coronavirus

7 hours ago, gazza77 said:

I can see where this is likely to end up. I was on annual leave when lock down started. I'd planned to go out on my Ducati that week, and decided against it over the first weekend to get some jobs done. Consequently I missed the boat, and obviously haven't been able to since. 

This weekend, I've spent most of the time working, knowing that a good chunk of the urgent stuff will be over by the end of next week, and I'd be able to relax over Easter and at least get a couple of good walks in (given I live on the edge of the moors). What's now likely to happen is that there will be a ban on leaving home for exercise, meaning I'll have timed it badly again. I accept it's all for the greater good, but it would be hugely appreciated if those ignoring the current guidance/rules would stop making things worse for the rest of us. 

I'm just grateful that we own about 10 acres of land, so worst case scenario is I have to walk the dog and do other exercise by going around and around and around... 

A workmate of mine ( 5ft 6in tall and about 9 stones ) had a Ducati Monster. I was working  in the works yard one Friday lunch time when he walked past me to get on his bike. He said " I'm just going to the bank, I'll be back in 20 minutes ". The bank was 10 minutes walk away but he went on his bike.

About an hour later I saw him walking back through the gates. I said " Where's the bike ? " 

He said " Gone, it's been stolen ". It had been chained up in the special area for motor bikes right in the centre of town 40 yards from the bank in broad daylight under a security camera. Unfortunately the camera was found not to be working and he never saw the bike again.

When the insurance money came through he went out and bought  - another Ducati Monster.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He hasn’t looked well and the pressure from others to “step up into his Churchill moment”, often from his side of the political divide have probably been counterproductive rather than letting him rest. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

That is very worrying about Boris.  He didn't look well on his videos or when he appeared on the doorstep of No.10 to clap the NHS workers on Thursday night.  I do hope he pulls through.

I called in on my Mum this afternoon as I do stuff for her on a Sunday and she was feeling 'wobbly'.  As the afternoon drew on she developed a dry irritable cough.  I'm now staying with her to monitor her.  No temperature as yet and she seems quite perky but if it is Covid then it could just as easily make a quick turn for the worse.

1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

That is very worrying about Boris.  He didn't look well on his videos or when he appeared on the doorstep of No.10 to clap the NHS workers on Thursday night.  I do hope he pulls through.

I called in on my Mum this afternoon as I do stuff for her on a Sunday and she was feeling 'wobbly'.  As the afternoon drew on she developed a dry irritable cough.  I'm now staying with her to monitor her.  No temperature as yet and she seems quite perky but if it is Covid then it could just as easily make a quick turn for the worse.

Good grief, I am sorry. The stress you have gone through in this last month is immense. For the little it is worth, my best wishes for your Mum.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

12 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Best wishes to your mother. I know we don't ever see eye to eye but I do mean that. Hope she gets well soon.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You can add my best wishes to that. My mum's 89, really independent, won't stay in and therefore a real worry.

My Mum is 87, and as with yours very independent, she has however, eventually, taken on board that this is serious and decided she is staying in.  Hope your mother sees sense and decides it is better for her to stay in soon rather than to later.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Good grief, I am sorry. The stress you have gone through in this last month is immense. For the little it is worth, my best wishes for your Mum.

That's a lovely message Bob, you are always ready to offer your best wishes which I know myself do help.

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

Best wishes. 

It is very worrying and frightening.

Here is a rough translation of the latest  French govt. "attestation" updated s few days ago, that EVERYONE must carry, signed and dated. As you can only go out for only ONE of these reasons at a time, you must produce a new one each time you go out. Basically the same as in the UK but with muscle, sanction, but only one reason at a time. Very specific re exercise.  No cycling orvogging in pairs and above.

I certify that my trip is related to the following reason (tick the box) authorised by article 3 of the decree of March 23, 2020 prescribing the general measures necessary to deal with the Covid epidemic19 during the state of emergency. 

1: Travel between the home and the place of exercise of the professional activity, when they are essential for the exercise of activities which cannot be organized in the form of telework or professional trips which cannot be deferred.

2. Travel to purchase supplies necessary for professional activity and purchases of basic necessities.

3 in establishments whose activities remain authorized (list on government.fr).

4., Consultations and care that cannot be provided remotely and that cannot be deferred; consultations and care of patients with a long-term condition.

5. Travel for compelling family reasons, for assistance to vulnerable people or childcare.

6. Brief trips, within the limit of one hour daily and within a maximum radius of one kilometer around the home, linked either to the individual physical activity of the people, to the exclusion of any collective sporting practice and any proximity to other people, only with people in the same home, or the needs of pets.

7. Judicial or administrative summons. Participation in missions of general interest at the request of the administrative authority

2 hours ago, Padge said:

My Mum is 87, and as with yours very independent, she has however, eventually, taken on board that this is serious and decided she is staying in.  Hope your mother sees sense and decides it is better for her to stay in soon rather than to later.

My dad's 84 , quite fit ( only stopped playing competitive badminton a couple of years ago due to injury ( last time we played I beat him , so have avoided a re match , meaning I won our last game ) but he has kept out of our house , and us his , although he's still picking up the dog during the week ( what difference that makes who knows ? ) as we've shared him for a decade ( they are on a similar level ?) , scares me to death 

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Twice in my life I've gone to purchase a motorbike ( this is after being denied a pushbike as a kid by my parents because " we lived on a main rd " ? ) , on both occasions circumstances prevented my purchase ,I took this as a sign 

I drive a Land Rover 

I was the same. My dad had an motorbike accident when he was 21. All my mates had push bikes, I had to walk/run everywhere. 

Ironically, I'm the only one of us to now ride a motorbike. 

For something to do, I was messing around with the data from the BBC/Johns Hopkins to try to extract some comparisons. (No log scales ?

By comparing mortality rate to positive tests, you can get a measure of the level of testing done by each country. i.e. lower % implies more testing is being done (testing all with symptoms rather than just those who are hospitalised). There seem to be two clear groups.

PercentTestMortality.png.bbe17b58cd701c6f3de662e930e53ecf.png

By comparing daily mortality rate, you can get a rough measure of how much the spread is being controlled. (no data for France for 31/3) or how much the curve is being flattened. (with a week or so behind actions)

MortalityRate.png.e9853a5aa110812c868c4120ff91ee77.png

It seems South Korea and Germany were quick off the mark and doing lots of testing, whereas the USA have upped their testing now, but their death rate has not yet responded to the isolation actions. Other countries seem to have turned the corner and the death rates are now levelling off or declining.

My own particular interest, Indonesia, however, is a somewhat different situation, and would appear from the stats to be under control, but this belies the reality, which could get awfully messy very quickly. There has been some level of lock down fairly early in the piece, but mostly it's just ostrich tactics. Officially, there are currently 2,273 cases and 198 deaths. The health system has zero capacity to deal with any kind of outbreak, particularly outside the big cities. 

One thing that prevents any quality data is that there is no such thing as a death certificate and no requirement for a post-mortem examination or cause of death. People who die are being wrapped in plastic and buried without being tested.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52124193

9 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Really hope that your mum is ok and felling better soon. 

9 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Anxiety is one of the biggest issues now as any symptom that presents that is associated with c-19 is a worry.

I'm sure you know the drill. Any sign of deterioration, get on the blower. 

I hope she's ok. At least you are with her.

58 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Anxiety is one of the biggest issues now as any symptom that presents that is associated with c-19 is a worry.

I'm sure you know the drill. Any sign of deterioration, get on the blower. 

I hope she's ok. At least you are with her.

Thank you.

I do think she is ok.  I think yesterday may have been a false alarm.  This morning the cough is gone and there is still no sign of fever and so I think yesterday may have been the consequences of being 80 years old but I'm staying today just to make sure.  As you say, anxiety is a big thing at present and that in itself is wearying.  Needless to say I didn't get much sleep last night!

11 hours ago, Padge said:

I don't really know what more I can do. I go around to her house a couple times a week to talk to her from a safe distance and I speak to her every night on the phone. The last time I tried scaring her by telling her if she gets the virus she won't survive but I feel that the isolation is worse than death for her in a way.

My sister sees her every Sunday for Sunday lunch and my sister works in a pharmacy ! 

I feel it's only a matter of time and I'm beyond worried about her.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52177586

"The tiger, named Nadia, is believed to be the first known case of an animal infected with Covid-19 in the US.

The Bronx Zoo, in New York City, says the test result was confirmed by the National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Iowa.

Nadia, along with six other big cats, is thought to have been infected by an asymptomatic zoo keeper.

The cats started showing symptoms, including a dry cough, late last month after exposure to the employee, who has not been identified."

Archived