off. I remembered your post.

I definitely aren't better off. Bills are high with homeworking, family can't work and not furloughed. I've carried on working same hours, doing more in fact at the NHS, yet financially I am worse off.

It's a bit dispiriting reading about people furloughing waiting with money to spend. 

I think the 80% is too high.

Ironically I have finally disagreed with something the Government have done yet everyone else seems to like it ?

Archived