coronavirus

11 hours ago, Trevorkfevfan said:

Having said that, it now appears that both Apple and Google are denying any knowledge of this or any contact about it with HMG!

It also appears the issue is that Apple in particular will only allow access to their full API if any partner agrees to robust data security processes - we would not agree so did not have full access and guess what it therefore didnt work well with Apples

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coronavirus is, of course, forcing us all to queue to get into shops and so it was that, yesterday afternoon, I found myself outside a Salisbury supermarket.

Turning round, I noticed that the man who had joined behind me was wearing a dark blue top, with the three crowns of Oxford University and a '13' in between them.  Underneath were the initials 'OURLFC'.  I was wearing my Catalans Dragons celebratory, cup-winners polo shirt, and we got talking.

He turned out to be a physio for the varsity RL club.  He sounded pretty upbeat about the immediate future of university RL, and added that, for his club, the highlights of the year were usually the local derbies against Oxford Brookes University and, needless to say, the varsity match clash with Cambridge.

He was very complimentary about one of the Leeds Rhino medical team - I think he said someone called Andy Bacon - from whom he had learnt a lot.

He said his favourite playing ground was the Honourable Artillery Club in London.  I think he may have been there with the Royal Navy's RL team, as it sounded as if he had a similar role with them.

Then we got to the front of the queue and went our separate ways inside the store.  But what a small world!  What chance, I wonder, of two RL followers being next to each other (2m apart of course!) in a shop queue in deepest, southernmost Wiltshire!

17 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Coronavirus is, of course, forcing us all to queue to get into shops and so it was that, yesterday afternoon, I found myself outside a Salisbury supermarket.

Turning round, I noticed that the man who had joined behind me was wearing a dark blue top, with the three crowns of Oxford University and a '13' in between them.  Underneath were the initials 'OURLFC'.  I was wearing my Catalans Dragons celebratory, cup-winners polo shirt, and we got talking.

He turned out to be a physio for the varsity RL club.  He sounded pretty upbeat about the immediate future of university RL, and added that, for his club, the highlights of the year were usually the local derbies against Oxford Brookes University and, needless to say, the varsity match clash with Cambridge.

He was very complimentary about one of the Leeds Rhino medical team - I think he said someone called Andy Bacon - from whom he had learnt a lot.

He said his favourite playing ground was the Honourable Artillery Club in London.  I think he may have been there with the Royal Navy's RL team, as it sounded as if he had a similar role with them.

Then we got to the front of the queue and went our separate ways inside the store.  But what a small world!  What chance, I wonder, of two RL followers being next to each other (2m apart of course!) in a shop queue in deepest, southernmost Wiltshire!

Sounds more genteel than my southern RL engagement. I lve near in a small town in Essex  & bumped into a Wire fan whilst  wearing a  Leeds jersey.   All that happens now when I see him is a) he boos me  &  b) I holler "its always your year" at him.

All in jest,, I'm sure ?

While our COVID-19 scenario is improving, albeit slowly, other parts of the world are just hitting their first peak. For example, India is on its way to a monster of a death toll going by the infection rate increase, and their national health service is already turning away COVID patients due to over-capacity.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

34 minutes ago, ckn said:

While our COVID-19 scenario is improving, albeit slowly, other parts of the world are just hitting their first peak. For example, India is on its way to a monster of a death toll going by the infection rate increase, and their national health service is already turning away COVID patients due to over-capacity.

Saw that about India... Pakistan growing quickly too. Brazil going through the roof... the worldwide death toll is going to rise very quickly once deaths start to rise in India. 

If the government relaxes the 2 m rule, and opens pubs, I will not be rushing to my local in the next month or so. Mainly because my locals are quite scuzzy anyway.

There will be a second spike in the UK because relaxation of rules are too soon. We are still having deaths, and no one seems to care. All they are interested about is business cash & the economy, stuff the safety of the public, typical Tory ideas, cash before the public.

7 hours ago, bulldog_paddy said:

Sounds more genteel than my southern RL engagement. I lve near in a small town in Essex  & bumped into a Wire fan whilst  wearing a  Leeds jersey.   All that happens now when I see him is a) he boos me  &  b) I holler "its always your year" at him.

All in jest,, I'm sure ?

You're right, bp, it was very genteel, as you would expect; this is Salisbury and it was Waitrose.  Of course, one could never call me a snob, but I don't like the idea of queueing outside Lidl or Aldi; somebody I know might pass by and see me!

37 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

You're right, bp, it was very genteel, as you would expect; this is Salisbury and it was Waitrose.  Of course, one could never call me a snob, but I don't like the idea of queueing outside Lidl or Aldi; somebody I know might pass by and see me!

Isn't there a danger they might think you were queueing for Sports Direct? 

13 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Isn't there a danger they might think you were queueing for Sports Direct? 

Good point, Shadow, but they cleverly had the queue on the non-Sports Direct side of the entrance.

1 hour ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Good point, Shadow, but they cleverly had the queue on the non-Sports Direct side of the entrance.

That’s a relief. Imagine being thought of as the type of chap that wears Lonsdale sports attire. 

10 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Saw that about India... Pakistan growing quickly too. Brazil going through the roof... the worldwide death toll is going to rise very quickly once deaths start to rise in India. 

That's why we need the two-week quarantine.

7 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

If the government relaxes the 2 m rule, and opens pubs, I will not be rushing to my local in the next month or so. Mainly because my locals are quite scuzzy anyway.

There will be a second spike in the UK because relaxation of rules are too soon. We are still having deaths, and no one seems to care. All they are interested about is business cash & the economy, stuff the safety of the public, typical Tory ideas, cash before the public.

I think most European countries are still having deaths. The Netherlands have today reported their first 24 hours without a reported death from Covid since the beginning of March.  France has a higher number of people still in hospital than we do.  I'm nervous myself about changing the 2m rule but I think for a different reason than you.  I'd say most people are not sticking to it socially and so what is still keeping us relatively safe is the fact that organisations have to (unless it seems you are working in a meat processing factory).  I feel sorry for the small shops that have paid money out for signage, etc, only to have to abandon it all just a few weeks later.  That's assuming the rule is going to be changed.  It may not be.  The government has come under tremendous pressure from the hospitality industry, media and some MPs to change it though and so I'll be surprised if they resist given the state of the economy.

I would imagine winter will be the time when a second wave comes, if it comes at all.

I don't know what I'm meant to be doing anymore.  Been working from home since April.  I'm not shielding.  Do I just carry on at home?

In the blink of an eye it could all be taken away.  Be grateful always.

1 hour ago, GeordieSaint said:

Flexibility is a principle of war SL... ?

... country of origin dependent in my opinion.

I agree, which is why I said what I did in response to the particular post I was responding to!  India, Pakistan, almost all of South America, the USA, possibly Russia … these are all places where Covid is in take off mode and so we need a (properly reinforced) two week quarantine in place.  It's ridiculous to impose it on, say, Greece where they could probably count Covid deaths on one hand.  

1 hour ago, heartofGold said:

I don't know what I'm meant to be doing anymore.  Been working from home since April.  I'm not shielding.  Do I just carry on at home?

If you are able to work at home, yes. 

The attempts to get people back into workplaces are for those who can't work at home. 

12 hours ago, heartofGold said:

If you can WFH, carry on. Our company, which went into lockdown before the official announcement, just cancelled our contract at the serviced offices we had in central London. We're not even looking for new premises yet, and won't be 'til real progress has been made in combating the virus.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

If you can WFH, carry on. Our company, which went into lockdown before the official announcement, just cancelled our contract at the serviced offices we had in central London. We're not even looking for new premises yet, and won't be 'til real progress has been made in combating the virus.

This proves a point. Why do certain industries need offices, most desk based work can easily be performed from home, if the employers paid for internet & phone services at home, they would save money, keep the business afloat, and employees can work in their pyjamas. Pajamas?

Archived