coronavirus

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lets get the full lockdown for 2 weeks, been past several houses today and there are builders working in groups on them doing extensions and other work, the only way to make this work is make it same for everyone

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

21 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

It's the police's job to enforce the law, not what they think the law should be. Already some of the stories are gross overreactions and the sort of things that can very easily turn public opinion against the quarantine. Summonsing someone to court for "multiple people from the same household going to the shops for non-essential items", really? 

Why do some people have to wait for a law to be passed before they act sensibly, thinking of others? Its grossly irresponsible for a self-styled "human rights" solicitor to encourage people to put others at risk. He should be out there telling people to follow the advice, direction, whatever. He's a jerk. 

Firstly, the solicitor involved has made clear on twitter that people should follow the official guidance. 

Secondly, who has been summonsed to court? 

Thirdly, I guess irresponsible people could perhaps be accused of endangering human life. 

36 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You just can't help yourself, can you. The exit door to the political dogma thread is right there for you. 

I agree...

27 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Why do some people have to wait for a law to be passed before they act sensibly, thinking of others? Its grossly irresponsible for a self-styled "human rights" solicitor to encourage people to put others at risk. He should be out there telling people to follow the advice, direction, whatever. He's a jerk. 

...perhaps for this also.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

13 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

I'm pulling together a group from my Data Analytics team at work, looking like we should have 6-10 people (of 10) volunteering 8 hours each a week.

I've also rolled it out to our wider Data Analytics section of 100 people, so I wouldn't be surprised if we have quite a few teams volunteer. 

If you're going to be talking data analytics and business intelligence from it, you'll have a few folk on this forum getting moist palms in excitement... be careful as you may over-excite them ?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Since we're on about data again... This published today by espn regarding continued suspension of sport in China. 

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/nba/story?id=28975749&_slug_=china-delays-re-start-basketball-other-events 

In there are comments suggesting that data about asymptomatic carriers will soon be released by the Chinese. 

" While the spread of the disease has slowed dramatically in China and some aspects of life are headed toward normalcy, sports officials are concerned about asymptomatic carriers, sources said. The Chinese government announced this week that it soon plans to release official numbers about people who have been found to be asymptomatic, a category that has previously not been broken out in public statistics."

19 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Since we're on about data again... This published today by espn regarding continued suspension of sport in China. 

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/nba/story?id=28975749&_slug_=china-delays-re-start-basketball-other-events 

In there are comments suggesting that data about asymptomatic carriers will soon be released by the Chinese. 

" While the spread of the disease has slowed dramatically in China and some aspects of life are headed toward normalcy, sports officials are concerned about asymptomatic carriers, sources said. The Chinese government announced this week that it soon plans to release official numbers about people who have been found to be asymptomatic, a category that has previously not been broken out in public statistics."

The data regarding the number and percentage of asymptomatic carriers would be really interesting to see.

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

The data regarding the number and percentage of asymptomatic carriers would be really interesting to see.

Yep. Continued suspension of sport makes you wonder. From the same article, although not clear if it refers to the same government announcement.

"The government specifically shut down the possibility of marathons and encouraged citizens to work out by themselves and in groups connected through the internet."

Reading up on the press conference is difficult. It was stated that the rate of infection increased, in line with expectations, but shortly after it was described as plateauing. I can't see the actual numbers they referred to, are they anywhere? 

And how confident can we be in a plateau based on the fact we are acknowledging we aren't testing that high a number? 

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Hell's teeth.

I may be looking in the wrong place but are the deaths broken down by age, gender (etc) anywhere?

This article shows statistics on the first 108 people killed:

Three quarters of the UK's first coronavirus fatalities were over the age of 75, according to official statistics. 

Details of the first 108 people to die from COVID-19 in England and Wales have emerged today in figures revealing deaths outside of NHS hospitals for the first time.

They show that 59 per cent of the victims up to March 20 were male, a total of 64 out of 108, while 44 women died.

Only one person under the age of 44 was counted among the fatalities and 73 per cent (79 people) were over the age of 75.

The numbers, published by the Government's Office for National Statistics, revealed that the true death toll of the virus may be 24 per cent higher than NHS data shows.

The ONS recorded 210 deaths up to and including March 20 in England and Wales, during which time the Department of Health tallied only 170.

The higher figure includes anyone who had COVID-19 mentioned on their death certificate, whether it was a direct cause of death or not. Some may not have even been tested. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8171003/Statistics-reveal-know-UK-coronavirus-victims.html

its time for a different advert telling us to stay in rather than the one with chris whitty "asking " us to stay in, he looks so weak and frail himself with less authority than a dead jellyfish - how about one with ray winstone instead? "right you lot.... lets get this straight...……….some cold hard facts...…………...and a good old warning" 

Saw this on Facebook

This Pandemic has created a new type of situation, known as the Schrodinger's cripple. It's when the person is deemed to have a ailment that would make it pointless to give them a ICU hospital bed, or expensive drugs, if they caught Covid 19. However, these are the same people the DWP claim are not sick or disabled enough for certain disability benefits. I have a few friends who are classed as Schrodinger's cripple's and they reckon they deserve a badge. I say they deserve a T.shirt too. I deserve a honorary badge, cause I coined the term, Schrodinger's cripple.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

This article shows statistics on the first 108 people killed:

Three quarters of the UK's first coronavirus fatalities were over the age of 75, according to official statistics. 

Details of the first 108 people to die from COVID-19 in England and Wales have emerged today in figures revealing deaths outside of NHS hospitals for the first time.

They show that 59 per cent of the victims up to March 20 were male, a total of 64 out of 108, while 44 women died.

Only one person under the age of 44 was counted among the fatalities and 73 per cent (79 people) were over the age of 75.

The numbers, published by the Government's Office for National Statistics, revealed that the true death toll of the virus may be 24 per cent higher than NHS data shows.

The ONS recorded 210 deaths up to and including March 20 in England and Wales, during which time the Department of Health tallied only 170.

The higher figure includes anyone who had COVID-19 mentioned on their death certificate, whether it was a direct cause of death or not. Some may not have even been tested. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8171003/Statistics-reveal-know-UK-coronavirus-victims.html

This is helpful thanks. 

1 minute ago, Niels said:

This is helpful thanks. 

Why?

I'm interested.

Why is it helpful?

Is it because it is the most disgraceful, god-awful, mangled pile of total garbage I've seen in print since at least, er, yesterday?

Three quarters of a tiny sample size from an event that hasn't happened before.

Gender breakdown from a H-U-G-E sample of 108 dead bodies.

"...death toll MAY be..."

ONS can't even agree with DoH figures.

"...some may not have even been tested..." 

Please tell me it's "helpful" in that at least one of you will stop listening to this endlessly regurgitated nonsense that is passed off as "statistics" day in and day out. Why do we let the press do this?

The last one was the "cataclysm" of the Australian bushfires. No worse than previous years (do your research).

Oh, and stop doing that exponential thing - real life isn't that predictable. It could be better, it could be worse.

NOBODY KNOWS.

EVERYONE'S GUESSING.

56 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Saw this on Facebook

This Pandemic has created a new type of situation, known as the Schrodinger's cripple. It's when the person is deemed to have a ailment that would make it pointless to give them a ICU hospital bed, or expensive drugs, if they caught Covid 19. However, these are the same people the DWP claim are not sick or disabled enough for certain disability benefits. I have a few friends who are classed as Schrodinger's cripple's and they reckon they deserve a badge. I say they deserve a T.shirt too. I deserve a honorary badge, cause I coined the term, Schrodinger's cripple.

"Clever", but ultimately pathetic.

a knock on effect of the virus is the "absolutely" syndrome - where any person interviewed on tv or radio about it, from any sphere of life  starts their answer automatically with the word absolutely .

10 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Why?

I'm interested.

Why is it helpful?

Is it because it is the most disgraceful, god-awful, mangled pile of total garbage I've seen in print since at least, er, yesterday?

Three quarters of a tiny sample size from an event that hasn't happened before.

Gender breakdown from a H-U-G-E sample of 108 dead bodies.

"...death toll MAY be..."

ONS can't even agree with DoH figures.

"...some may not have even been tested..." 

Please tell me it's "helpful" in that at least one of you will stop listening to this endlessly regurgitated nonsense that is passed off as "statistics" day in and day out. Why do we let the press do this?

The last one was the "cataclysm" of the Australian bushfires. No worse than previous years (do your research).

Oh, and stop doing that exponential thing - real life isn't that predictable. It could be better, it could be worse.

NOBODY KNOWS.

EVERYONE'S GUESSING.

5 minutes ago, BryanC said:

"Clever", but ultimately pathetic.

Find isolation difficult are you ?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

One of the most traumatic things about a highly infectious disease with no cure must be to know your loved one is dying but being unable to be there to support them and say your farewell.  I hope I never have to go through what the loved ones of that young lad went through.  I am sure the staff were wonderful with the young guy in his final hours.  RIP

Archived