coronavirus

If everyone is expected to wear a mask when out shopping fair enough , but how does that square with people in pubs who do not . In other words we trust people full of ale more than we trust those that shop , very very confusing logic .

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, ivans82 said:

If everyone is expected to wear a mask when out shopping fair enough , but how does that square with people in pubs who do not . In other words we trust people full of ale more than we trust those that shop , very very confusing logic .

How do you manage eating and drinking with a mask on exactly?  The idea of a mask is to offer some measure of protection when other mitigations aren't possible.  In pubs and restaurants, at the moment anyway (and assuming they don't go the way of supermarkets), are following strict social distancing and cleansing measures.  They should also be opening windows to encourage ventilation.  So they shouldn't be too close to one another to begin with.  However, they are undoubtedly risky places and outbreaks have started at them in other places resulting in them being closed down after being reopened.  But allowing that risk doesn't mean we shouldn't try to negate all the others surely?  If we minimise the number of risky places while allowing enough freedom to help people stay sane and employed then surely that is a good idea?

Most of the people i have met and talked too are quite happy to go about their daily business without wearing a mask , including shopping . Everywhere i have been people seem to distance themselves well and i personally haven`t had any problems .On the other hand at present i wouldn`t dream of going to the pub as i see them as too risky . I can understand the concern in London or other big cities and large shopping malls/centres , but for small villages and towns it seems ludicrous .

My next door neighbour is 77. He says he's in good health as he had his heart attack some years ago. He reckons when your time has come, your time has come. He thinks the whole thing is overdone. His wife is over 70, has lots of problems incl diabetes. 10 days ago they went over to Winsford to help daughter and grandkids to move house.  They didn't see a problem with hugging them as the kids didn't have the virus. He reckons like the plague, it'll burn itself out. 

1 hour ago, ivans82 said:

Most of the people i have met and talked too are quite happy to go about their daily business without wearing a mask , including shopping . Everywhere i have been people seem to distance themselves well and i personally haven`t had any problems .On the other hand at present i wouldn`t dream of going to the pub as i see them as too risky . I can understand the concern in London or other big cities and large shopping malls/centres , but for small villages and towns it seems ludicrous .

And yet Cumbria, with its small towns and villages, has consistently had relatively high infection numbers.  Carlisle was named last week as a town PHE is keeping its eye on.  People who aren't alert to the risk will feel comfortable but that doesn't mean they are safe.  It just means they are assuming that because our numbers have been falling, the virus is going.  Yet all they need to do is cast an eye towards Spain or Germany or Italy or Australia or South Korea to see that the virus takes any chance given to it to start taking off again.  Face coverings simply make it harder for that to happen.

24 minutes ago, JohnM said:

My next door neighbour is 77. He says he's in good health as he had his heart attack some years ago. He reckons when your time has come, your time has come. He thinks the whole thing is overdone. His wife is over 70, has lots of problems incl diabetes. 10 days ago they went over to Winsford to help daughter and grandkids to move house.  They didn't see a problem with hugging them as the kids didn't have the virus. He reckons like the plague, it'll burn itself out. 

How do they know that their grandchildren didn't have the virus?

Some of it isn't new, its been speculated for a while -

We are still learning and turning speculation into robust research. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Just read two articles relating to Covid infections rate, as in numbers per 100,000.

One  newpaper on line edition screams:

Coronavirus warning as 10 worst outbreak hotspots named - local lockdown risk

CORONAVIRUS panic is continuing to sweep through the UK, with alarming figures from Public Health England revealing the COVID-19 infection rate is surging in a host of towns and council areas.

The other

Covid-19 update: most of the UK is almost corona free

Britain is now doing more Covid-19 testing than anywhere else in Europe, offering a detailed regional picture that shows how rapidly the virus has receded in most of the country. The latest figures were released earlier this afternoon, for 29 June to 5 July, using the German definition: how many weekly positive infections per 100,000 people? The German danger zone is 50. Of 150 upper-tier local authorities in England, only one is over that limit: locked-down Leicester.

Both using the same set of PHE stats....

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

exactly! They hadn't been tested, they showed no symptoms, but that does not mean to say they were not infected.  He's a bloody idiot!😡😡😡😡😡😡

Sadly, there appear to be a fair number of such people around these days, especially where I live (amazing therefore that the last stats had us at 2.2 cases per 100,000 - nothing short of a miracle tbh!).  

18 hours ago, Saintslass said:

And yet Cumbria, with its small towns and villages, has consistently had relatively high infection numbers.  Carlisle was named last week as a town PHE is keeping its eye on.  People who aren't alert to the risk will feel comfortable but that doesn't mean they are safe.  It just means they are assuming that because our numbers have been falling, the virus is going.  Yet all they need to do is cast an eye towards Spain or Germany or Italy or Australia or South Korea to see that the virus takes any chance given to it to start taking off again.  Face coverings simply make it harder for that to happen.

Carlisle is a City of around 110,000 people . It receives lots of visitors because it is on the M6 corridor , Hundreds of people over the border from Scotland work there (something Nicole Sturgeon keeps forgetting ) as do quite a lot from the north east , the Carlisle infirmary deals with people from the north of Cumbria generally . West Cumbria is 50 miles away and on the coast . The Whitehaven Hospital according to people i have talked to who work there has had around 10 cases this month , none of whom are in the ICU ........I might add i would not go shopping in Carlisle at the moment .

One unexpected continuing side effect of covid-19: Bags of plaster are being sold for seven times the normal price on eBay and Facebook as 2020's shortage continues

Speaking from experience it's like gold dust. The job I'm working ATM is weeks behind schedule as we just can't get the stuff. Until last week that is when the guy doing the plastering managed to somehow secure some. British Gypsum have been back to full production for a month but the shortage continues; a real concern for small contractors. It used to be that you didn't dare leave your tools on site, these days they'd walk past the tools and take the plaster. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

So

Today is our wedding anniversary, I've been the attentive husband of 36 years and bought Mrs Sahdow a gift (A Bee hotel for the garden since you ask)

She opened her gift this morning with a surprised look and said "Is it today?"

She has obviously been feeling slightly guilty and has booked a table at one of the local pub / restaurants tonight.

I am uncomfortable with this plan but wonder whether the risk of contracting Covid-19 and dying an agonising death is worth not annoying Mrs Shadow. 

I would welcome words of wisdom from the panel. 

4 minutes ago, Shadow said:

So

Today is our wedding anniversary, I've been the attentive husband of 36 years and bought Mrs Sahdow a gift (A Bee hotel for the garden since you ask)

She has obviously been feeling slightly guilty and has booked a table at one of the local pub / restaurants tonight.

I am uncomfortable with this plan but wonder whether the risk of contracting Covid-19 and dying an agonising death is worth not annoying Mrs Shadow. 

Where did the romance go? Married 36 years and you buy the Mrs a beehive.😟

9 minutes ago, Moose said:

Where did the romance go? Married 36 years and you buy the Mrs a beehive.😟

Not a Beehive

A Bee Hotel

Odysseus Bee House Silhouette

Anyway, you're missing the point of my post....

Am I safer from Covid-19 or an annoyed wife?

22 minutes ago, Shadow said:

So

Take your hand sanitiser and wet wipes and am sure you will be fine,if i go anywere am well prepared and must say a few times to the other half"dont touch owt" until am back at the car were my mr muscle spray awaits

am just trying to find somewere remote for my 45th anniversary next week,our little motorhomes loaded up, will still be a bit weary if indeed we do set off,enjoy.

40 minutes ago, Shadow said:

So

Check up on that pub/restaurant's safety measures, and wear your mask 'til you're seated.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, silverback said:

Take your hand sanitiser and wet wipes and am sure you will be fine,if i go anywere am well prepared and must say a few times to the other half"dont touch owt" until am back at the car were my mr muscle spray awaits

am just trying to find somewere remote for my 45th anniversary next week,our little motorhomes loaded up, will still be a bit weary if indeed we do set off,enjoy.

We've got a couple of Caravan parks in and around our village, you're welcome for asocially distanced beer at casa Shadow if you come to the forest.

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Check up on that pub/restaurant's safety measures, and wear your mask 'til you're seated.

We've had takeaways from the pub during lockdown and survived so I'm happy with their hygiene, it's the whole being in a room with a number of unknown others that I'm less happy with.

14 minutes ago, Shadow said:

We've got a couple of Caravan parks in and around our village, you're welcome for asocially distanced beer at casa Shadow if you come to the forest.

thanks, forests have spiders..lol. thing am sorted>.bay ness farm whitby. good view and fresh air.:kolobok_popcorm1:

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

So

Although i'm guessing your being tongue-in-cheek, We, as in wife & I, went to our local restaurant in our town.

We were very impressed with the covid-secure approach.  We had a "nose in" before actually sitting down to help our comfort factor.

Anyway we have no hesitation going back to that particular restaurant.

Also I know spot checks are done by the council, as local barber had been checked was conforming and given high marks.

We have locked ourselves away since early March and came to conclusion we can't live our lives like this. So where we think places are taken it seriously we will go their, where not we won't... even if walking out once sat down or entered.

18 minutes ago, redjonn said:

Although i'm guessing your being tongue-in-cheek, We, as in wife & I, went to our local restaurant in our town.

We were very impressed with the covid-secure approach.  We had a "nose in" before actually sitting down to help our comfort factor.

Anyway we have no hesitation going back to that particular restaurant.

Also I know spot checks are done by the council, as local barber had been checked was conforming and given high marks.

We have locked ourselves away since early March and came to conclusion we can't live our lives like this. So where we think places are taken it seriously we will go their, where not we won't... even if walking out once sat down or entered.

Tongue in cheek yes but I did call her back and talk it through. Mrs Shadow's a community nurse so contamination avoidance is second nature, she is in and out of peoples houses all day, some of whom are Covid infected. I'm not and am a bit more hesitant. I'm certainly not going to a pub to drink for the foreseeable. 

Archived