coronavirus

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I’m guessing here but in a normal track and trace situation the others that would be promoted to self isolate wouldn’t have been tested. In view of the footballer they’re all getting regular tests - that may have something to do with it

Yes I thought myself regular testing may explain it.Then I thought that one player tests positive and the rest of the squad go home to their families.Could they have the virus but too soon to show in tests.As I say,I don't know and am just asking the question

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

I think I must be missing something here, but I'm sure someone on here will put me right.

Now football has started again,if a player tests positive he self isolates.Under test track and trace rules,why don't the whole squad have to self isolate?

Doesn't football have other mitigations in place though?  For track and trace the contacts have to be close contacts, namely someone you have been within a metre of for 15 minutes or more.  As far as I was aware, once the players are off the pitch they have to maintain social distance, wear a mask, etc.  And they travel to and from the stadium on their own don't they?  Or they did anyway.  

Germany took the view that the whole team has to self isolate when one player tests positive because that happened when they first started up their league again.  I suppose it depends what other mitigations there are in place as to whether a player in the British game would consider running around a field outside to be close contact and thus require the whole team to self isolate.

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

Doesn't football have other mitigations in place though?  For track and trace the contacts have to be close contacts, namely someone you have been within a metre of for 15 minutes or more.  As far as I was aware, once the players are off the pitch they have to maintain social distance, wear a mask, etc.  And they travel to and from the stadium on their own don't they?  Or they did anyway.  

Germany took the view that the whole team has to self isolate when one player tests positive because that happened when they first started up their league again.  I suppose it depends what other mitigations there are in place as to whether a player in the British game would consider running around a field outside to be close contact and thus require the whole team to self isolate.

They can ' run around outside ' all they want , they all then enter a changing room pre , post and at half time 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They can ' run around outside ' all they want , they all then enter a changing room pre , post and at half time 

But are they required to be 2m apart in the changing rooms?  If they go there that is.  I no longer know what they do.  When they first started training their routines were explained in some detail in the media.  No idea what their mitigations are now, if they have any (which they should otherwise they could end up with nobody able to play!).

6 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

8 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Suppose we will see what happens if a family member becomes infected.Hopefully this won't happen.

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I am sick to death of telling people about the 2m rule, no one seems to give a f### in Hastings about any safety measures, no one wears a mask, and the bus drivers are wishy-washy about passengers wearing masks, it seems if you have breasts, and are under 30, you dont have to wear a mask.

2 passengers on buses I have been on this week have been in their 20's & female & not wearing a mask. Ooh they have boobies, so that's ok?

They are actually breaking the law so you could make a fuss if you felt so inclined.  The bus driver is an idiot as well given how many of them died from Covid during the peak.

We aren't alone in this though.  Italy, France, Spain … they all had the same problem the minute lock down began easing.  People will struggle to relate once they have the freedom to go where they please.

At the weekend I had some flowers delivered.  When I opened the door the delivery guy was standing back from the door and I asked him to put the flowers on my step, as I stood back.  He laughed and said everyone he had called on that day had completely forgotten about doing the leaving stuff on the step thing.  People have lost their fear, or some have anyway, and so they just act naturally.  That's why IMO it is very important that businesses stick rigidly to the rules; it is businesses which will help or hinder the control of the virus.  While the guidance given by the government is just that - guidance - it is enforceable by HSE as Covid is a communicable disease.  (That's according to the guidance we have received at work anyway)

The most dangerous place of course is the home.  

7 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

But are they required to be 2m apart in the changing rooms?  If they go there that is.  I no longer know what they do.  When they first started training their routines were explained in some detail in the media.  No idea what their mitigations are now, if they have any (which they should otherwise they could end up with nobody able to play!).

Have you ever been in a changing room ? , Not a cat in hells ?

3 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

They are actually breaking the law so you could make a fuss if you felt so inclined.  The bus driver is an idiot as well given how many of them died from Covid during the peak.

We aren't alone in this though.  Italy, France, Spain … they all had the same problem the minute lock down began easing.  People will struggle to relate once they have the freedom to go where they please.

At the weekend I had some flowers delivered.  When I opened the door the delivery guy was standing back from the door and I asked him to put the flowers on my step, as I stood back.  He laughed and said everyone he had called on that day had completely forgotten about doing the leaving stuff on the step thing.  People have lost their fear, or some have anyway, and so they just act naturally.  That's why IMO it is very important that businesses stick rigidly to the rules; it is businesses which will help or hinder the control of the virus.  While the guidance given by the government is just that - guidance - it is enforceable by HSE as Covid is a communicable disease.  (That's according to the guidance we have received at work anyway)

The most dangerous place of course is the home.  

A little story from today , nothing to do with covid , but funny 

Started a job today in Warrington , youngish guy , mid 30s , an accountant , arm in a sling from falling off his bike last week , anyway his boss picked him up to take him to work , ( he has been working at home ) , about 40 minutes later a delivery books turned up with some food in a little paper bag , confirmed the address and left , 3 polystyrene trays with doorstep toast covered in loads of chess , it was very nice 

About 30 minutes later my phone rang , it was Ben , the customer " have you eaten my breakfast ?  , " Yes I replied , can we have some bacon on it tomorrow " , " bstards " he replied ?, he'd ordered it for work , but they'd delivered it to his house ??

It looks like a few European countries are wrestling with new outbreaks of Covid at the moment.  So far Germany, Portugal, Belgium and Spain are finding themselves having local difficulties.  France appears to be doing ok at the moment.

All this craziness at the beach again … people really need to get back to work and children need to be in school.  I do hope the government is able to arrange some travel corridors this summer because heaven knows how we are going to cope if everyone has to do a staycation.  

7 hours ago, Saintslass said:

All this craziness at the beach again … people really need to get back to work and children need to be in school.  I do hope the government is able to arrange some travel corridors this summer because heaven knows how we are going to cope if everyone has to do a staycation.  

Everyone should be back to work and school when it is safe to do so, and the right provisions have been made. Some maybe don't have their jobs either.

However, the public has to take responsibility for themselves and think of the situation we are in. There are millions of ways of occupying ourselves and enjoying the good weather rather than all arriving at hotpots. You have to feel for the police, medical services and council workers who have to deal with the aftermath from those don't have an ounce of responsibility in them. The UK exports 1000's of alcohol fuelled, littering idiots to the beaches of Europe and cruise ships each year for a couple of weeks. Now we have to cope with them ourselves - and what we've seen the past few days has been the result. 1000's travelled by train - when it should be only essential travel

The language around going out and enjoying yourself hasn't been helpful either. Europe has had its highest number of infections for months - caution is necessary

1 hour ago, shaun mc said:

Everyone should be back to work and school when it is safe to do so, and the right provisions have been made. Some maybe don't have their jobs either.

However, the public has to take responsibility for themselves and think of the situation we are in. There are millions of ways of occupying ourselves and enjoying the good weather rather than all arriving at hotpots. You have to feel for the police, medical services and council workers who have to deal with the aftermath from those don't have an ounce of responsibility in them. The UK exports 1000's of alcohol fuelled, littering idiots to the beaches of Europe and cruise ships each year for a couple of weeks. Now we have to cope with them ourselves - and what we've seen the past few days has been the result. 1000's travelled by train - when it should be only essential travel

The language around going out and enjoying yourself hasn't been helpful either. Europe has had its highest number of infections for months - caution is necessary

The only positive I can take is that all this bunching was being done in the open air which, by the little we seem to know, is massively safer than any equivalent indoors.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

We've had one of our experts (Jenny Harries) going to great lengths telling us how low the risk is outdoors and how difficult to catch this is.

We've had MP's shouting for weeks now about only needing to be 1m away from others.

We've had the PM for the last week begging us to get out and enjoy ourselves.

Why wouldn't we see this? There has been no caution in the messaging.

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We've had one of our experts (Jenny Harries) going to great lengths telling us how low the risk is outdoors and how difficult to catch this is.

We've had MP's shouting for weeks now about only needing to be 1m away from others.

We've had the PM for the last week begging us to get out and enjoy ourselves.

Why wouldn't we see this? There has been no caution in the messaging.

Combine that with the high numbers of people on furlough, or now unemployed/between contracts and with kids at home ... and the beach is free.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Combine that with the high numbers of people on furlough, or now unemployed/between contracts and with kids at home ... and the beach is free.

and everything else is closed even for those with money to spend.

2 hours ago, shaun mc said:

However, the public has to take responsibility for themselves and think of the situation we are in.

Yes exactly . Good common sense ain’t always that common . It’s been worrying things have been fraying for a while . And this virus isn’t that clever it understands what your reasoning is .

2 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Europe has had its highest number of infections for months - caution is necessary

Yes the warning signs are there 

32 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There has been no caution in the messaging.

Yes , that’s the climate that’s been created and the messaging hasn’t always been clear or consistent . Give people an inch and they can take a mile in the end  . I must say I’m very concerned about everything coming back , after all we’ve been through . But this time we can’t say we weren’t warned or didn’t see it coming 

I'm not going to get into judgemental views over the actions of people. For me, there's enough information out there now for them to be making their own decisions. It's no longer the government's problem, it's one of personal decision.

I see the daily stats and enough signs that I wouldn't be on those beaches if you paid me a good sum of money to do so. Up to you if you want to do so, but stay the hell away from me and mine.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes exactly . Good common sense ain’t always that common . It’s been worrying things have been fraying for a while . And this virus isn’t that clever it understands what your reasoning is .

Yes the warning signs are there 

Yes , that’s the climate that’s been created and the messaging hasn’t always been clear or consistent . Give people an inch and they can take a mile in the end  . I must say I’m very concerned about everything coming back , after all we’ve been through . But this time we can’t say we weren’t warned or didn’t see it coming 

On the messaging, it has been far more cautious in Scotland, but still the beaches and parks are packed. That said, social distancing has still been adhered to in the main by the average person, but I think the beaches in Edinburgh serve far smaller populations than some of the ones that serve London and surrounding areas.

The one bit that is frustrating, is huge groups - there is no ambiguity there, they are just breaking the rules, I'm not talking about 8 or 9 people, I am talking groups of 20 or 30.

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

I'm not going to get into judgemental views over the actions of people. For me, there's enough information out there now for them to be making their own decisions. It's no longer the government's problem, it's one of personal decision.

I see the daily stats and enough signs that I wouldn't be on those beaches if you paid me a good sum of money to do so. Up to you if you want to do so, but stay the hell away from me and mine.

I wouldn't be on a beach that crowded at the best of times, add the potential of a potentially deadly virus and no facilities and you couldn't get me down there for anything short of mortgage clearing money. 

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Yes, I have made an effort during the last 3 months to refrain from judging people, its been a tough time and people have had to make their own decisions. 

But right now I am getting peed off with my own family. We were hoping that over the next few weeks we would be able to head down and visit them for the first time this year, but when you see them posting photos together (despite claiming they are social distancing) and hearing that they are sharing cars, visiting each other etc. I will quite happily tell them that we wont be going down for another month or so until well after we are allowed.

I'll take care of my little family, if that means we are over-cautious, I will live with that. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'll take care of my little family, if that means we are over-cautious, I will live with that. 

I had a similar conversation with Tiny Ginger yesterday. He's now 12 (somehow, how did that happen?) and had watched the news, and was really worried about what it would mean for Mrs Ginger who remains extremely vulnerable to the disease because of her breathing 'issues'. We talked through how we would carry on following social distancing, how we wouldn't be going anywhere busy, how the only people we would visit would be people who we could guarantee were being similarly over-cautious etc etc.

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

, if that means we are over-cautious, I will live with that. 

All you can do . I didn’t go anywhere bar hospital for 3 months . Even now I’ve no real desire to go anywhere that I’d consider trivial or unnecessary . My next door neighbour is vulnerable and she’s still not going out even though she can ... ‘ I don’t trust Boris ‘ she told me ! 

21 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I wouldn't be on a beach that crowded at the best of times, add the potential of a potentially deadly virus and no facilities and you couldn't get me down there for anything short of mortgage clearing money. 

As we're down to five years of mortgage left, that's a sum that would not be enough for me. That said, maybe a brand new house with a swimming pool and a couple of acres of garden may get me on the beach, albeit in full PPE and with a squirty anti-viral spray bottle in one hand and massive alcohol gel bottle in the other.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Archived