coronavirus

FB_IMG_1596275079054.jpg

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

They've been rising for a month, starting around the time you'd expect from the last beach invasions. 

I realise that's an assumption and may be right... but other relaxations have happened during that period plus other mass gathering of people too... whether protests, raves/street parties, youngsters mixing etc etc... generally those that see their cause as greater or don't care that their actions may have on the older and more vulnerable people to covid.

26 minutes ago, redjonn said:

I realise that's an assumption and may be right... but other relaxations have happened during that period plus other mass gathering of people too... whether protests, raves/street parties, youngsters mixing etc etc... generally those that see their cause as greater or don't care that their actions may have on the older and more vulnerable people to covid.

Young people have had messages at them for weeks now telling them that it's basically their duty to go out and get the economy moving.

By and large, and I realise anecdote is not data, I'm seeing the same level of 'rules following' from all ages and backgrounds. Pretty much total compliance with masks, vague attempts at social distancing in shops, complete breakdown of distancing outside.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

Agree, all those will have helped to get cases moving upwards from the start of July. Any effects from pubs etc opening will be starting to come through anytime now. The ONS survey numbers I saw on the news last night suggest a small increase on the increase over the last few sets of data. Maybe time to revisit all the posts re exponential growth from a few months ago! 

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

question for me is where are the beach goers coming from... 

I mean I would drive for 5 hours just for a day at the beach, whereas as I live in North Yorkshire I may drive to Yorkshire coast/beach, say no more than 2 hours. For me that far enough given pain of driving & we know traffic jams on nice days.

In other words I assume most people are like me and its people from within a reasonable area of the resort/beach.  As distinct from what some residents of those are'a bemoan as if their all coming from a massive distance away.

They were interviewing people visiting the South Coast by train on the news last night. They were all complaining that the trains were so full that social distancing was impossible. Not one of them had had the common sense to not travel.... I'd also question why the rail companies were allowing the trains to be so full?

I'm now at the point where I am just completely fed up of people. I've tried my best to leave people to it and have a live and let live attitude for my own sanity, but now I've just had enough of people! 

I feel like we are in an episode of Black Mirror, all people are bothered about is taking photos and selfies and sod the virus and social distancing. I've been away for a few days so not really keeping up with things, but so many people are posting photos of them hugging people, arms round each other in groups, in cars together even in hot tubs that I assumed I must have missed a relaxation of rules. But no, they are just being ######. 

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Young people have had messages at them for weeks now telling them that it's basically their duty to go out and get the economy moving.

By and large, and I realise anecdote is not data, I'm seeing the same level of 'rules following' from all ages and backgrounds. Pretty much total compliance with masks, vague attempts at social distancing in shops, complete breakdown of distancing outside.

yep notice similar re:last sentence.

Although I'm guessing those that don't move around others are the same when in normal non covid times don't move when you walking towards them.  A lot of self centred people that expect others to move to allow them passed rather them moving. especial those holding hands and never think of releasing each other when another couple is walking towards them so that you have skip into road to avoid. 

Really gets my missus moaning so much that sometimes she just makes sure we stop right in front and await their reaction to suddenly be aware of us.  As I say its probably same type of people covid or not that are inconsiderate..

Maybe its only our town.... with so many self centred xxxxxx

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Funnily I was just suggesting this possibility to Mrs S this morning 

Pubs or "other activities" in England may need to close to allow schools to reopen next month, a scientist advising the government has said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53621613

should get a rush to the pub this week end... then just in case...

Although to fair to our local country pub its all very "covid secure". Plenty of space between tables when eating inside or out.   Strict no standing at the bar, plus your met at the door and guided to seat in the Pub or eating area.  Waiter only service... everywhere.

Me thinks its more the city centre or town pubs where large groups gather, inside and out and certainly and not sure how the waiter service works with the large groups standing outside all close together....

6 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

They've been rising for a month, starting around the time you'd expect from the last beach invasions. 

Not according to the positive test figures or the ONS extrapolation data.

5 hours ago, redjonn said:

question for me is where are the beach goers coming from... 

I mean I would drive for 5 hours just for a day at the beach, whereas as I live in North Yorkshire I may drive to Yorkshire coast/beach, say no more than 2 hours. For me that far enough given pain of driving & we know traffic jams on nice days.

In other words I assume most people are like me and its people from within a reasonable area of the resort/beach.  As distinct from what some residents of those are'a bemoan as if their all coming from a massive distance away.

They are simply all the people who can't go abroad at the moment.  This is what we would have been looking like for years had package holidays to Spain not been a thing!  They'll be travelling from all over I should wonder. 

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Not just young people actually.  We all need to work.  We certainly shouldn't continue to be paid by the taxpayer.  I am sure many employers have worked hard to make workplaces as covid secure as possible.  Whether young people will take any notice is another matter.  They don't at my place and it's a very covid secure office with loads of space and yet still they walk close to each other and talk in each other's faces.

Another four people have died of Covid in hospital in England today, the lowest number since whenever but is a continuation of very, very low Covid death numbers in English hospitals for a few weeks now. That is added to two deaths in Wales, none in Scotland and none in Northern Ireland.

But I bet by about 5pm the number of deaths in the UK will have gone up to 3,000 over the last 24 hours when the mysterious PHE figures are added.

I really do dispair sometimes,just been to b&q for some door fittings,two women both coughing and spluttering all way round,but thought it easy to cough better with mask pulled down, then we have taxis pulling up getting folks shopping out the boot with no masks,and other folks clammbering to get in same cab,some brave folks about.

no cleaning before next person jumps in taxi,how the heel do you keep 6ft away when your 2 foot at back a driver??> and your touching the door hadles.seat back of front seat when maybe 20 other customers have been in same taxi that morning.

If the virus is airborne spread then outdoors is more of a risk than indoors as it would be carried further by the wind.the lets get locked down and be safe.

So many are looking for mistaken reasons to resume normal life, that is in itself a danger, as when people were in lockdown so was the virus, as people are released from lockdown, again so is the virus.

8 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Another four people have died of Covid in hospital in England today, the lowest number since whenever but is a continuation of very, very low Covid death numbers in English hospitals for a few weeks now. That is added to two deaths in Wales, none in Scotland and none in Northern Ireland.

But I bet by about 5pm the number of deaths in the UK will have gone up to 3,000 over the last 24 hours when the mysterious PHE figures are added.

I don't understand why the methodology isn't consistent across the UK.

Either PHS/ Scotland and other home nations are deliberate misleading or PHE are being stubborn. 

Don't care what method but as a lay person PHE approach just seems nonsense -  every positve test will result in a Covid death if we wait long enough in compiling the figures - thats currently over 300000.

20 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

They are simply all the people who can't go abroad at the moment.  This is what we would have been looking like for years had package holidays to Spain not been a thing!  They'll be travelling from all over I should wonder. 

yep I get your comment - I can see that over a weekend, but I do wonder when its not week days when people would normally be working when not taking holiday time..

That of course leads us to what the demographic is of those able to be on the beach week days when not taking holiday time.

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

Not according to the positive test figures or the ONS extrapolation data.

ONS figures:

22nd June - 5th July - 14000 estimated to have CV

6th - 12th July - 24000

13th - 19th July - 27700

20th -26th July - 35700

There are some big uncertainties on those numbers which is why they've only just said that numbers are definitely increasing, but.....

Also see graph in next post. 

On 31/07/2020 at 19:38, Saintslass said:

Red, they aren't guidelines.  They are the law. 

I haven't seen the new laws. just Hancock saying it is the law.

I'd also add another neighbour has 4 or 5 mates round now.

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

ONS figures:

22nd June - 5th July - 14000 estimated to have CV

6th - 12th July - 24000

13th - 19th July - 27700

20th -26th July - 35700

There are some big uncertainties on those numbers which is why they've only just said that numbers are definitely increasing, but.....

Also see graph in next post. 

Maybe I should have been more specific.  The ONS extrapolations I'm talking about are those which tell us (based on the ONS testing exercise) how many per thousands are believed to have Covid.  They are released on a weekly basis.  So the last week it was 1 in 1,500; the previous week 1 in 1,700 and the week prior to that 1 in 2000.  This confusion between us points to a problem for us mere mortals: there are a few different figures around and so who knows which are the best to follow.  This confusion is why (as I've said previously, possibly in a now deleted post) I tend to stick with the numbers of positive tests while keeping in mind that there will also be some people who get a sniffle but don't get tested (thinking it's just a sniffle) and the asymptomatics of course. 

The seven day rolling average of positive tests you posted does show a steady rise in cases but for the first couple of weeks in July they were bouncing around between around 500 and around 750.  Over the last couple of weeks the numbers have consistently been in the 700s and of course now have hit the 800s.  Why that is I don't know.  It could be because we are now testing like crazy, especially in the hot spots, but when I looked at the most recent list of cases per local authority area (which my local paper produces each week), there had been a high number of rises, including in my own local authority area (albeit from 3 cases one week to 5 last week but we did have a few weeks with no cases at all).

10 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

I haven't seen the new laws. just Hancock saying it is the law.

I'd also add another neighbour has 4 or 5 mates round now.

In which case, your area could be looking at a lockdown in the near future, depending upon whether others obey the law and carry your neighbour with them, which would simply be the same as has been happening all along IMO.

4 hours ago, redjonn said:

yep I get your comment - I can see that over a weekend, but I do wonder when its not week days when people would normally be working when not taking holiday time..

That of course leads us to what the demographic is of those able to be on the beach week days when not taking holiday time.

There are still around 3.5 million on furlough don't forget and of course those working will not have taken holidays.  Where I work we were down to five people working on Friday out of a team of 30 as the rest had taken the day off (presumably to go to the beach - north west beaches were apparently as busy as the south coast ones).

4 hours ago, silverback said:

If the virus is airborne spread then outdoors is more of a risk than indoors as it would be carried further by the wind.the lets get locked down and be safe.

According to the scientists it is precisely that carrying away which makes it safer outdoors as there is dissipation.  

2 hours ago, Saintslass said:

According to the scientists it is precisely that carrying away which makes it safer outdoors as there is dissipation.  

But if someone coughs or sneezes nearby while your sat up park and its breezy out i reckon it will travel a fair distance more than in your front room,who knows but am told my other hobby with the racing is on hold a bit longer due to this case of it been spred in a crowd(sat 2m apart) while sat around track with the cars wafting past at high speeds?.

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm now at the point where I am just completely fed up of people. I've tried my best to leave people to it and have a live and let live attitude for my own sanity, but now I've just had enough of people! 

I feel like we are in an episode of Black Mirror, all people are bothered about is taking photos and selfies and sod the virus and social distancing. I've been away for a few days so not really keeping up with things, but so many people are posting photos of them hugging people, arms round each other in groups, in cars together even in hot tubs that I assumed I must have missed a relaxation of rules. But no, they are just being ######. 

Same everywhere Dave. A few people have openly said they’ve had enough; that it’s impinging on their freedom not being able to do what they want and if some people die prematurely, then so be it. Couple of people in work are being d**** as well...

Archived