coronavirus

Refuelled the F800 this morning at local SPAR station, £1.129/litre. Plastic glove dispenser on pump handle. Used it.  Lots of face-covering warning signs in Spar shop.  Pulled up my neck tube over my mouth and nose. Helmet removed.

Cashier behind screen said very firmly, "I'm sorry, you are not allowed in without a mask. You can buy one or leave. If you leave, you'll be classed as a drive off."

I pointed out the sign that said face coverings.

She replied, "I'm not talking to you, I'm talking  to her at the door!"

Memo to self. Remember to remove earplugs next time. 😀

95 mile tour of Lincolnshire. Boston, Revesby, Horncastle, Spilsby. LOTS of bikes out, roads to coast busy, too.  Cafes with outside table very busy.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I was in Sainsbury's yesterday afternoon, and didn't spot anyone without a mask, which is encouraging. However, smaller convenience stores on my street, where people tend to quickly nip in to buy just one or two things, were a different matter.

This has been my experience. I haven't seen anyone without a mask in the biggish stores I've been in since Friday. Meanwhile, at the Tesco Express I nipped into, I was the only one.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Common Sense

Yes, I thought it was an unenforceable and not-backed-up highly visible statement with no substance.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Sadly, we do appear to have a fair smattering of total nutters who couldn't give a damn about anyone else but themselves.  A few of them appear to follow me on Twitter, which I have now put right, with their 'no-mask selfies' as if not protecting their relatives and neighbours is something to be proud of.

People have been conditioned now to ignoring authority and puttine personal "freedom" over community responsibility. I'm not surprised.

9 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

On Spain ... it turns out that the rate of infection in Spain is three times that of the UK so no wonder really that the government has taken a blanket approach towards travel to the country.

Only in localised areas. It's like countries banning people from Scotland because of an outbreak in Leicester.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

10 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

On Spain ... it turns out that the rate of infection in Spain is three times that of the UK so no wonder really that the government has taken a blanket approach towards travel to the country.

I see we enforced restrictions on Spain after Grant Shapps (aka Michael Green, aka Corinne Stockheath, aka Sebastian Fox) went there on holiday. I wonder if any of his aliases will allow him to dodge quarantine when he returns? Or will just rely on his connections and sense of entitlement?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

18 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I see we enforced restrictions on Spain after Grant Shapps (aka Michael Green, aka Corinne Stockheath, aka Sebastian Fox) went there on holiday. I wonder if any of his aliases will allow him to dodge quarantine when he returns? Or will just rely on his connections and sense of entitlement?

Drive to France and fly from there?

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

So, the ONS is lying then when it’s saying we’re at 2800 new infections a day in England alone? Spain as a whole is at around 900/day. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

22 hours ago, Padge said:

Is that figure correct, they usually quote per 100,000 not 10,000, has somebody at the NOS made a typo?

No, plenty of different stats out there. I see some at 1000, some 10,000, some 100,000 and some 2.2m (our area footprint). ONS seem to have picked that for some reason and the maths still comes out at England equalling a rate of around 2800/day

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

20 minutes ago, ckn said:

So, the ONS is lying then when it’s saying we’re at 2800 new infections a day in England alone? Spain as a whole is at around 900/day. 

Worldometers has Spain down as having 2255 (confirmed, 7 day average ca1500) new cases on Friday (no numbers as yet for yesterday or today). 

Had a socially distanced outdoor meet up with one of Mrs S's friends today who's over on her annual visit to see her mum from Singapore (could be a long visit as she waits for permission to return - her husband stayed behind to ensure he didn't get stuck here and lose his job). With Singapore having had only 27 deaths I think she's finding it difficult to understand why many of her friends and family are being cautious over such as meeting for a coffee or going to the pub, not to mention visiting and staying over.

33 minutes ago, ckn said:

I have no idea what you are talking about when you speak about the ONS 'lying'.  

The last figure I saw for Spain was 1,700 a day, but apparently the number wasn't the issue (France is up to around 1,000 a day for example); it was the rise in cases that appears to have been the problem.  There has been a 'sudden surge' (to quote Dominic Raab) across the country, hence the report about the rate of infection.  That is what triggered the response by the UK government, and not just the UK government of course.  Not only have all four nations been in total harmony over this decision but France is advising their citizens not to travel to Catalonia, Norway has re-imposed a 10 day quarantine on those returning from Spain, Belgium has asked its citizens not to go to three areas of Spain and Germany is testing returnees from Spain.  Clearly the data coming out of Spain has concerned a few countries.

COVID deaths in Spain in the last 5 days = 12

Deaths in England in the last 5 days = 426 

I’m not making any political point, just highlighting our national idiocy in pointing fingers at other nations. 

On 25/07/2020 at 15:17, Jeff Stein said:

After the horrible experience in Tesco's yesterday, went to the other local convenience store at lunchtime. I was the only customer when I arrived, but another six came in while I was there despite the sign on the door saying only two at a time. Not one of them was wearing a mask. Looking forward to this lovable part of south Essex being a second wave hotspot soon 

What part of Essex are you in Jeff?  The quaint (airport ridden)   hamlet of Rochford has, for the main when i ve been out on limited shopping trips, been quite compliant. The walking one way  systems has totallty befuddled some people but masks, have pretty much been in use

10 hours ago, ckn said:

COVID deaths in Spain in the last 5 days = 12

Deaths in England in the last 5 days = 426 

I’m not making any political point, just highlighting our national idiocy in pointing fingers at other nations. 

I wouldn't disagree. We're seeing other countries use a rapid, tough approach for tens of new cases whereas we dither, giving out mixed messages waiting to see what happens before doing anything with multiple times more. 

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I wouldn't disagree. We're seeing other countries use a rapid, tough approach for tens of new cases whereas we dither, giving out mixed messages waiting to see what happens before doing anything with multiple times more. 

Interestingly, I was just reading about France's response to spikes elsewhere which includes requiring visitors from the US to have proof of a negative test from within the 72 hours before flying or else they won't be allowed to even board the plane to France. (This was in quite a detailed FT article showing that there are a range of tough responses going on across Europe).

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Interestingly, I was just reading about France's response to spikes elsewhere which includes requiring visitors from the US to have proof of a negative test from within the 72 hours before flying or else they won't be allowed to even board the plane to France. (This was in quite a detailed FT article showing that there are a range of tough responses going on across Europe).

Also see Vietnam's response to 4 cases. Our quarantine rules are a bit of half hearted effort too and interestingly we're reported to be taking Slovenia off the 'list' tomorrow whereas Finland have put them on theirs today! 

2 hours ago, bulldog_paddy said:

What part of Essex are you in Jeff?  The quaint (airport ridden)   hamlet of Rochford has, for the main when i ve been out on limited shopping trips, been quite compliant. The walking one way  systems has totallty befuddled some people but masks, have pretty much been in use

Brentwood

31 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Also see Vietnam's response to 4 cases. Our quarantine rules are a bit of half hearted effort too and interestingly we're reported to be taking Slovenia off the 'list' tomorrow whereas Finland have put them on theirs today! 

It seems to me to almost being run on a ###### for tat basis. My wife is flying in from Thailand on Sunday. Despite a very similar size of population and being the second country in the world to have a case, they have only had 58 deaths in total and not a single one in the last month. However, they are on the quarantine list whereas countries which have much higher infection rates are not. 

On a positive front been out in Ipswich where I work at lunchtime and the mask wearing in shops seemed to be pretty close to 100% (even in Tescos Express on Norwich Road). A lot of people wearing them when walking around outside too. Incredible difference in attitude from my home town.

Belgium is reversing some of its loosening. Bubbles down to 5 from 15 for the next four weeks.

Archived