coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Saintslass said:

That's disappointing for you even though they were polite while cancelling your holiday.  I wonder what those who rely on coach holidays will do now, once things recover (assuming they do of course!)?  The bigger coach companies, which all seem to have been owned by the same parent company (a definite weakness there I think), could offer reasonable prices and lots of options.  It may be more difficult for people to find coach holidays in the future, unless one of the smaller outfits can step up to fill the gap left by National, Wallace Arnold and Shearings.  

Round here, three holiday coach companies also run scheduled services, school and college buses, so still have a business of of sorts. Nearest secondary school to us is 7 miles away. Next two are 17 miles away.  PC Coaches, Hunts, Greyscroft. 

Am I the only one on here that is getting fed up of the same rubbish blocking 13hours+ of BBC TV schedules depressing us mentally every day?

I mean, 0600-1000 every morning, then regular updates, telling us the same junk on Sky news, or BBC news, then 1700-1900, then Eastenders, Emmerdale & Corry.

Can I buy a gun locally & kill myself?

It no wonder lockdown is producing depression, & the Government will ignore that until it's too late as well.

I dont want to watch child friendly films, when I haven't seen my 11 year old for 10 weeks.

Understand your point Bleep. We've largely self isolated from the TV news channels in favour of listening to Radio 3, BBC Sounds, Pocket Cast and National Public Radio. Watch a lot of ITV3, Drama and Yesterday whilst muttering "they don't e make em like a that any more." 

Also watch YouTube a lot.

Then there is always Project Gutenberg. 

19 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

Am I the only one on here that is getting fed up of the same rubbish blocking 13hours+ of BBC TV schedules depressing us mentally every day?

I mean, 0600-1000 every morning, then regular updates, telling us the same junk on Sky news, or BBC news, then 1700-1900, then Eastenders, Emmerdale & Corry.

Can I buy a gun locally & kill myself?

It no wonder lockdown is producing depression, & the Government will ignore that until it's too late as well.

I dont want to watch child friendly films, when I haven't seen my 11 year old for 10 weeks.

off switch . take fishing up . dont watch tv or over use internet 

Finally got the nod to go back to work today, drove 45 minutes to site only to be told the internal job I had been asked to do couldn't take place as there was somebody working in the same space, fair enough.

I am now back at home for the rest of the week, but what really pisses me off is the fact that the contracts manager and site agent knew my work wouldn't be able to be done, yet neither of them could be arsed to pick up the ###### phone to tell me.

These are so called professionals who earn around 60-80 grand,yet couldn't run a ###### bath let alone a building site.

Maybe I should have put this in the rant thread in hindsight

16 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

Finally got the nod to go back to work today, drove 45 minutes to site only to be told the internal job I had been asked to do couldn't take place as there was somebody working in the same space, fair enough.

I am now back at home for the rest of the week, but what really pisses me off is the fact that the contracts manager and site agent knew my work wouldn't be able to be done, yet neither of them could be arsed to pick up the ###### phone to tell me.

These are so called professionals who earn around 60-80 grand,yet couldn't run a ###### bath let alone a building site.

We really need an "angry on your behalf" reaction face.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

46 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

My mate is in a similar situation, before COVID he shared a small office with another guy. They both turned up today for work, management made them toss a coin for who got to go home, they're now on week-on, week-off in the office until further notice

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 25/05/2020 at 07:45, JohnM said:

Understand your point Bleep. We've largely self isolated from the TV news channels in favour of listening to Radio 3, BBC Sounds, Pocket Cast and National Public Radio. Watch a lot of ITV3, Drama and Yesterday whilst muttering "they don't e make em like a that any more." 

Yes, I am into series 3 of Death in Paradise, Yesterday is good (Abandoned Engineering etc), I watched S1 Killing Eve, but cant get into S2, Musketeers, Sweeney, Professionals, some cookery shows on Sky 140, Wheeler Dealers with Ed China (dont like Ant, too smug). Started Plebs again, that's fun. Oh go on, Father Ted.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Yes, I am into series 3 of Death in Paradise, Yesterday is good (Abandoned Engineering etc), I watched S1 Killing Eve, but cant get into S2, Musketeers, Sweeney, Professionals, some cookery shows on Sky 140, Wheeler Dealers with Ed China (dont like Ant, too smug). Started Plebs again, that's fun. Oh go on, Father Ted.

I wouldn't bother going any further than series one of Killing Eve.

1 hour ago, Bleep1673 said:

Boardwalk empir will keep you busy a while, its great and 5 seasons to it,am just on season 2 and its brill. Have 3 greenhouses too that keep me outa trouble.and a gin production line..lol.

On 25/05/2020 at 07:45, JohnM said:

Yes, I am into series 3 of Death in Paradise, Yesterday is good (Abandoned Engineering etc), I watched S1 Killing Eve, but cant get into S2, Musketeers, Sweeney, Professionals, some cookery shows on Sky 140, Wheeler Dealers with Ed China (dont like Ant, too smug). Started Plebs again, that's fun.

3 hours ago, Skids said:

I wouldn't bother going any further than series one of Killing Eve.

I've enjoyed series 2 and as much of series 3 I've seen so far.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 hours ago, silverback said:

Boardwalk empir will keep you busy a while, its great and 5 seasons to it,am just on season 2 and its brill. Have 3 greenhouses too that keep me outa trouble.and a gin production line..lol.

Yeah but needs a subscription?

It appears that this thread is gradually going away, a bit like the virus itself. But here I am, resurrecting it!

Getting very strict with the politics thing shows us that everything is political.... Hopefully this isn't, it's just a fact.

I spoke to a friend last night who works for the NHS. A month ago she came home from work feeling a bit tired, went to bed and basically didn't get up for about 4 weeks. She's still sleeping a lot and has a nasty cough. Despite wearing PPE, 24 people in her immediate area got COVID-19, a lot of them with more than mild symptoms. As she said, they must have been "swimming in it" in areas where there was no PPE but it was impossible to know - they thought they were still being careful.

The point being, this virus is still out there and, while it is, is capable of decimating groups of people in close proximity.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The news channels are all leading with the USA Covid deaths reaching 100,000; not-so-subtly hinting that the numbers are so high because the USA hasn't followed the UK lockdown regime.

US population is 328million ... deaths at 100, 000 = 0.03%

UK population is at least 60 million ... deaths are around 37,500. = 0.06%

Funny how our claimed death rate was falling before Cummings farago ... Government needs people to go back to work.

Funny how our claimed death rate shot up after the Cummings farago ... Government needs people not to ignore lockdown completely.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

This is interesting and has many implications:

Coronavirus infection without symptoms might be more common than previously thought, according to a study of people isolated on a cruise ship during the pandemic.

More than 80 per cent of the passengers and crew on the unnamed cruise ship who tested positive for Covid-19 were asymptomatic.

The prevalence of the virus on affected cruise ships is therefore likely to be "significantly underestimated", the study published in the journal Thorax concludes.

"Strategies are needed to assess and monitor all passengers to prevent community transmission after disembarkation," the Australia-based researchers said.

Professor Alan Smyth, joint editor-in-chief of the journal, said the study's results could have implications for the easing of lockdown restrictions if more people than previously thought have already had the virus.

Of the 217 passengers and crew on board, 128 tested positive for the virus and of those, 104 patients - 81 per cent - did not have symptoms.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/27/cruise-ship-study-shows-80-per-cent-covid-19-cases-board-asymptomatic/

Archived