coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LeeF said:

Another company that seems to have been in trouble for a while 

It's gone into administration at least once in the past decade and, I'm sure, has had 'restructures' and closures outside of that too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, Niels said:

I read just now that you are correct about this and people are better off. I remembered your post.

I definitely aren't better off. Bills are high with homeworking, family can't work and not furloughed. I've carried on working same hours, doing more in fact at the NHS, yet financially I am worse off.

It's a bit dispiriting reading about people furloughing waiting with money to spend. 

I think the 80% is too high.

Ironically I have finally disagreed with something the Government have done yet everyone else seems to like it ?

I always thought it was probably a tad on the high side to be sustainable but it is certainly something that I would never criticise the Government for as ultimately it is\was a very good thing that has benefited many people. As someone who is working from home and better off I was never going to take an I'm all right kind of attitude and criticise the Government for giving people too much as I suspect if I was one of the ones on furlough and struggling financially I would have a different perspective.

The Government did a great job in quickly implementing a scheme that benefitted a lot of people and I suspect a lot of judgement calls were made. As I said previously I do know more people who are furloughed who are better off,  than worse off but its a fine line and for some people it still isn't enough either. A lower amount and far more people would be in financial difficulty. I suspect it was very much a short term solution and they didn't realise that potentially 6 months down the line that business could still be closed and going bankrupt anyway.

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

I always thought it was probably a tad on the high side to be sustainable but it is certainly something that I would never criticise the Government for as ultimately it is\was a very good thing that has benefited many people. As someone who is working from home and better off I was never going to take an I'm all right kind of attitude and criticise the Government for giving people too much as I suspect if I was one of the ones on furlough and struggling financially I would have a different perspective.

The Government did a great job in quickly implementing a scheme that benefitted a lot of people and I suspect a lot of judgement calls were made. As I said previously I do know more people who are furloughed who are better off,  than worse off but its a fine line and for some people it still isn't enough either. A lower amount and far more people would be in financial difficulty. I suspect it was very much a short term solution and they didn't realise that potentially 6 months down the line that business could still be closed and going bankrupt anyway.

Have to agree with most of this. The Govt acted quickly and in the right manner

Like yourself, I thought it was slightly on the high side, given that mortgage holidays could be available as well. I would have liked a bit more available from the pot to help the self-employed more. But......overall generally is good

14 minutes ago, Damien said:

I see it the other way. I think it was exactly what was needed for the culture of the UK. If we’d gone 60%, or demanded co-payment, then many companies would have just shrugged and treated it as a bargain to sack them all with a view to re-employment when it was over, but on nice new “modern” contracts and zero continuity of employment. We’re not quite the US in a hire & fire mentality, but neither are we a co-operative working environment like some European countries.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Just now, ckn said:

I see it the other way. I think it was exactly what was needed for the culture of the UK. If we’d gone 60%, or demanded co-payment, then many companies would have just shrugged and treated it as a bargain to sack them all with a view to re-employment when it was over, but on nice new “modern” contracts and zero continuity of employment. We’re not quite the US in a hire & fire mentality, but neither are we a co-operative working environment like some European countries.

That's true too. As I said I think it was a very line, and as you rightly point small deviations could have had different consequences, and overall I think the Government good job to get that balance right. They probably managed to get the widest benefit possible for both employee and employer in a very short time frame.

20 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Seems my optimism was misplaced.

My sister's fella is back in ICU.... trachy back open and ventilator back on.

For the first time the consultant has suggested he might not make it and has warned that if he does, he will be nowhere near his former self. His lungs have been ravaged by the virus. 

Anxiety is now back in place.....

Sorry to hear. Fingers crossed he makes it. 

I think the 80% level for furlough is interesting, but I think there is a risk of us living in our own bubbles. It would be interesting to know if there is any research into impact. 

A household on £20k per year for example probably doesn't have the spare income to handle a £4k drop (to use top line numbers). Whilst plenty will benefit from reduced travel and work costs, maybe nurseries etc. plenty will have been on the breadline as it was. They will be the ones visiting food banks etc now. And whilst debt repayment holidays are helpful for many, interest is accruing and people are going into more debt. 

Similarly somebody on £60k a year is losing half of their wage. A lot of people couldnt absorb that. 

There is probably a bit of a sweet spot in terms of salary and circumstances that benefits some, but a lot will be struggling with the loss of income. 

That isn't meant to be critical at all of the scheme which seems very decent. 

Just spent an hour on phone with mastercard and yorkshire bank customer services,Had paid for 4 of us back in feb for a 4 day scotland trip for august,Seems all is not lost if its paid by debit card as they have started the chargeback.Were sweating a bit last night.:kolobok_scratch_one-s_head:

hi Hullfan,, we too had a package deal but with Virgin, they cancelled flight and holiday. We paid with credit card .Virgin informed us we would be reimbursed within 45 days. After this lapsed we got in touch with credit card (Santander fraud department), they are going to  reimburse us and contest the deal as we are  insured with credit card. So Hullfan if you've booked the package via a credit card try them.

25 minutes ago, HAVERCROFT10 said:

hi Hullfan,, we too had a package deal but with Virgin, they cancelled flight and holiday. We paid with credit card .Virgin informed us we would be reimbursed within 45 days. After this lapsed we got in touch with credit card (Santander fraud department), they are going to  reimburse us and contest the deal as we are  insured with credit card. So Hullfan if you've booked the package via a credit card try them.

It’s a Section 75 claim that you need to mention if you’ve paid by credit card and the total cost is £100 or more

36 minutes ago, HAVERCROFT10 said:

Thanks for you reply, however I paid in cash. I find it a bit odd how I'm informed by the airline before the actual company I booked the holiday with. 

Given these uncertain times, card payments offer much more of a safety net than cash.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

39 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, I paid well before this uncertain time 

Even in better times, a card payment is more protected and recoupable. Especially with flights, considering the tight-fisted likes of Easyjet and Ryanair.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

At least i had a nice thank you email from national coaches this afternoon,  for my years of custom, They only confirmed my booking last week and said they were fully booked up for most dates on the scotland trip, That SLG leisure own a lot of hotels and other holiday companys.

2 hours ago, Hullfan said:

Thanks for you reply, however I paid in cash. I find it a bit odd how I'm informed by the airline before the actual company I booked the holiday with. 

Literally cash, or debit card?

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

It's nice to get some good news. Not out of the woods yet, but get back home soon Michael Rosen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52783472

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

8 minutes ago, tim2 said:

It's nice to get some good news. Not out of the woods yet, but get back home soon Michael Rosen.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52783472

He's been in IC for ages; I really hope he recovers as much as is possible.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

Literally cash, if thats a thing. 

In that case, tricky.

It is used in contexts other than "readies" (like cash flow)

4 hours ago, silverback said:

At least i had a nice thank you email from national coaches this afternoon,  for my years of custom, They only confirmed my booking last week and said they were fully booked up for most dates on the scotland trip, That SLG leisure own a lot of hotels and other holiday companys.

That's disappointing for you even though they were polite while cancelling your holiday.  I wonder what those who rely on coach holidays will do now, once things recover (assuming they do of course!)?  The bigger coach companies, which all seem to have been owned by the same parent company (a definite weakness there I think), could offer reasonable prices and lots of options.  It may be more difficult for people to find coach holidays in the future, unless one of the smaller outfits can step up to fill the gap left by National, Wallace Arnold and Shearings.  

9 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

That's disappointing for you even though they were polite while cancelling your holiday.  I wonder what those who rely on coach holidays will do now, once things recover (assuming they do of course!)?  The bigger coach companies, which all seem to have been owned by the same parent company (a definite weakness there I think), could offer reasonable prices and lots of options.  It may be more difficult for people to find coach holidays in the future, unless one of the smaller outfits can step up to fill the gap left by National, Wallace Arnold and Shearings.  

The company my parents use seems (touch wood) unaffected at this stage. The local companies here that run from Hastings to the continent are also taking bookings for later in the year.

But in a world where Tui shed 9,000 jobs and Virgin just leave Gatwick, there can’t be any certainties about anyone.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Archived