Jump to content

coronavirus


Recommended Posts

All  i know is that my wife will not go and visit her mother in Devon now as she is just recovering from final (successful) bout of chemo for Lymphoma, is 87, has diabetes and we are in Berkshire 2 miles from the shut primary school and with the first confirmed death in the hospital on my route to work

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I’m really surprised it’s not been done here yet. Get some Skype connections and get folk speaking that way.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today at work, we were told that it would be a good idea to start taking our laptops home at the end of every workday, in case we were advised to start working from home at short notice. No panic, but being prepared in case of disruption.

  • Like 1

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, doc said:

I shook someone's hand today. Should I self isolate? ??

Depends what you shook it with. 

  • Haha 2

“If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are.” Zen Proverb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Today at work, we were told that it would be a good idea to start taking our laptops home at the end of every workday, in case we were advised to start working from home at short notice. No panic, but being prepared in case of disruption.

Yeah we had that steer a few days back. I expect that will kick in soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I appreciate that Coronavirus is a very serious threat to a large number of people and should be treated as such.

However hearing the daily/hourly news updates of infections/deaths is now getting to the point of achieving nothing but spreading panic.

As a comparison, the average number of deaths from flu in England for the last five seasons, 2014/15 to 2018/19, was 17,000 deaths annually. This ranged from 1,692 deaths last season, 2018/19, to 28,330 deaths in 2014/15.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My government employer is STILL forcing us all to move around the office again next week and I had to disinfect my keyboard again today as someone used it in the evening.  And the person who came back from Italy but didn't even get a test is still at work, quite possibly infecting us all without any of us yet realising it.

But hey, they have now provided us with handwash at the sinks in the kitchen areas.  Wow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

My government employer is STILL forcing us all to move around the office again next week and I had to disinfect my keyboard again today as someone used it in the evening.  And the person who came back from Italy but didn't even get a test is still at work, quite possibly infecting us all without any of us yet realising it.

But hey, they have now provided us with handwash at the sinks in the kitchen areas.  Wow.

Glad to see that you own up it is your Government ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

My government employer is STILL forcing us all to move around the office again next week and I had to disinfect my keyboard again today as someone used it in the evening.  And the person who came back from Italy but didn't even get a test is still at work, quite possibly infecting us all without any of us yet realising it.

But hey, they have now provided us with handwash at the sinks in the kitchen areas.  Wow.

We’ve banned hotdesking, handshakes, and even the shared mugs cupboard  (bring your own, clean your own now). Every employee can work at home as they see fit, with seniors setting the example that it’s fine, and we’ve paid for new Zoom videoconference licenses. And we’re a glacial slow NHS organisation. 

Sounds line you’ve a paranoid type in charge who doesn’t think people out of sight will work. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I buy my groceries online and usually if you order before 9pm you will get them the following afternoon. This week I ordered on Thursday and the first available delivery was Sunday afternoon. So while people may not be hoarding they appear to be avoiding crowded places. The only items I noticed that were out of stock were budget generic lines. I checked again yesterday and the cheapest milk was "unavailable" but every line of full-priced milk seemed to be in stock. Good thing I'm not suspicious or I might think there were other factors at play here. I noticed the same thing with other obvious "hoardables" like pasta.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The state of people panic buying toilet roll ?

Are we going to start needing rationing and coupons again?

This is sensible.

It was about ten years ago when I worked on preparedness for something like this. "Panic buying" is a newspaper term, it is nonsense. People are making reasonable decisions to stock up on items. Any alteration to buying patterns (people changing their main shopping day to a Tuesday, or starting to but what they buy on Tuesday to Friday) will lead to disruption. Toilet paper does not expire and is very important, particularly in the event of illness.

Governments tend to panic before people. New Orleans fell into chaos not after the flood, but after FEMA decided it must be so.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ckn said:

We’ve banned hotdesking, handshakes, and even the shared mugs cupboard  (bring your own, clean your own now). Every employee can work at home as they see fit, with seniors setting the example that it’s fine, and we’ve paid for new Zoom videoconference licenses. And we’re a glacial slow NHS organisation. 

Sounds line you’ve a paranoid type in charge who doesn’t think people out of sight will work. 

Truckers would be key people to keep well and first in line for any vaccine, they travel and keep medical supply lines going.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is nice to see that there are few people who do not believe in Covid being a real thing. This is despite it being new and people not understanding the biology, in contrast to climate change. It does show the power anti-science propaganda can have if implemented.

  • Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Spalding Guardian newspaper on line reports that PHE reports that between one and four cases have been reported in Lincolnshire.

The paper goes on to note:

Panic buying in Spalding

Schools closed due to coronavirus fears

Plans for former sausage factory.

What? What on earth would they use such a factory for? ??

“If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are.” Zen Proverb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JohnM said:

The Spalding Guardian newspaper on line reports that PHE reports that between one and four cases have been reported in Lincolnshire.

The paper goes on to note:

Panic buying in Spalding

Schools closed due to coronavirus fears

Plans for former sausage factory.

What? What on earth would they use such a factory for? ??

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

  • Haha 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Haha 4

“If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are.” Zen Proverb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The movies got it wrong, Mad Max didn’t start due to a nuclear war, the great Australian Toilet Roll Wars is 2020 are all we need. 

“You know the law! Two men enter, one man wipes!”

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...