coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

All of the supermarkets have said their staff won’t enforce face coverings.

Basically they don't want staff in confrontations with people.  The police have said they wont be enforcing it, so I'm not sure why the minimum wage cashier at tescos express should be doing it instead.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

For weeks, certain individuals in my workplace have been chelping about my team working from home, as they think everyone should be on site (not my line management I have to add). We agreed last week we would start mixing home working and office days from 27th,only to get an email at 4pm yesterday to advise that we're being asked to hotdesk (which we didn't previously) to allow other people to use our desks on days we're not in. 🙄

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

24 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

For weeks, certain individuals in my workplace have been chelping about my team working from home, as they think everyone should be on site (not my line management I have to add). We agreed last week we would start mixing home working and office days from 27th,only to get an email at 4pm yesterday to advise that we're being asked to hotdesk (which we didn't previously) to allow other people to use our desks on days we're not in. 🙄

Our local commissioner had gone to hotdesking late last year to save money when they consolidated all their buildings into one. They’ve now banned hotdesking because it increases infection risks significantly due to the virus being able to hang around for days on certain surfaces.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Our local commissioner had gone to hotdesking late last year to save money when they consolidated all their buildings into one. They’ve now banned hotdesking because it increases infection risks significantly due to the virus being able to hang around for days on certain surfaces.

Strangely enough older building might be safer as they have brass door plates/handles/banisters and copper which has v.strong anti microbial properties has now been shown to also have anti viral properties vs covid. (you just need to keep them clean of the greasy film of hand prints etc

Not sure of the exact science but my BinL works in the area, it is something to do with free ions, they were already speccing in copper handrails and bed rails etc for MRSA wards (it kills that as well)

2 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Strangely enough older building might be safer as they have brass door plates/handles/banisters and copper which has v.strong anti microbial properties has now been shown to also have anti viral properties vs covid. (you just need to keep them clean of the greasy film of hand prints etc

Not sure of the exact science but my BinL works in the area, it is something to do with free ions, they were already speccing in copper handrails and bed rails etc for MRSA wards (it kills that as well)

It’s the mental safety of a desk. When you’re there and working you’ll touch lots of the desk, the chair, the filthy keyboard and then you’ll touch your face unconsciously. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

It’s the mental safety of a desk. When you’re there and working you’ll touch lots of the desk, the chair, the filthy keyboard and then you’ll touch your face unconsciously. 

Actually this brings to a mind a conversation with my yr9 daughter - her school had them back in for a couple of days and there was no sharing of pens etc etc, she thought working in the PC suite and everyone bringing there own USB keyboard with them would have been safest option - teacher could have had there own and plugged it in if needing to demonstrate something - i have to say it did seem a really simple cheap idea - cheap KB + Mouse is less than £5 per head and they are the main contact points likely to transfer anything

19 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Actually this brings to a mind a conversation with my yr9 daughter - her school had them back in for a couple of days and there was no sharing of pens etc etc, she thought working in the PC suite and everyone bringing there own USB keyboard with them would have been safest option - teacher could have had there own and plugged it in if needing to demonstrate something - i have to say it did seem a really simple cheap idea - cheap KB + Mouse is less than £5 per head and they are the main contact points likely to transfer anything

Yes, that seems a good simple idea. We hotdesk (all at home at moment), but we have a locker so providing us with that stuff and then just some antibacterial to allow you to clean the desk and chair at the start of the day seems sensible. 

After the horrible experience in Tesco's yesterday, went to the other local convenience store at lunchtime. I was the only customer when I arrived, but another six came in while I was there despite the sign on the door saying only two at a time. Not one of them was wearing a mask. Looking forward to this lovable part of south Essex being a second wave hotspot soon 

55 minutes ago, Jeff Stein said:

After the horrible experience in Tesco's yesterday, went to the other local convenience store at lunchtime. I was the only customer when I arrived, but another six came in while I was there despite the sign on the door saying only two at a time. Not one of them was wearing a mask. Looking forward to this lovable part of south Essex being a second wave hotspot soon 

On the flip side, I went to B&Q and Aldi in Peterborough today. I think I saw only one person without a mask in the queue for B&Q; everyone had one inside both stores.

B&Q had ‘security’ checking/admitting people on the way in; Aldi didn’t. But Aldi did have an electronic traffic light system (red/green) to filter people/cap numbers in the store.

8 hours ago, ckn said:

As far as I'm concerned, it won't be happening. 😉

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

2 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Yes, the government has now confirmed this and it is UK wide.  Fair enough really as the growth in cases there has rapidly increased over the last few days.  In the UK we are bouncing between c500 and c800 cases every day and have been doing so for some time now, so we appear to be stable overall, but Spain's numbers have jumped up and they have almost 300 outbreaks happening.  France's numbers don't look too rosy either as they have increased to over 1,000 in 24 hours and apparently Belgium's cases are on the way up too.

I'm going to the Lake District this year, rain or no rain! 🙂 

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

On the flip side, I went to B&Q and Aldi in Peterborough today. I think I saw only one person without a mask in the queue for B&Q; everyone had one inside both stores.

B&Q had ‘security’ checking/admitting people on the way in; Aldi didn’t. But Aldi did have an electronic traffic light system (red/green) to filter people/cap numbers in the store.

I had to pop into ASDA tonight.  I didn't want to as they have abandoned all social distancing completely but in a way I'm glad I did as there wasn't a single customer without a mask on and most of the staff were wearing masks too so that has reassured me a bit even if they are now letting as many people in as want to go in and they have taken up all the one way system signs and generally been very irresponsible.

I was in Sainsbury's yesterday afternoon, and didn't spot anyone without a mask, which is encouraging. However, smaller convenience stores on my street, where people tend to quickly nip in to buy just one or two things, were a different matter.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have already seen someone on Twitter, boasting about wearing his fake "hidden disabilities" sunflower lanyard, so he can go around without a mask.

Unfortunately, the people most likely to infect others are the ones who'll try that sort of thing on, just because they are that type of people.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I can't wrap my head around why all of a sudden wearing a mask is an attack on one's freedom when you follow the laws of the land constantly without batting an eye? People will get in a car that is taxed/MOTd/insured, put their seatbelt on, drive at the speed limit to go and not wear a mask in a shop to make a statement about not being made to do something by the gov.

Mental.

33 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I was in Sainsbury's yesterday afternoon, and didn't spot anyone without a mask, which is encouraging. However, smaller convenience stores on my street, where people tend to quickly nip in to buy just one or two things, were a different matter.

Classic happened in an example of such a convenience store local to me today.  A woman followed me in with a mask on but with her hand clamped over the front of it because she couldn't be bothered putting it on and then she stood close to me so I asked her to please step back because, I advised in a suitably snooty tone, we are still supposed to socially distance even with a mask on (albeit clamped on with a hand, although I didn't say that bit).  She accused me of talking to her like she was a child and I thought '"Well, if the shoe fits …." and left the shop with my purchase feeling thoroughly morally superior. 😉 

30 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

I can't wrap my head around why all of a sudden wearing a mask is an attack on one's freedom when you follow the laws of the land constantly without batting an eye? People will get in a car that is taxed/MOTd/insured, put their seatbelt on, drive at the speed limit to go and not wear a mask in a shop to make a statement about not being made to do something by the gov.

Mental.

Sadly, we do appear to have a fair smattering of total nutters who couldn't give a damn about anyone else but themselves.  A few of them appear to follow me on Twitter, which I have now put right, with their 'no-mask selfies' as if not protecting their relatives and neighbours is something to be proud of.

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

Yes, the government has now confirmed this and it is UK wide.  Fair enough really as the growth in cases there has rapidly increased over the last few days.  In the UK we are bouncing between c500 and c800 cases every day and have been doing so for some time now, so we appear to be stable overall, but Spain's numbers have jumped up and they have almost 300 outbreaks happening.  France's numbers don't look too rosy either as they have increased to over 1,000 in 24 hours and apparently Belgium's cases are on the way up too.

England alone is at 2800 new cases a day according to the ONS. 

12 minutes ago, ckn said:

Is that figure correct, they usually quote per 100,000 not 10,000, has somebody at the NOS made a typo?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

13 minutes ago, ckn said:

I have every respect for the statistical work of the ONS but these estimates are always produced with a caveat.  I can't remember what the margin of error is now as it is a while since the last Covid conference (where it was always explained by the scientists) but for an infection number of 2800 it would be something between 500 and 4000 or something like that.

The numbers I go with are the actual positive test results (while bearing in mind that there will always be an unknown number of asymptomatic people out there).  They are actual positive test results as opposed to estimations and extrapolations.  I am assuming that actual positive test results are what the government - local and national - act upon when dealing with local outbreaks.

2 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Don't worry, we're not being left out: our 7 day average is creeping up

9 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Don't worry, we're not being left out: our 7 day average is creeping up

Where have you got that information from?  In some ways it wouldn't be that surprising given that the most recent relaxations have moved into the riskier areas.  Some of it of course will be in relation to the already identified outbreaks in Leicester, Blackburn etc.  I am not too worried at the moment, not by what I see anyway, but what Spain et al teaches us is that we need to be alert - at a national level and a personal one.

Archived