coronavirus

21 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

My government employer is STILL forcing us all to move around the office again next week and I had to disinfect my keyboard again today as someone used it in the evening.  And the person who came back from Italy but didn't even get a test is still at work, quite possibly infecting us all without any of us yet realising it.

But hey, they have now provided us with handwash at the sinks in the kitchen areas.  Wow.

We’ve banned hotdesking, handshakes, and even the shared mugs cupboard  (bring your own, clean your own now). Every employee can work at home as they see fit, with seniors setting the example that it’s fine, and we’ve paid for new Zoom videoconference licenses. And we’re a glacial slow NHS organisation. 

Sounds line you’ve a paranoid type in charge who doesn’t think people out of sight will work. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I buy my groceries online and usually if you order before 9pm you will get them the following afternoon. This week I ordered on Thursday and the first available delivery was Sunday afternoon. So while people may not be hoarding they appear to be avoiding crowded places. The only items I noticed that were out of stock were budget generic lines. I checked again yesterday and the cheapest milk was "unavailable" but every line of full-priced milk seemed to be in stock. Good thing I'm not suspicious or I might think there were other factors at play here. I noticed the same thing with other obvious "hoardables" like pasta.

9 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

The state of people panic buying toilet roll ?

Are we going to start needing rationing and coupons again?

This is sensible.

It was about ten years ago when I worked on preparedness for something like this. "Panic buying" is a newspaper term, it is nonsense. People are making reasonable decisions to stock up on items. Any alteration to buying patterns (people changing their main shopping day to a Tuesday, or starting to but what they buy on Tuesday to Friday) will lead to disruption. Toilet paper does not expire and is very important, particularly in the event of illness.

Governments tend to panic before people. New Orleans fell into chaos not after the flood, but after FEMA decided it must be so.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

6 hours ago, ckn said:

We’ve banned hotdesking, handshakes, and even the shared mugs cupboard  (bring your own, clean your own now). Every employee can work at home as they see fit, with seniors setting the example that it’s fine, and we’ve paid for new Zoom videoconference licenses. And we’re a glacial slow NHS organisation. 

Sounds line you’ve a paranoid type in charge who doesn’t think people out of sight will work. 

Truckers would be key people to keep well and first in line for any vaccine, they travel and keep medical supply lines going.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

It is nice to see that there are few people who do not believe in Covid being a real thing. This is despite it being new and people not understanding the biology, in contrast to climate change. It does show the power anti-science propaganda can have if implemented.

The Spalding Guardian newspaper on line reports that PHE reports that between one and four cases have been reported in Lincolnshire.

The paper goes on to note:

Panic buying in Spalding

Schools closed due to coronavirus fears

Plans for former sausage factory.

What? What on earth would they use such a factory for? ??

Just now, JohnM said:

The Spalding Guardian newspaper on line reports that PHE reports that between one and four cases have been reported in Lincolnshire.

Panic buying in Spalding

Schools closed due to coronavirus fears

Plans for former sausage factory.

What? What on earth would they use such a factory for? ??

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

The movies got it wrong, Mad Max didn’t start due to a nuclear war, the great Australian Toilet Roll Wars is 2020 are all we need. 

“You know the law! Two men enter, one man wipes!”

20 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I am really peed off with people playing it down compared to flu. 

Flu is serious, it is why I and many others got our flu jab. Something we can't do with this. 

This is spot on. Comparing it to flu or even traffic accidents should emphasise that it matters.

4 hours ago, Bob8 said:

This is spot on. Comparing it to flu or even traffic accidents should emphasise that it matters.

Flu and traffic are also already ‘priced in’, we expect them to a certain degree.  New things cause much more uncertainty.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Been talking to my neighbour who has been on his monthly stocking up trip with his misses to  Costco at Watford. He says they have security guarding the toilet rolls and limiting it to a pack ( of 40) to one per customer as people have been buying dozens of packs at a time and causing a bit of an issue.  

I went to my local Sainsbury's this afternoon. The bogroll aisles were empty and being frantically replenished. Do we actually deserve to survive this?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

13 hours ago, JohnM said:

Panic buying in Spalding

Panic on the streets of Spalding

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

4 minutes ago, johnmatrix said:

Literally not bothered about it. The press are making it worse.

Keep calm and carry on, we've become soft. Crazy.

You won’t be saying that in the dark post-toilet roll days to come. You’ll be pleading for soft after a year or two of emergency Izal.

When I were a lad a kindle would have been  a dream of how to get rid of clingons.We had to use old newspaper.

You snowflakes don't know you are born.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Archived