46 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think there's going to be different geographic scenarios too. London and the wider London commuting area is different to the rest of the UK - both in terms of scale and density of commuters.

How the phased restart comes about is going to be another thing with differences in opinion and no real clear answer. Its extremely reliant upon public adherence to guidance and rules as Sweden and the USA have contrastingly shown.

The point about flattening the curve is essential, its about making sure the hospital admissions are manageable.

Not sure Sweden's a great example. 2.5 times as many deaths as the combined total of the other Scandinavian countries and 3x deaths per capita than the next most affected. But hey, as that country's health advisor said, many were the old and vulnerable in care homes.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

Well my sister's fella is making very small steps in the right direction. From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Not sure Sweden's a great example. 2.5 times as many deaths as the combined total of the other Scandinavian countries and 3x deaths per capita than the next most affected. But hey, as that country's health advisor said, many were the old and vulnerable in care homes.

Sweden is an example of a country that has implemented social distancing and has generally followed the rules.

Flattening the curve for them was possible that way. 

• Like 1

There's an echo in here...

Anyhoo, how would the other national papers respond, apart from the Mirror and Guardian?

Edited by Futtocks

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

whatever the outcome the human race can not afford to abuse nature and the planet much longer before it wipes itself out

• Like 1

they come swinging round that corner, they think they're benny goodman

39 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

A bit political?

10 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Not at all. This section is for factual material. The political section is for fake news.

Posts you’re referring to have been moved. It’s getting tiring now.

• Like 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

39 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

20k+ deaths in just 51 days... ?

20,000+ hospital deaths. This isn't even the cumulative total with care home and community deaths included.

• Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

20,000+ hospital deaths. This isn't even the cumulative total with care home and community deaths included.

Adding 50% is still the conservative option to cover out of hospital deaths. Unsubstantiated but credible views that it’s higher than that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

In a couple of weeks the ONS figures that include all covid deaths will be higher than hospital deaths even though obviously they’ll still be a couple of weeks behind. I wonder if more media sources will start using that number rather than the hospital figures. 

5 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I have to say this is why I found myself reading (and paying for) the FT and Economist. Most of it is not opinion and that which is is clearly marked. It helps but isn’t essential that on many - but definitely not all - issues we have similar beliefs even if they are more trusting of business than I will ever be. (For similar reasons, in normal times, I listen to the World Servic news in preference to anything else).

I’ve pretty much given up on the sites that are filled with opinion-havers-for-coin.

A mate of mine who was an unreconstructed Marxist used to buy The Economist every month. He reckoned it was the best source of objective information on British capitalism you could get your hands on.

• Like 2

Old Faithful we never lose at Wembley

13 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Concerns over increased traffic on the roads expressed today, something picked up by a few of us earlier in the week.

What does the data say?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/04/24/government-tells-uk-businesses-time-get-back-work/amp/

Further evidence of the narrative changing. June recommencement is looking increasingly likely 

It’s clear the government wants sport to continue - albeit behind closed doors at first - and there’s nothing the scared crusties can do about it ? 

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, Ullman said:

A mate of mine who was an unreconstructed Marxist used to buy The Economist every month. He reckoned it was the best source of objective information on British capitalism you could get your hands on.

I remember reading in The Economist on why they favoured democracy and it was wonderfully cold and rational rather than idealistic.

• Like 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

47 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Concerns over increased traffic on the roads expressed today, something picked up by a few of us earlier in the week.

I've seen about 10 motorbikes through our village today, which is more than on a usual Saturday afternoon. I'd expect at least some are keeping off the main roads to keep below the radar. Obviously I can't comment on where they were all going, or if the journey was essential, however if suspect in the case of the two I saw with pillions(one of which was a child), it's likely a leisure trip. Likewise the the group of four together. 

It's doubly infuriating for me. Other than the obvious ignoring of guidelines, for me it's rubbing my face in it, given I'm itching to go out on my own bike, but won't until restrictions are lifted. 

• Like 2

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

48 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

I've seen about 10 motorbikes through our village today, which is more than on a usual Saturday afternoon. I'd expect at least some are keeping off the main roads to keep below the radar. Obviously I can't comment on where they were all going, or if the journey was essential, however if suspect in the case of the two I saw with pillions(one of which was a child), it's likely a leisure trip. Likewise the the group of four together. 

It's doubly infuriating for me. Other than the obvious ignoring of guidelines, for me it's rubbing my face in it, given I'm itching to go out on my own bike, but won't until restrictions are lifted. 

Are motorbikes not allowed? 

Nottinghamshire and then Doncaster to the North are experiencing higher than average increases in positive tests, ICU patients and unfortunately, deaths compared to many other unitary authorities currently. We had a 'slow' start, but it seems to be flat at best, and possible increasing.

Edited by Northern Eel
4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Only for commuting if you can't work at home, essential shopping, etc, same as cars. I'm assuming mainly unnecessary journeys, at least in the main today (see my logic for that assumption in last post). I'd use mine if I was called in to work at the hospital rather than working at home, but not when it would only be a leisure ride. 

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

As i posted a couple of days ago. A mate who is a bike mot tester and whose only other vehicle (he has 2 bikes) is an old VW camper was stopped by Mr Plod on the way to Tesco on bike wit rucksack and told he could have walked to Aldi or CoOp so go home

I used bike to go collect a click and collect (I have a 46l topbox) and having not run for a month it ran like a pig, realised after few mins the choke was stuck open , guessing the unleaded has turned to varnish in the carbs, tapped the choke slide in with a punch and came back the long way around (3 miles not 2) and sorted. Reckon when this lifts mechanics are going to be doing a roaring trade in homestarts and services

11 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Germany has reported an increase in Covid19 cases,and deaths.

May not be a good time to restart the Bundesliga.

This,of course,after some of the the great and good,(Guardian journalists) informed us how far ahead the Germans were when it came to Coronavirus.

Don't need to be great or good to see that Germany is doing better, you don't even need to read any papers, just look at the figures.

Germany 155,782 cases  5,843 deaths

UK  148,377 cases 20,319 deaths