coronavirus

My daughter works in travel and has had to deal with a lot of cancellations and rebookings. Today she had to help a lady whose husband had died of the virus 2 weeks before his 60th birthday. She has a disabled son she will now have to look after alone. My daughter was in pieces afterwards.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, tim2 said:

My daughter works in travel and has had to deal with a lot of cancellations and rebookings. Today she had to help a lady whose husband had died of the virus 2 weeks before his 60th birthday. She has a disabled son she will now have to look after alone. My daughter was in pieces afterwards.

Is your daughter getting any support? Sounds like she could do with some.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Is your daughter getting any support? Sounds like she could do with some.

I think this is the first one for COVID. She's used to handling emotional situations - people cancel all the time due to deaths but something about this one, and the fact that she is working alone from home got to her. In fact she told us that a surprising number of honeymoons are cancelled because the couples split up between booking and the wedding so she's had a few emotional ex-brides to be too. I'll call her later - I hope she could at least take a few minutes off. They're pretty brutal on monitoring time and number of customers processed.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I've just watched the press conference and I see that part of the announcement was that people would be allowed to go through their houses to get to their back gardens, and that six people from different households would be allowed to gather.  Gosh.  With a daily infection rate of around 8,000 that sounds very risky!  I don't know about anyone else but I feel rather nervous about this releasing of the lockdown.  

34 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I've just watched the press conference and I see that part of the announcement was that people would be allowed to go through their houses to get to their back gardens, and that six people from different households would be allowed to gather.  Gosh.  With a daily infection rate of around 8,000 that sounds very risky!  I don't know about anyone else but I feel rather nervous about this releasing of the lockdown.  

It feels a bit "too much, too soon" to me too.

Shops opening (with restrictions) is probably worth risking, as people have now got used to the restrictions when using the shops that were allowed to stay open.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

37 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

With nearly 400 deaths it seems a bit early to me - nothing to do with politics, just my own risk aversion. I probably will go and see my daughter though. She's not had a great time in lockdown.

On a positive note, I cut my wife's hair today. I may well have been looking for somewhere else to live right now, but I think I got away with it.

51 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Johnson will have been led by the science and made a decision appropriate to the needs of England at this time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Dentists will reopen for face-to-face appointments from 8th June.

Expect it to be far harder to get appointments as dentists will have to do far more cleaning and disinfecting between appointments.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

13 minutes ago, ckn said:

Dentists will reopen for face-to-face appointments from 8th June.

Expect it to be far harder to get appointments as dentists will have to do far more cleaning and disinfecting between appointments.

I did phone mine weeks ago to say my crown was broken or cracked.  She said they couldn't see me but she would put my name on the list to be called when they could see me.  So glad I did that now!

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

35 minutes ago, heartofGold said:

I did phone mine weeks ago to say my crown was broken or cracked.  She said they couldn't see me but she would put my name on the list to be called when they could see me.  So glad I did that now!

I assume they all must have got their PPE issues sorted out?  I have a cracked filling on a front tooth which came loose during the first week of lockdown and I went to a local private dentist (my own had already stopped seeing people) and he told me that he would be able to replace it as it had no decay but only if he could 'flick' it out as they couldn't drill.  It didn't come out and so I've been nurturing it ever since, avoiding any food going on that side of my mouth, hoping against hope it wouldn't fall out!  

I'm going to be on the phone tomorrow to see if I can grab an early appointment!  I'm happy to wait for my hairdresser in spite of looking like stone age woman but the dentist: I'll fight anyone who gets in my way!

1 hour ago, tim2 said:

With nearly 400 deaths it seems a bit early to me - nothing to do with politics, just my own risk aversion. I probably will go and see my daughter though. She's not had a great time in lockdown.

On a positive note, I cut my wife's hair today. I may well have been looking for somewhere else to live right now, but I think I got away with it.

It's more the (estimated) number of infections which worries me.  The deaths will continue to go down at this stage because it's the infections from a few weeks back filtering through the system (in a bad way, obvs).  But it's what is coming along as a result of the relaxation already implemented which concerns me.  Having said that, it may be that what the PM has done is simply legitimise what some people have already been doing.  I went to the park for my daily walk yesterday with a pal and I saw grandparents playing football with grandchildren and parents.  They appeared to be social distancing to be fair but that wasn't what the PM actually said to do.  Perhaps by legitimising this and reinforcing the distancing/handwashing/cleansing angle there will be greater buy-in?  Well, that's what I'm telling myself!  

On Look North West tonight it was reported that Blackpool appears to be experiencing a spike at the moment.  Their covid admissions are going up.  That isn't a good sign.  Given that Weston also had that problem, it may be that a couple more seaside towns could suffer the same fate although as yet I've not seen anything to suggest that.

9 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I assume they all must have got their PPE issues sorted out?  I have a cracked filling on a front tooth which came loose during the first week of lockdown and I went to a local private dentist (my own had already stopped seeing people) and he told me that he would be able to replace it as it had no decay but only if he could 'flick' it out as they couldn't drill.  It didn't come out and so I've been nurturing it ever since, avoiding any food going on that side of my mouth, hoping against hope it wouldn't fall out!  

I'm going to be on the phone tomorrow to see if I can grab an early appointment!  I'm happy to wait for my hairdresser in spite of looking like stone age woman but the dentist: I'll fight anyone who gets in my way!

? I'll be right behind you.  It's driving me crazy eating on one side.  By the time I get to the second half of a sandwich the bread has gone stale!  Apparently nothing mentioned about dentists in Scotland today though so feel sorry for them.

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

17 minutes ago, heartofGold said:

? I'll be right behind you.  It's driving me crazy eating on one side.  By the time I get to the second half of a sandwich the bread has gone stale!  Apparently nothing mentioned about dentists in Scotland today though so feel sorry for them.

I've got a routine appointment at the end of June. I might reschedule it later to open up a hole (as it were) for people with more urgent issues.

20 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

On Look North West tonight it was reported that Blackpool appears to be experiencing a spike at the moment.  Their covid admissions are going up.  That isn't a good sign.  Given that Weston also had that problem, it may be that a couple more seaside towns could suffer the same fate although as yet I've not seen anything to suggest that.

Good point. Whether its the Cummings fiasco or not, people are taking the law into their on hands. We went to the local woods for a walk yesterday. There's a local cafe in a portakabin that was doing "take away". People were sitting inside it and on the tables outside. I'm pretty sure neither of those is legit.

21 minutes ago, heartofGold said:

I love the line about the bread! ? 

The Scots don't need dentists do they?  I thought they were all made of girders!  (Maybe you have to be of a certain vintage to appreciate that line …)

2 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Good point. Whether its the Cummings fiasco or not, people are taking the law into their on hands. We went to the local woods for a walk yesterday. There's a local cafe in a portakabin that was doing "take away". People were sitting inside it and on the tables outside. I'm pretty sure neither of those is legit.

There have been people ignoring the rules all the way through but since the first easing of the lockdown I've noticed a few more incidents of it locally, though mostly it's been intergenerational stuff rather than not social distancing (unless it's teenagers or the local addicts, neither group seem to care at all).  

I was wondering if tonight is the last night of clap for carers, we could start a boo for Boris evening.  

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Jack daniels works a treat for toothache, i broke a big back tooth 3 weeks ago and it were sharp, so after a few minutes with the dremmle it was sorted,gave me a massive headache but smoothed the jagged bits down.? wife wernt too suited.

Well it is a multi tool!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

31 minutes ago, Copa said:

My local gym is reopening for booked 55 minute sessions tomorrow. I’m really looking forward to this.

Schools in Canberra are also back to normal from next week.

I wonder what percentage of those with gym memberships even noticed they were closed. 70%? 80%?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived