Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

My own (admittedly limited) experience is that there is considerably more traffic about this week than there has been - queues forming at junctions and roadworks where there haven't been any for a couple of weeks and noticeably more cars on the M62. I assume the stats shown in the updates are based on daily traffic counting on a number of (the same) roads. 

Don't forget we had Easter.  Some people are still going out to work and they will have booked Easter off.  They will not have been able to go anywhere but being home in the garden (or the park) will still have been more attractive than going into work for many.   That may explain things, or it may not!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, gingerjon said:

There’s also an issue that “underlying” may not mean long term and chronic ... it may also mean an additional condition created by the impact of covid 19.

I think many people are a bit deluded about how healthy they are.

If you can do thirty push ups, a 5K in less than thirty minutes and squat on your flat feet, you probably do have a basic level of fitness. But, it is amazing how many people do not come close and consider themselves fit.

Asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, being overweight, I would suggest most people on this board would fit into at least one of these.

Edited by Bob8
  • Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Man of Kent said:

So we just sit in our caves until it’s all gone away do we?

Based on what was said at the press conference today, unless or until we get a vaccine or an effective therapy rolling off the production lines, some degree of social disruption will be ongoing because the disease has to be managed in order to avoid exponential growth at a rapid rate, which this disease is very capable of.

I don't envy the policy makers picking their way out of this nightmare.  But I prefer to be socially disrupted for however long it takes than the UK or even parts of the UK looking like northern Italy did when it was first hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

I think many people are a bit deluded about how healthy they are.

If you can do thirty push ups, a 10K in less than thirty minutes and squat on your flat feet, you probably do have a basic level of fitness. But, it is amazing how many people do not come close and consider themselves fit.

Asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, being overweight, I would suggest most people on this board would fit into at least one of these.

On this board, some people appear not to have noticed that one of the biggest factors in dying appears to be “being male”.

  • Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Saintslass said:

Based on what was said at the press conference today, unless or until we get a vaccine or an effective therapy rolling off the production lines, some degree of social disruption will be ongoing because the disease has to be managed in order to avoid exponential growth at a rapid rate, which this disease is very capable of.

I don't envy the policy makers picking their way out of this nightmare.  But I prefer to be socially disrupted for however long it takes than the UK or even parts of the UK looking like northern Italy did when it was first hit.

Seems that way on social distancing. Masks and queues, and a slower pace of life perhaps.

I’m OK with that. What I’m not OK with is my family being subject to indefinite lockdown to protect the weak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Seems that way on social distancing. Masks and queues, and a slower pace of life perhaps.

I’m OK with that. What I’m not OK with is my family being subject to indefinite lockdown to protect the weak. 

Gosh, you are brutal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Again, worth pointing out that he's only using the data on deaths in English hospitals so quite possibly not the full picture.

But was the first academic to call the peak as 8th April 2020 which is now conventional wisdom. So clearly getting something right. Though I take your point in that there are lies, damn lies and statistics in that countries are not recording coronavirus deaths in the a uniform manne,r one example being the UK apparently having no-one who is being recorded as having recovered from the virus

It will not be until 18-24 months post outbreak with sober analysis that we will be able to determine who got this right and who got this wrong.


?

Quote

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

 
Eddie Demsey RMT
 
Quote

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

So a chippy and diy shop are essential?

DIY shops need to supply hardware for repairs, as simple as a tap washer to a toilet cistern are an electrical distribution board. B&Q are only open for click and collect and you cannot wander around the store.

People do not sit in a chippy, they go, they collect, they walk away. Food is essential. As long as the staff can social distance there is not a problem. Places like McDonalds cannot socially isolate staff enough because of the small footprint of many of their kitchens, KFC have apparently worked out how do it for many of their shops and are reopening those. 

  • Thanks 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Seems that way on social distancing. Masks and queues, and a slower pace of life perhaps.

I’m OK with that. What I’m not OK with is my family being subject to indefinite lockdown to protect the weak. 

It is a bit snowflakey.

Many of your family count as weak, I am sure. It is annoying not to be able to go to pubs or restaurants, particularly if you work for or own a pub or restaurant. Otherwise, it is annoying.

Society is built around making the most out of average people, who are typically unfit and not significantly individually intelligent.


"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

But was the first academic to call the peak as 8th April 2020 which is now conventional wisdom. So clearly getting something right. Though I take your point in that there are lies, damn lies and statistics in that countries are not recording coronavirus deaths in the a uniform manne,r one example being the UK apparently having no-one who is being recorded as having recovered from the virus

It will not be until 18-24 months post outbreak with sober analysis that we will be able to determine who got this right and who got this wrong.

Like I said English hospital numbers only and even then looking at his more detailed analysis, the peak was around the 8th for London and the SE with other regions afterwards (NE and Yorks possibly not even there yet). 

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

It is a bit snowflakey.

Not really. It would be snowflakey to want to keep taking government hand-outs and stay at home while the economy goes down the sh*tter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Not really. It would be snowflakey to want to keep taking government hand-outs and stay at home while the economy goes down the sh*tter. 

Or getting dramatic.

Well, it is always what other people do ?


"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw my daughter today for the first time in 3 weeks,  feels like 3 years.


Sex and Money are like Oxygen

They're not important until you're not getting enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

I saw my daughter today for the first time in 3 weeks,  feels like 3 years.

On the upside, it does make you value it more than a routine thing.


"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I think many people are a bit deluded about how healthy they are.

If you can do thirty push ups, a 10K in less than thirty minutes and squat on your flat feet, you probably do have a basic level of fitness. But, it is amazing how many people do not come close and consider themselves fit.

Asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure, being overweight, I would suggest most people on this board would fit into at least one of these.

I’d second this. Two thirds of UK adults are over weight. Anyone who thinks they maybe have room to lose a couple of pounds probably don’t realise they more than likely are considered obese and hypertensive from a clinical point of view and would be considered to have multiple underlying health conditions.

When people hear about those dying with underlying health conditions on the news they assume it’s all advanced cancer or COPD.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

So we just sit in our caves until it’s all gone away do we?

I'm teetering close to the political thread, but there are some inside and outside government (all parties to keep it neutral) who will agree with your sentiments, but not necessary your 'only the weak' argument. They will be looking at the economy and costs to the country.

It will be a very tough decision for any politician, to ease restrictions knowing more people will die in doing so.  However, once you commit to a lockdown, its rather like CPR, you have to stick to it to its safe to stop, stopping cause you are a bit tired is no longer an option.  

  • Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a slightly different tack, I enjoyed listening to the Chief of Staff at the press conference today.  He gave such a stirring speech, in which he told us a lot about what the forces have been up to in their support of the national effort, that when he had finished I really wanted to stand to attention (I never can remember which hand I'm supposed to use to salute though).

I felt right proud of our forces folk today.  They've gone about their business with their amazing skills and nobody claps for them on a Thursday night and yet without them I think most of what has happened which is good would not have happened, at least not as quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

I never can remember which hand I'm supposed to use to salute though

The right hand.

 

*unless it's the navy, then anything goes.

 

**Thats a joke, its still the right.  

  • Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confirmation that cats can get covid. From the BBC

 

It's long been a worry for pet owners, but now it's been confirmed: domestic cats can contract the coronavirus and show symptoms.

Two pet cats in New York state in the US tested positive for the virus after developing "mild respiratory illnesses", the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said in a joint statement. The two cats weren't part of the same family.

None of the people who lived with the first cat were confirmed to be ill with the coronavirus, so it's thought the cat either caught it from an asymptomatic household member or from someone outside their home.

The owner of the second cat had tested positive for the coronavirus before their cat was tested.

In the statement, the CDC and USDA urged people not to abandon their pets, because "there is no evidence that pets play a role in spreading the virus in the US". Instead, they recommend keeping cats indoors where possible.

These aren't the first animals in the US to contract the virus. Earlier this month Nadia, a tiger at Bronx Zoo, tested positive.

A pet cat in Hong Kong tested positive for the virus in late March but showed no symptoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Padge said:

DIY shops need to supply hardware for repairs, as simple as a tap washer to a toilet cistern are an electrical distribution board. B&Q are only open for click and collect and you cannot wander around the store.

People do not sit in a chippy, they go, they collect, they walk away. Food is essential. As long as the staff can social distance there is not a problem. Places like McDonalds cannot socially isolate staff enough because of the small footprint of many of their kitchens, KFC have apparently worked out how do it for many of their shops and are reopening those. 

Chippy food is not essential.


Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I'm teetering close to the political thread, but there are some inside and outside government (all parties to keep it neutral) who will agree with your sentiments, but not necessary your 'only the weak' argument. They will be looking at the economy and costs to the country.

Quite. Restricting the economically active to protect the inactive is not a good place to be as a species.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...