coronavirus

1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Sounds like you are talking through experience!! ?

When we lived in Chelmsford, we got a freebie year of gym membership for residents within 100m of a new gym. We went once, got the free towels, had a mess around on the equipment, saw that many treated it as a hook-up joint and the rest performing visual onanism on themselves in the mirrors with their muscles, and we didn't go back.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ckn said:

When we lived in Chelmsford, we got a freebie year of gym membership for residents within 100m of a new gym. We went once, got the free towels, had a mess around on the equipment, saw that many treated it as a hook-up joint and the rest performing visual onanism on themselves in the mirrors with their muscles, and we didn't go back.

I don’t even use the gym on camp; run outdoors and use body weight circuit sessions for strength. 

Worrying to hear the news of some schools being closed again in South Korea so quickly after opening. If a country, that was in a much better position to open them in the first place and deal with issues as they arise, has been forced to do this then it doesn't bode too well for here.

This is in addition to new restrictions again on the use of public spaces and tightening of social distancing due to spikes to cases. When South Korea are having these issues you know that things aren't going to be back to normal for a long, long time unless we get a vaccine.

11 minutes ago, ckn said:

and the rest performing visual onanism on themselves in the mirrors with their muscles

I briefly worked next to a gym in a converted factory unit, on warm days (basically if there wasn’t ice on the ground) they’d open the rolling shutter doors up “for ventilation “ and not so everyone could see them preening and posing. Not a bit. 

honestly, it was like a Right Said Fred video in there

Just now, Shadow said:

I briefly worked next to a gym in a converted factory unit, on warm days (basically if there wasn’t ice on the ground) they’d open the rolling shutter doors up “for ventilation “ and not so everyone could see them preening and posing. Not a bit. 

It's like those folk riding around in pimped up 1.1L Ford Fiestas with noisy exhausts. Everyone knows that there's just a little wiener in there who's overcompensating for having nothing else in life to boast about.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Worrying to hear the news of some schools being closed again in South Korea so quickly after opening. If a country, that was in a much better position to open them in the first place and deal with issues as they arise, has been forced to do this then it doesn't bode too well for here.

This is in addition to new restrictions again on the use of public spaces and tightening of social distancing due to spikes to cases. When South Korea are having these issues you know that things aren't going to be back to normal for a long, long time unless we get a vaccine.

I'd take it (vaguely) as a positive. For them. Not for us. We're totally screwed.

It's positive for them because the rates are low so potential spikes are obvious. They also have an effective track/trace/isolate operation in place that isn't backed up by citizens "doing the right thing" but by three month jail sentences if you try to avoid it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'd take it (vaguely) as a positive. For them. Not for us. We're totally screwed.

It's positive for them because the rates are low so potential spikes are obvious. They also have an effective track/trace/isolate operation in place that isn't backed up by citizens "doing the right thing" but by three month jail sentences if you try to avoid it.

Yes agreed and that is why I said about them being in a much better situation in the first place to open them and then deal with any issues. We are trying to implement end goals whilst missing out the key requirements and processes to get there.

There is a bit of hope.

The Government seem to have done badly, they have certainly implemented badly. But, we do not know how things will end up. Ideally, we would not be in the situation of having already had millions infected. But, that was likely to happen sooner or later. We cannot judge this overall for a couple of years, things might go relatively well by mistake.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

The scam texts have started, but then we expected that as there are people who'd exploit anything.

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

giphy.gif

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I was a bit reassured to hear that PHE thinks the reason for the outbreak at Weston Hospital was actually the staff accommodation.  Reassured because that suggests that maybe lots of people on beaches over the last four weeks hasn't had a local impact.  However, a number of the nursing staff who tested positive (but were asymptomatic) also visit nursing homes and people in the wider community which could be a problem.

The district where I live has a total population of 450k, but as yet there have been only 3 confirmed positive cases, all of whom have recovered. One of those three is the person on the right in this poster (deputy head of district).

972165339_20200528_170240-11.thumb.jpg.10adc67acba3f5061d0cb8a0ad9cac2f.jpg

Unfortunately, everyone here seems to be getting more complacent and things are getting back to normal, although schools are still closed.

13 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

The district where I live has a total population of 450k, but as yet there have been only 3 confirmed positive cases, all of whom have recovered. One of those three is the person on the right in this poster (deputy head of district).

972165339_20200528_170240-11.thumb.jpg.10adc67acba3f5061d0cb8a0ad9cac2f.jpg

Unfortunately, everyone here seems to be getting more complacent and things are getting back to normal, although schools are still closed.

agbrigg?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

7 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

agbrigg?

Unfortunately, the figures for Wakefield District are a little further down the line.

There are 745 confirmed cases in Wakefield, out of a local population of 348,312

In Wakefield there were 250 coronavirus-related deaths up to the 15 May. In this area 23% of all deaths involved coronavirus between 29 Feb and 15 May

4 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Unfortunately, the figures for Wakefield District are a little further down the line.

There are 745 confirmed cases in Wakefield, out of a local population of 348,312

In Wakefield there were 250 coronavirus-related deaths up to the 15 May. In this area 23% of all deaths involved coronavirus between 29 Feb and 15 May

The confirmed cases must look very dubious then. That there have been roughly 25,000 cases (largely undetected) is also a reasonable guess/estimate, i.e. about 7% of the population.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

The confirmed cases must look very dubious then. That there have been roughly 25,000 cases (largely undetected) is also a reasonable guess/estimate, i.e. about 7% of the population.

Got that from the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274

but the disparity may be that the confirmed cases were only those with positive tests. The deaths included all that mentioned covid on the death certificate. 

Suggests there's been next to no actual testing. 

1 hour ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Got that from the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51768274

but the disparity may be that the confirmed cases were only those with positive tests. The deaths included all that mentioned covid on the death certificate. 

Suggests there's been next to no actual testing. 

Seems I know/knew nearly 0.5% of the confirmed cases - 1 died (think he was the first death in the area, definitely in my town), 1 spent several weeks in ICU (currently still suffering greatly from the effects) and 1 (wife of ICU patient) seemingly fully recovered after only mild symptoms. All 3 have plots on my allotment site, but probably just a coincidence as they weren't on much more than nodding terms after an incident with a chicken...….

On 28/05/2020 at 21:42, silverback said:

Jack daniels works a treat for toothache, i broke a big back tooth 3 weeks ago and it were sharp, so after a few minutes with the dremmle it was sorted,gave me a massive headache but smoothed the jagged bits down.? wife wernt too suited.

Once, when I had toothache, I took the advice of a friend and it worked well.  It was to soak a dried clove in whisky and then just manoeuvre it with your tongue to be against the point of pain as much as possible.  By all means go for the simpler option of drinking lots of whisky (or, if you must, whiskey), but this allows you the chance to stay sober and thus do something else too!

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Once, when I had toothache, I took the advice of a friend and it worked well.  It was to soak a dried clove in whisky and then just manoeuvre it with your tongue to be against the point of pain as much as possible.  By all means go for the simpler option of drinking lots of whisky (or, if you must, whiskey), but this allows you the chance to stay sober and thus do something else too!

Or you can just buy some clove oil. Watch the movie 'Marathon Man' for tips on usage.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

Or you can just buy some clove oil. Watch the movie 'Marathon Man' for tips on usage.

Good point, Futtocks, but I suspect our shelves at home wouldn't normally contain clove oil, whereas they would include dried cloves and whisky...for culinary purposes, you understand! (eg the latter to make cranachan - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranachan )

Well, OK, and an occasional bedtime dram.  Slainte mhath!

Archived