coronavirus

8 minutes ago, ckn said:

Medical commentary is a bit worried about this drug’s hype. It works very well in the most seriously ill of patients but has enough significant risks of its own that it will not be prescribed to any other COVID patient without them being likely to die without it. If you’ve a good chance of survival then you’ll not get it.

Our GP practices have been pushed very hard in the last few days from patients demanding it be prescribed to them. And getting very angry when told “no”.

The framing that this was a new practice (almost a new drug in some versions) didn't help, especially when I was seeing doctors not being quoted in the press saying they had been using it as part of their arsenal anyway.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, ckn said:

Medical commentary is a bit worried about this drug’s hype. It works very well in the most seriously ill of patients but has enough significant risks of its own that it will not be prescribed to any other COVID patient without them being likely to die without it. If you’ve a good chance of survival then you’ll not get it.

Our GP practices have been pushed very hard in the last few days from patients demanding it be prescribed to them. And getting very angry when told “no”.

I've got some in my kitchen drawer, it gets prescribed for a recurring eye problem I have. I might go out on the mean streets of Wiltshire and see what I can get for it

Don't know if this has been reported before but worrying info form friend whose daughter is the nurse on a covid ward who caught it 

She def had it as had symptoms and was tested at time

Now she has had a regular retest (part of a research programme) but is showing zip zero zilch antibodies, they even retested both the sample and a 2nd sample.

That is within a month or so

Surely if the antibodies are lasting <1mth we are unlikely to develop immunity against reinfection

(Yes i know this is a single piece of evidence but I had not seen it before - I also only have it form the mother of the person but she tends to be trustworthy and intelligent )

43 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Don't know if this has been reported before but worrying info form friend whose daughter is the nurse on a covid ward who caught it 

Now she has had a regular retest (part of a research programme) but is showing zip zero zilch antibodies, they even retested both the sample and a 2nd sample.

Surely if the antibodies are lasting <1mth we are unlikely to develop immunity against reinfection

(Yes i know this is a single piece of evidence but I had not seen it before - I also only have it form the mother of the person but she tends to be trustworthy and intelligent )

Have seen it reported before that not everyone who has had it develops antibodies. I think the volunteers donating for the plasma trials were selected on the basis that they'd shown a 'large' antibody response. 

3 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

If memory serves, the scientists have said that antibodies usually show up around 28 days after infection so maybe there simply hasn't been enough time since your friend was infected?  Mind you, I also saw an article  last week some time in which it was reported that scientists in various countries are finding people who had the milder disease were not all registering antibodies when they were tested for them.    

I also saw an interview with a scientist who is involved in developing a vaccine (as yet not funded by government) directed towards T cells.  Because I'm not a scientist I won't write anything more about it because I'll just make a fool of myself but for those interested here is an article that appears to know what it is talking about on the subject of T cells and Covid.  Hopefully the scientists among you will be able to point out any flaws in that article, should there be any.

I enjoyed listening to Dame Dido at the press conference today.  She sounds on top of her brief and the track and trace system sounds like it is properly bedding in now.  They've got their work cut out IMO given our new infections seem to have got stuck at around 1,200 a day.  Apparently there are outbreaks in Leicestershire, Kirklees and Anglesey at the moment.  Hopefully they will all be put down without any wider impact. 

4 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

Although not CV-19, there's this report of a study on human immunity to other coronaviruses https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8349667/Coronavirus-immunity-six-months-casting-fresh-doubt-immunity-passports.html  which potentially only lasts for a short period of time following infection.

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

If memory serves, the scientists have said that antibodies usually show up around 28 days after infection so maybe there simply hasn't been enough time since your friend was infected?  Mind you, I also saw an article  last week some time in which it was reported that scientists in various countries are finding people who had the milder disease were not all registering antibodies when they were tested for them.    

I also saw an interview with a scientist who is involved in developing a vaccine (as yet not funded by government) directed towards T cells.  Because I'm not a scientist I won't write anything more about it because I'll just make a fool of myself but for those interested here is an article that appears to know what it is talking about on the subject of T cells and Covid.  Hopefully the scientists among you will be able to point out any flaws in that article, should there be any.

The test was taken at the point when she should have had max antibodies - about 28 days after recovery, she also has none a week after that

42 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

The test was taken at the point when she should have had max antibodies - about 28 days after recovery, she also has none a week after that

There was a programme on R4 last Sunday where the stats behind the antibody test were discussed. Although I can't remember the exact numbers, the statistician explaining said that the claim of 'accuracy' was based on a subset of around 28 results from a total of around 1500 in total, and that he viewed the claim as somewhat flawed. 

Threat level just reduced from 4 to 3. From BBC Live:

The UK's coronavirus alert level has been downgraded from four to three.

Under level three, the virus is now considered to be "in general circulation" and there could be a "gradual relaxation of restrictions".

Previously transmission was considered "high or rising exponentially".

On 15/06/2020 at 12:57, gingerjon said:

Rejoice! The public toilets of Hastings have reopened!

I can confirm that the public toilets in Withernsea are also open.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

16 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

There was a programme on R4 last Sunday where the stats behind the antibody test were discussed. Although I can't remember the exact numbers, the statistician explaining said that the claim of 'accuracy' was based on a subset of around 28 results from a total of around 1500 in total, and that he viewed the claim as somewhat flawed. 

That programme would probably be More or less. It is usually an interesting listen.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Rodill Rover said:

I have not heard of Track and Trace being scrapped. I know of 2 people working shifts on it for the last 2 weeks including today.

Its the app I refer to, they have moved towards using the Apple/Google model instead which will likely only function on certain models of phone.

39 minutes ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Its the app I refer to, they have moved towards using the Apple/Google model instead which will likely only function on certain models of phone.

They haven't abandoned it.  They are trying to work a combination of the identified strengths of both systems.  They've been trialling both systems in the Isle of White.  However, the core of any track and trace system is the human side of it and it may well be that there won't be an App.  Germany has only just introduced its App (they changed courses too) and only 10% of the population downloaded it in the first week.  

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

That programme would probably be More or less. It is usually an interesting listen.

Yes pretty sure that's what it was (just couldn't remember the name when I posted!). As you say, usually pretty interesting and informative about many things. Said they'd covered the figures for 'swab' tests the week before. Hope to catch up both on i Player at some point.

47 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

They haven't abandoned it.  They are trying to work a combination of the identified strengths of both systems.  They've been trialling both systems in the Isle of White.  However, the core of any track and trace system is the human side of it and it may well be that there won't be an App.  Germany has only just introduced its App (they changed courses too) and only 10% of the population downloaded it in the first week.  

Be honest now: are you now - or have you ever been - a newsreader on North Korean TV?

45 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Yes pretty sure that's what it was (just couldn't remember the name when I posted!). As you say, usually pretty interesting and informative about many things. Said they'd covered the figures for 'swab' tests the week before. Hope to catch up both on i Player at some point.

You can download all episodes as podcasts from BBCsounds or any other podcast app.

You can listen to all back episodes. 

They've just added 2 more weeks to the series. 

Does anyone else find it a little concerning that the number of newly reported cases has gone back up today from yesterday or that there seems to be a bit of an uptick on hospital admissions?  I just wondered.

On a lighter note, I have just bought a Saints face covering. ?   It was pricey mind you!  But it actually fits and, unlike ASDA's washable effort, doesn't slide down my face when I speak. 

5 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Sorry Trevor my mistake, I thought you meant the one where positive test cases were contacted directly for details of recent contacts.

5 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Germany's 10% take up is a bonus on top of the success (in relative terms) they've had compared to other countries

We've seen that Germany had an Antibody test in place by the end of January, and 350k test capacity in February. The UK was in frivolous mode at this stage

Germany does not need to depend on an App as much as the UK. Meanwhile the UK might get there on the App by winter.....and is much more important to its strategy as other stuff, apart from the drug discovery, and is still (but presumably all other countries are now on the case of that one) behind where it needs to be

4 hours ago, Rodill Rover said:
10 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Sorry Trevor my mistake, I thought you meant the one where positive test cases were contacted directly for details of recent contacts.

Having said that, it now appears that both Apple and Google are denying any knowledge of this or any contact about it with HMG!

Archived