coronavirus

Meanwhile, in the USA...

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441

http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fceda2568-a8f2-11ea-a766-7c300513fe47?fit=scale-down&quality=highest&source=next&width=1260

As a whole, it appears that the death toll in the USA is reducing, but that includes the anomaly that is New York. This graph from the FT shows that, excluding NY, the death rate is reducing, but only slowly, primed for a second wave?

With the rises in South America, Asia and now Africa, it looks like the global death rate is about to increase too and surpass the mid-April peak from Europe.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schools reopening: Why primary schools in England may not open fully until September under new UK lockdown plans

Schools have said classroom sizes, social distancing regulations and inadequate staff numbers mean they cannot accommodate all pupils

https://inews.co.uk/news/schools-reopening-primary-england-uk-not-open-years-september-lockdown-plans-summer-holidays-441723

Common sense making an all too rare appearance, I think it maybe just a cameo role though.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 06/06/2020 at 22:24, henage said:

The lockdown is now a farce . 

I think that was the cunning plan but you should check that with Baldrick!

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Of course you are. Here's how you can do it:  https://www.createaforum.com/free-forum.php

Not true John but now I know where you spend your time, at least. Opinions are for elsewhere though as you point out.

I thought you had something to add to 50,000 deaths.

This is from the Daily Mail

image.png.f0eda3a022916285c969282aff6cdf4f.png

It's from an article about getting children back into school, but not once does it mention the Government guidelines, the physical make up of schools to work around this, nor does it make any reference to the adults in schools. The chances and probability involved may now be small like it says but I don't think that's relevant when you're the one, image.png.bf2bb54c19a6394f76ce4efd14156015.png in whatever the other number is.

48 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

How Covid-19 has impacted on three English seaside towns, Yarmouth, Blackpool & HASTINGS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52924185

Hastings had the second-lowest rate of Covid-19 deaths in England and Wales in the six weeks to the middle of April, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

https://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/health/coronavirus/hastings-had-second-lowest-covid-19-death-rate-england-and-wales-figures-reveal-2669777

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Hastings had the second-lowest rate of Covid-19 deaths in England and Wales in the six weeks to the middle of April, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

https://www.hastingsobserver.co.uk/health/coronavirus/hastings-had-second-lowest-covid-19-death-rate-england-and-wales-figures-reveal-2669777

Because the unemployment rate is relatively high, the shops being closed & public transport up the creek, no one has bothered going out, apart from food shopping.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Can't have it both ways. No one was supposed to go out.  

My personal view is that Hastings dodged a bullet because the weekends before lockdown were foul weatherwise - and then in the last one, nobody really travelled to here. Combine that with its comparative remoteness and lack of people just passing through and you have a reasonably low risk compared to many other places.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Elsewhere on these boards I was mocked for suggesting that travel could have been a factor in the spreading of Covid 19 in the UK (thinking at the time about the February half term break).  Well, it appears that some scientists agree with me.  Specifically the Covid 19 Genomics consortium no less:

[The researchers] found the UK's coronavirus epidemic did not have one origin - but at least 1,356 origins. On each of those occasions somebody brought the infection into the UK from abroad and the virus began to spread as a result.

"The surprising and exciting conclusion is that we found the UK epidemic has resulted from a very large number of separate importations," said Prof Nick Loman, from Cog-UK and the University of Birmingham.

"It wasn't a patient zero," he added.

The study showed that less than 0.1% of those imported cases came directly from China. Instead the UK's coronavirus epidemic was largely initiated by travel from Italy in late February, Spain in early-to-mid-March and then France in mid-to-late-March.

"The big surprise for us was how fluid the process was, the rate of and source of virus introduction shifted rapidly over the course of only a few weeks," said Prof Oliver Pybus, from the University of Oxford.

28 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Elsewhere on these boards I was mocked for suggesting that travel could have been a factor in the spreading of Covid 19 in the UK (thinking at the time about the February half term break).  Well, it appears that some scientists agree with me.  Specifically the Covid 19 Genomics consortium no less:

I can't imagine that's correct SL everyone has been aware that travel was one of the problems when it came to spreading Covid, probably just as crucial as footballl matches and race meetings. Do you think they might have given you the rounds of the kitchen for some other reason?

57 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Well.....2 + 2 equals 4 surprisingly and there was only 1 person on this board who saw it

20,000 people per day were transiting from Spain and its now news?

And there wasn't a patient zero, or in your words a super-spreader, as was repeated

5 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Well.....2 + 2 equals 4 surprisingly and there was only 1 person on this board who saw it

20,000 people per day were transiting from Spain and its now news?

And there wasn't a patient zero, or in your words a super-spreader, as was repeated

There was a super spreader.  He even put his face in the papers.  There will have been a few of them I would imagine.  Other countries have had them too.  Scientists have been reporting of late that most of the devastation of this virus could be down to super spreaders and also super spreading events (not social events, but sickness spreading events) such as choirs, gyms and active dance classes - where people breathe deeply in enclosed spaces in close proximity to others.

What is news is that the scientists have found that this is how we first got the virus.  Other countries have been able to identify a patient zero: the first person to transmit the virus into the country.  We had over 1,000 of them in quick succession and very close to when we locked down.  But we have also had a high number of strains of the virus, as research released last week showed, which will be how the researchers in this study have been able to come to the conclusion they have because they have tracked those different strains to different countries as have been listed in the article.

Archived