coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, silverback said:

Someone needs to get the message out to stop fumbling with masks,pulling them down to talk or have a fag is madness,all these pubs packed to rafters and thousands handling the masks for every swigg of ale or munch on some chips,we were told at the start to try not mess with them or its a waste of time wearing one. i cant wait for sky news tonight...all hard work done for months detroyed in days for sake of some beer.are glass collectors in hazmatt suits.

Easily sorted

IMG_20200612_151657.jpg

5 hours ago, SSoutherner said:

just walked past the bear garden of my local which opened at 12noon - it is rammed, absolutely no room to move at all, outside screens showing the footie, every table full, BBQ going and playground full of kids playing together.

I dread to think what it will be like by 6pm let alone 11pm

The few places I've seen have been busy, probably more than you'd expect for a regular Saturday daytime to be honest. Town itself was pretty quiet so quite a contrast between the boozers and everywhere else.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, silverback said:

Someone needs to get the message out to stop fumbling with masks,pulling them down to talk or have a fag is madness,all these pubs packed to rafters and thousands handling the masks for every swigg of ale or munch on some chips,we were told at the start to try not mess with them or its a waste of time wearing one. i cant wait for sky news tonight...all hard work done for months detroyed in days for sake of some beer.are glass collectors in hazmatt suits.

It's the people who walk around with them tucked under their chin who leave me bewildered the most.  What's the point of that?!  But the fiddling was one of the reasons why in the early days the scientists weren't so keen on people wearing masks in the first place as they could infect themselves by messing about with them.  I only ever handle them either by the side elastic or at the bridge of the nose.  They aren't half hot to wear though.  On the train sometimes I have felt like I would sweat to death by the end of the journey.  That means they'll be a bonus in winter time!

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The few places I've seen have been busy, probably more than you'd expect for a regular Saturday daytime to be honest. Town itself was pretty quiet so quite a contrast between the boozers and everywhere else.

Of the 4 pubs I pass on the way to/from my allotment only 1 was open. I was a bit surprised, I'd have put money on 3 of them opening today. No idea how busy it was - I didn't see anyone going in or out and there wasn't the usual bunch puffing away outside - it's usually popular on a weekend.

I’ve been round to the local this afternoon. Very quiet when I was walking by, so stopped off for a quick drink. Perhaps more a measure of the demographic than anything else. Well organised, strange, but a good pint, which I have missed a great deal. It felt well deserved and safe. 

The lad's tap reopened today.

Table service. Proper spacing. His usual clientel .... usually 40+years old couples behaving quite sensibly. Steady business throughout the day. Visited twice by police for a courtesy check which got approval.... the nob eds don't tend to go to his place....... he's not after carling/smiths drinkers.

I'm not going yet, but it appears to have been well managed on re-opening day and all who came were happy to engage in safety measures 

My guess would be that the most likely places for trouble will be the city centre bars.  I notice that Sky has managed to find an illegal street party in London and report it as if it was totally a result of pubs reopening today while of course those of us with eyes and ears know they have been going on in London for weeks now, usually with a dose of violence towards the police at the end.  

The one thing about normal life I haven't missed is the noise people make when returning home from a night out!  For the first time in months this evening I've heard loud people after dark.  It's been so peaceful at night time in my locality since March, and that has been nice.

200 metres down the lane is a Caravan Club site. It's now fully open and though I haven't been to have a look, it seems quite busy. Vehicle traffic has increased, as has the number of pedestrians walking down our lane to -preseumably- the beach. We've become so used to hardly any cars or people around, that, even though it's not what you'd call busy, it's quite a shock to see people around.

The bus that runs along the A52 to Skegness, about an hour away,  has been more or less completely empty since mid March, judging by the ones I've seen anyway. With an increase in holidaymakers,  I expect this will change and that using public transport will be risky for many.

We will continue to keep away from shops and supermarkets for weeks to come, no pubs, no cafes, no retsurants, no unnecessary journeys, and absolutely no public transport.

This is not intended to be a political post, but if the mods regard it so, no problem and please delete it. 

Does anyone know if catching the virus makes you infertile? 

It would be handy if it did, then the thousands of non-distancing idiots pictured on the news this morning would be removed from the gene pool. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Call me a cynic but so far both the BBC and Sky in their main news reports have used the image of the people drinking in the street in Soho to illustrate its report on opening of pubs, presumably because it fits their narrative that opening the pubs was a Bad Thing and that the English would be Bad People.  Yet scratch the surface and we have a paramedic interviewed on BBC Breakfast who was delighted by how all their New Year's Eve style plans were just not needed and there was nothing out of the ordinary happening in Birmingham at all, and the only stories other than Soho that the Beeb and Sky can repeat were a bit of bad behaviour in Southampton and in a few towns in northern Northamptonshire.  

38 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Call me a cynic but so far both the BBC and Sky in their main news reports have used the image of the people drinking in the street in Soho to illustrate its report on opening of pubs, presumably because it fits their narrative that opening the pubs was a Bad Thing and that the English would be Bad People.  Yet scratch the surface and we have a paramedic interviewed on BBC Breakfast who was delighted by how all their New Year's Eve style plans were just not needed and there was nothing out of the ordinary happening in Birmingham at all, and the only stories other than Soho that the Beeb and Sky can repeat were a bit of bad behaviour in Southampton and in a few towns in northern Northamptonshire.  

Nottinghamshire was being reported; haven’t seen anything about Northamptonshire. 

Of course the news channels will lead with big crowds congregating for social reasons. Nobody has done it (legally) for months. It’s a big news event. Even more so since the government have made it a big story that the current is moving forwards out of the pandemic. It’s a pretty critical event; a big risk... time will tell if it was the right decision or not. 

Plenty of trouble in my village (sleepy part of Rutland). Local ex-servicemen’s club opened yesterday (about 3 x veterans/currently serving live here!). People fighting in the street in the evening; urinating in people’s gardens etc etc. It’ll be a minority; replicated in other locations too no doubt (but not reported like my village) and just an example of why we can’t be trusted with booze. 

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

This is not intended to be a political post, but if the mods regard it so, no problem and please delete it. 

Does anyone know if catching the virus makes you infertile? 

It would be handy if it did, then the thousands of non-distancing idiots pictured on the news this morning would be removed from the gene pool. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

It would be even more handy if, with his cavorting around the world, Stanley caught it so badly that his infertility was backdated 56 years.

6 minutes ago, Hammerless Nail said:

It would be even more handy if, with his cavorting around the world, Stanley caught it so badly that his infertility was backdated 56 years.

That would be a political post, though, as it refers to the Prime Minister.

13 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I notice that Sky has managed to find an illegal street party in London and report it as if it was totally a result of pubs reopening today while of course those of us with eyes and ears know they have been going on in London for weeks now, usually with a dose of violence towards the police at the end.  

They have been going on all over, how many raves with 1000’s of attendees round the north west.  The police don’t even try and stop those.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

They have been going on all over, how many raves with 1000’s of attendees round the north west.  The police don’t even try and stop those.

Well they tried in London yesterday , thankfully no stabbings or shootings reported so far , there will be complaints about the increase in stop and search however 

3 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yep, but that was before the pubs opened.  Sky was reporting the street party as if it was a new thing brought on because Boris had opened the pubs too early (that was their narrative not mine).  

One was closed down in the north east last night but I haven't heard of any others over the weekend so far.  It seems they involve music, booze and nitrous oxide.

sky news? the same channel that has had the sheffeild utd score going across the bottom of the the screen all afternoon? the uks major news reporter cant even spell sheffield !

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not sure if it's the same all over, but a couple of folk I know have commented that the beer is £1 a pint dearer in their locals (2 different pubs in different villages) than when they shut in March! 

The beer has probably gone up to compensate the pubs for the lower numbers of punters allowed in.  

Archived