coronavirus

On 12/06/2020 at 09:48, Wholly Trinity said:

Indeed. It's difficult to tell exactly what's going on in a specific country, the graphs only give clues for further investigation. I have no inside knowledge of the actual position in Iran.

It could be that they've increased testing but then changed the way they report deaths.

It could be that they eased measures and increased testing but there was a lag to increasing deaths because people were still cautious at first.

As you say, it would seem that the deaths are creeping back up again now.

image.png.83bf5bd957eab4beacc250d85edd1fba.png

That 2nd Iranian peak is real and potentially worse than the first - emphasising how important it is to very quickly react to any sign of a growth in cases

iran-.png

iran-d.png

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find striking about that is this idea that Iran is seeing a horrendous disaster unfold, but those daily death rates have, at this point, never been significantly higher than what the UK levels are now. Granted that ours are at least going down.

On 14/06/2020 at 12:41, JohnM said:

Our eyes are more or less the only ones in most of Europe that don't see a cost breakdown of their treatment, so yes, it does sound odd. 

In the example quoted in this thread, that's what it is. A cost breakdown, not a bill. 

I cannot say that I have seen it in Europe, but I have been lucky perhaps.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

On 23/06/2020 at 14:48, ckn said:

We've detailed internal stuff on this. Where you're just WFH on a knowledge-worker basis stuck in front of a computer and getting no work visitors to your house:

council tax, no issue

home insurance, no issue

public and employers liability insurance, no issue as long as you've made sure your employees have good working environment if more than occasional WFH.

utility bills, no issue

restrictive covenants, it's all dependent on the covenant but it'd have to be a rare one of utmost pedantry to be a real issue

data security, a genuine issue albeit less of one in the data age of using VPNs, highly secure email and so on.

Some sites that had relaxed over here are getting stricter again. My meeting at a client site tomorrow has been cancelled and masks are now compulsary on their site. It think it is a sign that it is not containable in Denmark.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Our first local lockdown is now officially happening, in Leicester and surrounding burbs.  Apparently that area accounted for 10% of all positive cases during the last week, positive cases are three times higher than the next highest city, and hospital admissions are rising.  Schools are being closed except for key worker and vulnerable children; non-essential shops are being closed back down; none of the changes due to take place at the weekend will happen in the area; only essential travel allowed and shielding people are to remain shielding.  The lockdown is to be reviewed in two weeks' time.

I think a dose of reality is needed.  Personally, I would also like to see the government make the wearing of face coverings mandatory in all indoor public settings.

29 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Our first local lockdown is now officially happening, in Leicester and surrounding burbs.  Apparently that area accounted for 10% of all positive cases during the last week, positive cases are three times higher than the next highest city, and hospital admissions are rising.  Schools are being closed except for key worker and vulnerable children; non-essential shops are being closed back down; none of the changes due to take place at the weekend will happen in the area; only essential travel allowed and shielding people are to remain shielding.  The lockdown is to be reviewed in two weeks' time.

I think a dose of reality is needed.  Personally, I would also like to see the government make the wearing of face coverings mandatory in all indoor public settings.

Be interesting to see what the FA do with regards Leicester City Football team ?

43 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Be interesting to see what the FA do with regards Leicester City Football team ?

They should be practising their keepy uppies in their back gardens for the next two weeks IMO.

Just now, Saintslass said:

That was a very depressing thread.

Sorry, my fault, should have caveated it. Will go back and edit. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

10 hours ago, Saintslass said:

It's 'recommended' to make essential journeys only not 'only allowed' . 

Time lost in spotting the outbreak and further days of dithering and still it seems they haven't decided the exact area to be covered! Compare this response to those seen recently in other countries to far smaller outbreaks. 

So, Leicester is 'locked down' but today's horseracing from there can go ahead, even with the racetrack being in one of the suburbs covered by the restrictions...….

Also, some measure that should already be in place (eg laws on local lockdowns) and other half arrised measures relying on people doing the 'right thing' once again

Taking about shops and other non-essential retail in the city, Mr Hancock told BBC Breakfast: "We'll be closing them by law and changing the law in the next day or two to put that into effect.

"We're also not releasing the legal measures that lift the lockdown for the rest of the country."

He said the law won't include banning people from travelling from Leicester to other nearby cities.

"We are recommending against travel unless it's essential but we're not putting that in place in law at this stage - of course we will if we have to," he said.

"Frankly, I've seen what people did during in the lockdown across the whole country and people in very large proportion followed the rules and I think that's what people will do in Leicester."

47 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

So, Leicester is 'locked down' but today's horseracing from there can go ahead, even with the racetrack being in one of the suburbs covered by the restrictions...….

Also, some measure that should already be in place (eg laws on local lockdowns) and other half arrised measures relying on people doing the 'right thing' once again

Taking about shops and other non-essential retail in the city, Mr Hancock told BBC Breakfast: "We'll be closing them by law and changing the law in the next day or two to put that into effect.

"We're also not releasing the legal measures that lift the lockdown for the rest of the country."

He said the law won't include banning people from travelling from Leicester to other nearby cities.

"We are recommending against travel unless it's essential but we're not putting that in place in law at this stage - of course we will if we have to," he said.

"Frankly, I've seen what people did during in the lockdown across the whole country and people in very large proportion followed the rules and I think that's what people will do in Leicester."

What's the point of any of this beyond annoying hairdressers in Leicester that they're customers can, entirely within the rules, get in their Leicester-based cars from outside their Leicester-based homes, drive to a nearby town, get out and enjoy the town centre including getting a haircut, lick the doorhandles of every open shop, and then climb back in and return to 'lockdown'.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

What's the point of any of this beyond annoying hairdressers in Leicester that they're customers can, entirely within the rules, get in their Leicester-based cars from outside their Leicester-based homes, drive to a nearby town, get out and enjoy the town centre including getting a haircut, lick the doorhandles of every open shop, and then climb back in and return to 'lockdown'.

A business owner in Leicester made that very point in an interview I saw last night.

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Exactly! How did you find out that is what they do in Leicester, especially licking the doorhandles?

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Dave Stokes, chairman of Leicestershire Police Federation, called for the government to provide more detail on what the public can and cannot do during the lockdown.

"As we have seen over recent weeks and months, if the guidance and messaging from government is confusing for the public, then it will be almost impossible for our colleagues to police," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-53236467

Naturally they are relying on people still adhering to this 'guidance', my wife and I talked about it last night and if this came in in Edinburgh we would stick to it, so I'm sure plenty will. 

The problem we have really is all last week we were being told to get out there and spend spend spend, which is clearly being shown as too gung-ho an approach. 

I don't want to turn this political, but comms should be more careful moving forwards, particularly following this. 

My company were just about to mobilise our field force in Leicester - that's now been pushed back 4 weeks in the hope its sorted by then.

I saw an article that there's 35 potential towns next on the list - not sure how close they are to Leicester's numbers though

53 minutes ago, Spidey said:

My company were just about to mobilise our field force in Leicester - that's now been pushed back 4 weeks in the hope its sorted by then.

I saw an article that there's 35 potential towns next on the list - not sure how close they are to Leicester's numbers though

If it's the same article that the Wiltshire Times has reported and distorted I'd query the accuracy. Wiltshire was on their list because there had been a 400% increase in positive test results, reading the article it was in one lab and went from 1 to 4 so strictly true but not what you might term the whole truth. Still, Main Stream Media guys? Ammirite? 

22 minutes ago, Shadow said:

If it's the same article that the Wiltshire Times has reported and distorted I'd query the accuracy. Wiltshire was on their list because there had been a 400% increase in positive test results, reading the article it was in one lab and went from 1 to 4 so strictly true but not what you might term the whole truth. Still, Main Stream Media guys? Ammirite? 

I was a bit suspicious as no data or ranking accompanied it. I was mainly interested as Wigan was listed, as that is where my office is located and they were considering opening it up for returning back office staff

US buys up supplies of remdesivir:

The US has bought up virtually all the stocks for the next three months of one of the two drugs proven to work against Covid-19, leaving none for the UK, Europe or most of the rest of the world.

Experts and campaigners are alarmed both by the US unilateral action on remdesivir and the wider implications, for instance in the event of a vaccine becoming available. The Trump administration has already shown that it is prepared to outbid and outmanoeuvre all other countries to secure the medical supplies it needs for the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/30/us-buys-up-world-stock-of-key-covid-19-drug

7 hours ago, Shadow said:

As an aside, is x4 a 400% increase? 

100% increase is x2....

Archived